Middletown & New Jersey / East Penn

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Middletown & New Jersey / East Penn

Postby chuxter26 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 pm

The NS H08 currently serves 2 customers at Red Onion and 2 on the Crawford Industrial plus the M&NJ interchange in Middletown.....
chuxter26

Postby B&M 1227 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 am

NYS&W has been handling a fair amount of traffic off the M&NJ, the vast majority of it coming from Syracuse/Binghamton. To quote a higher up "I have no idea how we're gonna handle it if their business picks up like they're saying it will."
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby ccutler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:52 am

Well that's good to hear, both for M&NJ and NYSW. NYSW's NJ traffic looks like its fallen sharply over the last 5 years, hauling less trash and toxic dirt.
ccutler

Postby SecaucusJunction » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

NYSW interchange with East Penn is probably a handful of cars per week at best, so any traffic would be a significant increase. I think their interchange track is very small.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby David Hutchinson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Months ago, NYSW would drop off cars at Warwick with NYSW SU-99. That has stopped. I would usually see lumber flats and box cars there at Warwick on the morning after SU-99 went through. From what I was told, any customer after the M&NJ "takeover", could have their cars brought in by NYSW..... customers before the change, would have to be brought in by NS to Campbell Hall or Middletown.....sounds like the new propane cars could be brought in by NYSW. I was told that the propane is coming in from fracking operations in PA and West Virginia......
David Hutchinson

Postby SecaucusJunction » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm

NS has already been delivering propane cars to MNJ... albeit in smaller numbers so far. People want to see the NYSW gain business but since they don't serve the origination point or have a decent interchange point with MNJ, it's not a practical operation for them.

Hopefully the business gains some steam soon.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby SemperFidelis » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 pm

The propane would most likely be coming from a refining operation of some sort, and most likely not directly from the fields themselves.

I could be wrong, of course.
SemperFidelis

Postby David Hutchinson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 am

looks like (7) propane tank cars were dropped off in Warwick Yard last Wednesday night, by NYSW SU99. As of Sunday afternoon, they were still there. Checked the end car's numbers and it is built for propane service with the reporting marks TEIX.....
David Hutchinson

Postby SecaucusJunction » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 am

I believe there was about 10 of them last night on H70 headed west.
SecaucusJunction

Postby David Hutchinson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am

Looks like SU99 dropped off three or so more propane tank cars in Warwick Yard last night.... the other (7) are still there. The runaround is now full.
David Hutchinson

Postby SecaucusJunction » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:21 am

And I believe H70 had about 5 last night.

I'm guessing the warm weather pattern is hurting this facility from really increasing output.
SecaucusJunction

Postby B&M 1227 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 pm

ccutler wrote:Well that's good to hear, both for M&NJ and NYSW. NYSW's NJ traffic looks like its fallen sharply over the last 5 years, hauling less trash and toxic dirt.

They still handle a fair amount of trash but almost all of it is interchanged out at North Bergen and Croxton. The summertime evil dirt isn't as heavy as it used to be, but was getting daily switches this year when the weather was good.
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan