WCOR - Corning service

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

WCOR - Corning service

Postby nydepot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am

When does the Wellsboro & Corning take cars down into Corning? I've never seen any activity but cars keep changing on Google Maps. Thanks.
nydepot

Re: WCOR - Corning service

Postby scottychaos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am

Despite the name, Wellsboro & Corning, the WCOR doesnt actually run to Corning, only Gang Mills.
What cars, where, on google maps are you referring to?

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages
scottychaos

Postby nydepot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:04 pm

https://goo.gl/maps/C4AqS5arkoB2

I know it interchanges in Gang Mills but I was told two different stories about the NYC track the rest of the way into Corning - as an NS customer and as an WCOR customer.
nydepot

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:32 am

The former NYC Corning Branch is definitely owned by NS from Gang Mills to Corning. I've seen occasional video (on Facebook) of NS servicing World Kitchen with a GP38-2, usually at night.

The confusion comes from the Tioga Central RR having parked a display train on the line at/near Market Street around Christmastime some years ago. I've also heard rumors that TIOC was interested in operating excursions from Market Street (in the pre-G&W era) but I don't think there were any serious discussions on the subject.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby pumpers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 am

The map on the GWRR / Wellsboro and Corning web page is not very helpful, perhaps even confusing:
https://www.gwrr.com/railroads/north_am ... -one-panel
It shows the W&C heading south from Gang Mills, as expected, then also having a spur running into Corning, south of and separate from the Southern Tier main (which I as a non-expert at first glance would assume to be the NYC Corning branch), and then a big "NS" label at the end of the branch in Corning.
pumpers

Postby scottychaos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:16 am

nydepot wrote:https://goo.gl/maps/C4AqS5arkoB2

I know it interchanges in Gang Mills but I was told two different stories about the NYC track the rest of the way into Corning - as an NS customer and as an WCOR customer.

Could there be a "WCOR customer" in downtown Corning, in the sense that their freight comes up or down the WCOR and is handeled by WCOR, but NS still brings the freight from Gang Mills to Corning?

If that were true, it could technically be correct that a WCOR customer exists in Corning.
and it could also be correct that WCOR still does not, and never has, run into Corning! ;)

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages
scottychaos

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am

pumpers wrote:The map on the GWRR / Wellsboro and Corning web page is not very helpful, perhaps even confusing:
https://www.gwrr.com/railroads/north_am ... -one-panel
It shows the W&C heading south from Gang Mills, as expected, then also having a spur running into Corning, south of and separate from the Southern Tier main (which I as a non-expert at first glance would assume to be the NYC Corning branch), and then a big "NS" label at the end of the branch in Corning.

That map is indeed confusing and inaccurate. The only remaining customer on the former NYC Corning Branch north of of Gang Mills is World Kitchen.

I am thinking perhaps the G&W mapmaker(s) mistook the remaining track in Corning with the B&H. WCOR was picking up water trains from the B&H until last year, but the latter is a former EL branch and runs through Painted Post.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Return to New York State Railfan