Help identify this NYC station

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Help identify this NYC station

Postby NYCUticaSyracuse81 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Thought that it was the NYC/West Shore Station at Wampsville, NY when I bid on this RPPC, but now I'm not so sure. Certainly looks like it was built by The New York Central.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... ed-public/
Attachments
NYC RR Station Unknown.jpg
NYCUticaSyracuse81

Re: Need Help Identifying This Station

Postby CPSmith » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm

cleaned up a little ... hope this helps
Attachments
NYC RR Station Unknown1.jpg
peddle your shorts
CPSmith

Postby NYCUticaSyracuse81 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Much clearer! Thank you. Well, I thought it could be Mexico, NY, but the windows are too low. Doesn't appear to be Stittville either. It definitely fits the mold of early 20th century NYC branchline stations. But, it may also very well be just as it's labeled, which is the Wampsville NYC station on the West Shore. The book only has a cropped photograph from the opposite side of the above picture showing an electrified third rail, and track of what appears to be a similar looking station at Wampsville. According to Taibi's Oneida Railway Company book, there was a West Shore shelter, which was moved several times, then replaced by a NYC Shelter that was moved for W.S. use, perhaps when they built the above station? The book states that the NYC main abandoned passenger service at Wampsville in 1920. Perhaps this is the final NYC station, and was possibly moved for the Oneida Railway Company after 1920? I can't see any tracks in the photo either.
NYCUticaSyracuse81

Postby lvrr325 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am

Original NYC main and the West Shore were only maybe 30 yards apart through Wampsville, would there really have been a need for separate stations there?
lvrr325

Postby NYCUticaSyracuse81 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 am

Wampsville had at least three stations. I get really confused because they were moved several times. The West Shore/Oneida Railway Co. Had a shelter on the south side of the go buggy line, which was moved several times then replaced by the NYC shelter. There was also a wood station built by the NYC, and used by the Oneida Railway Co. It is on page 50 of Tabai's Oneida Railway book. I don't think the above is the Wampsville station as I noticed some discrepancies between the two. Now Im really interested in identifying this station
NYCUticaSyracuse81

Return to New York State Railfan