West side Manhattan freight operations

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

West side Manhattan freight operations

Postby CarterB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:57 pm

What were the last dates of the various freight railroad operations on the west side of Manhattan...by railroad.
B&O, Erie, PRR, LV, DL&W, CNJ, NYC
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Re: West side Manhattan freight operations

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 pm

CarterB wrote:What were the last dates of the various freight railroad operations on the west side of Manhattan...by railroad.
B&O, Erie, PRR, LV, DL&W, CNJ, NYC

The former NYC West Side Line (officially the 30th Street Branch) was operated through 1980 by Conrail. Some local jobs for the Hudson, Harlem, and Putnam lines continued to go on duty at 72nd Street Yard until at least 1974 when the yard was closed and property sold to a developer. The line was reactivated in 1991 so that Amtrak trains could access Penn Station via a new tunnel connection at 34th Street. LIRR West Side Yard opened on the site of NYC 30th Street Yard in 1987, connected to Penn Station by a new ramp.

Erie 28th Street was closed by EL in 1975.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/err28.html

CNJ Bronx Terminal closed in 1961. The Bronx is not Manhattan.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

CNJ West 15th Street - ?? I didn't know CNJ had a Manhattan West Side operation until I saw this link about a facility at West 15th Street, though there seems to be little recorded about it after 1901.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnj15.html

B&O West 26th Street - float operations ended 1973/1974.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/bo26.html

LV West 27th Street - Closed prior to 1930.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/lv27.html

PRR West 37th Street - assumed 1975.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/prr37.html

DLW - None in Manhattan. "Harlem Station" was actually located in the Bronx.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/ht.html

I hope this helps. See also: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby CarterB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

Great info, Otto...Thanks!!!
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby pumpers » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

Wow. Will have to look at all the links on vacation.
I just looked quickly at the Erie link, and near the top of the page is a map which shows the DL&W had the next pier north of the Erie pier, between 28th and 29th streets, but no details indicating a yard to go with the pier. Any ideas on what the pier was for?
JS
pumpers

Postby rr503 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:08 pm

I think the last train on the West Side line proper was later than '80. The High Line segment and everything else south of 60th st went oos then for the construction of the Javits Center/LIRR west side yard, but I'm almost 100% sure that there were still customers at 60th st/north after then. I know the NY times took newsprint cars there, and if my memory serves me right, they were the last customer, with service only ending after a barge took out the bridge at spuyten duyvil (and conrail couldn't justify it's repair). That was in '83-'84 I think.

To see all these things, take a look at Historic Aerials...
rr503

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

rr503 wrote:I think the last train on the West Side line proper was later than '80. The High Line segment and everything else south of 60th st went oos then for the construction of the Javits Center/LIRR west side yard, but I'm almost 100% sure that there were still customers at 60th st/north after then. I know the NY times took newsprint cars there, and if my memory serves me right, they were the last customer, with service only ending after a barge took out the bridge at spuyten duyvil (and conrail couldn't justify it's repair). That was in '83-'84 I think.

New York Times quotes the last freight movement was in 1980, a carload of frozen turkeys to a meat distributor on the West Side.

Any Conrail local freights that worked the Electric Zone previously on duty at 72nd Street YArd moved to either BN Yard, North White Plains, or Croton Yard after 1972.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 am

Correction to 72nd Street going out of service, according to SooLineRob who quotes a Conrail Freight Schedule:

72nd Street was noted as having 2 assignments, on duty 07:55 (old KD-1/WVNY-1, off Sunday) and 20:00 (old KD-2/WVNY-2, off Friday), reporting for duty in July 1981.

As of September 1981, 2 assignments reported for duty at Oak Point (WVOP-3, on duty 09:30, off Sunday; WVOP-4, 21:00, off Friday) with working limits which included 72nd Street-Tarrytown and return to Oak Point.

So while the yard and property was sold to a developer, it appears that 72nd Street remained open as a reporting point until the system-wide kill-off of redundant tracks in 1981.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 am

Here's some new info:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-york ... en-kinlock

In 1979, the 30th Street Yards were sold to the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority for the construction of the Convention Center and the Long Island RR's West Side Storage Yard. The elevated portion of the line (known as Conrail's West 30th Street Secondary Track) last saw a train in April 1980 when three freight cars of frozen turkeys were delivered. Shortly thereafter, the access ramp to the elevated line was removed to allow construction of the Convention Center. When the ramp was rebuilt, service was not restored. In 1982, Conrail abandoned freight service south of 60th Street. The last train on the northern portion of the line before its recent upgrade for Amtrak was in 1983 when the "New York Times" received a load of newsprint. Upgrading the line meant rebuilding the drawbridge built in 1900 when Spuyten Duyvil Creek and the Harlem River were widened to form the Harlem River Ship Canal. Its steam-operated motor had been replaced with an electric one in 1963. It had remained out of service since 1983 when a hit-and-run collision left it in the open position and would have required extensive rehabilitation. This 610-foot bridge consists of three fixed sections - two on the Manhattan side and one on the Bronx side. They are connected by a 290-foot-long center section that pivots on a central tower and rotates almost 65 degrees to open a 100-foot channel on either side. Depending on tides, there is often only five feet of clearance from the water line to the bridge.

This 1992 article talks about the plans to open the new printing plant in Queens...

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/06/nyreg ... ueens.html

The Times currently employs about 1,000 people in press and delivery operations for the daily newspaper at its corporate headquarters, at 229 West 43d Street in Manhattan...

That address is located between 7th and 8th Avenues, and I couldn't tell you where that 1983 carload of newsprint was spotted for unloading, but it's clearly somewhere north of 34th Street as Conrail had already abandoned the elevated portion.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby pumpers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm

that site Otto referenced is a post from Ken Kinlock. Somewhere there used to be a zillion linked sites by him, mostly about New York Central history, with all kinds of interesting details like in Otto's link, but also some good info on other railroads. I can't remember the web address of any of those sites right now, however. He may have even posted here on railroad.net maybe 15 years ago. (Otto might remember...) Jim S
pumpers

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 pm

pumpers wrote:that site Otto referenced is a post from Ken Kinlock. Somewhere there used to be a zillion linked sites by him, mostly about New York Central history, with all kinds of interesting details like in Otto's link, but also some good info on other railroads. I can't remember the web address of any of those sites right now, however. He may have even posted here on railroad.net maybe 15 years ago. (Otto might remember...) Jim S

Yes, right here: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/

Good reference and resource, though sometimes it requires a little digging.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby pumpers » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am

I found the old link I remembered: "kinglyheirs...":

It now refers you to a newer site - with links to dozens of railroads - Ken K sure has been working hard.

Probably one of these links to the site Otto mentioned or vice versa...
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: redacted web sites
pumpers

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 pm

pumpers wrote:I found the old link I remembered: "kinglyheirs...":

It now refers you to a newer site - with links to dozens of railroads - Ken K sure has been working hard.

Probably one of these links to the site Otto mentioned or vice versa...

"KinglyHeirs" besides being an assault on the visual senses is nothing more than a collection of dubious material stolen from various sources around the Internet, and no, I would never link to it.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:35 pm

I do find it puzzling when Javits Center was built, the freight line was rebuilt and relocated, even if it never operated again. The Hudson Yards-34 Street Station (34th & 11th Avenue) on the 7 Train is directly under the relocated freight line and also under part of the newly built Amtrak line.

Otto Vondrak wrote:Some local jobs for the Hudson, Harlem, and Putnam lines continued to go on duty at 72nd Street Yard until the yard was closed and property sold to a developer..
That developer was Trump.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Return to New York State Railfan