Tank car industry in North Albany, NY

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 pm

At the corner of Mill Street and Bridge Street in Albany (on the west side of the old D&H) just north of Huck Finn's Warehouse is an industry that has three tracks for accepting tank cars. Two tracks are behind a chain link fence, and the third is on the outside. The two inside tracks look like they could hold at most 3 cars each without fouling the other track. Between the D&H main line and this industry is a long spur running south that terminates for no apparent reason. It is located almost across the street from the fuel facility that was rebuilt in 2012/2013 (?) at what used to be Bulk Handlers.

Can anyone give me some history on this industry? Thanks.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Tank car industry in North Albany, NY

Postby nydepot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm

nydepot

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you. Please allow me to clarify: what are they receiving in tank cars, or shipping in tank cars? Anybody know how frequently they receive cars? How long have they been located here.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Tank car industry in North Albany, NY

Postby nydepot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 pm

The homepage contains quite a bit of information, including that they have been there since 1914.

Google Street View shows them filled with Sodium Hydroxide outside the facility and sodium hypochlorite inside the facility. The homepage says they make sodium hypochlorite so you can tell the cars inside are being filled for outbound and the outside cars must be some raw ingredients.

I've never been there nor do I know anything about them. I just looked it all up on Google.

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Thank you. Please allow me to clarify: what are they receiving in tank cars, or shipping in tank cars? Anybody know how frequently they receive cars? How long have they been located here.
nydepot

Return to New York State Railfan