New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 am

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... ing-clear/

What the court is making clear

The news out of Justice Robert Main’s court has not been good for the anti-rail special interests currently huddling behind closed doors with the Department of Environmental Conservation and Department of Transportation. The state has been forced to admit it was wrong about its title to the corridor. It’ll have to buy several parcels or make other arrangements before it can start ripping out the tracks.

The justice has not been impressed by the lack of plans to meet historic preservation laws either. The state’s argument that they can’t complete them without starting the project first is an admission they still don’t really know what they’re getting into and do not really care.
The state’s economic case for Alternative 7 ignores the Rail Explorers, ignores continued ridership growth on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad and ignores what full passenger service to Lake Placid would mean for the whole corridor. It ignores the value of a direct connection to a major Amtrak route at Utica — and that Amtrak’s ridership continues to grow as well.
The core flaw of Alternative 7 is this. The 1996 plan recognized that much of the economic and historic value of the corridor is because it IS intact, and is best managed as one unit. Cutting off access to the premier destination at the end of the line diminishes the value of the entire corridor, perhaps fatally. It makes no more sense than it would to allow Bolton Landing to secede from the rest of Lake George, or ending the Northway at Plattsburgh.

It’s getting harder to ignore the suspicion Alternative 7 was written to justify removing the tracks at the behest of well-connected local anti-rail activists, instead of as an honest review of the 1996 plan.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby tree68 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/opinion/guest-commentary/2017/03/what-the-court-is-making-clear/

What the court is making clear

...It’s getting harder to ignore the suspicion Alternative 7 was written to justify removing the tracks at the behest of well-connected local anti-rail activists, instead of as an honest review of the 1996 plan.

Yep...

Problem is, they've got money, and even if the judge tells them to pound salt, they won't give up. And they don't just want Tupper-Placid gone, they want it out all the way back to Thendara (and some want even more than that).

Until the state stands up and tells them the railroad is staying, period, this foolishness will continue.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Postby sd80mac » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

I'm not clear.... is this good or bad news for ASR?
sd80mac

Postby tree68 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am

sd80mac wrote:I'm not clear.... is this good or bad news for ASR?

One might take it as good news - that the judge is seeing through the sham that is ARTA.

But, until he renders a decision, we just don't know.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Postby greenwichlirr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:13 am

This is absolutely 100% dead on. One simply needs to read the comments section of the ADE or anyplace else that the railroad story has been showing up lately to see that people are starting to see ARTA for what it is: a veiled sham which got as far as it did because of 'fried' of people in high places.
greenwichlirr

Postby ut-1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Adirondack Scenic ran "Easter Bunny Express" specials between Holland Patent-Remsen (18 miles round-trip) yesterday & today.

Here is a link to a short video showing the train passing by the Remsen waterfalls today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZww2sVn8xk

Also, a few pics:

1. Southbound, Remsen.

2. Another view, Remsen.

3. Northbound, Remsen.
Attachments
IMG_0611 (3)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_0617 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_0622 (2)_Resized_900_by_675 (1).jpg
ut-1

Postby thebigham » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Pro-rail column:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... -railroad/

Bad spin on the railroad
by WALTER ORDWAY
JUN 6, 2017

I’ll try to keep this brief, because even I — as a staunch supporter for the “Save The Rails” movement — am growing weary of the back-and-forth conversation. There are so many times that the Adirondack Recreational Trail Advocates crowd (both board members and supporters alike) have been throwing out unproven facts, claims and numbers that the whole debate has gotten way beyond tedious. Dick Beamish’s letter from May 30 is yet another example of putting a trail-slanted spin that is not proven when questioned...
thebigham

Postby SteelRail » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 pm

ADIX posted something cryptic on their Facebook page this afternoon. It read: "When's the last time you spotted a steam engine running on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad's line?
Stay tuned, we've got something big in the works...."
Binghamton, NY area rail scanner feed: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/19369
SteelRail

Postby greenwichlirr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm

thebigham wrote:Pro-rail column:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... -railroad/

Bad spin on the railroad
by WALTER ORDWAY
JUN 6, 2017

I’ll try to keep this brief, because even I — as a staunch supporter for the “Save The Rails” movement — am growing weary of the back-and-forth conversation. There are so many times that the Adirondack Recreational Trail Advocates crowd (both board members and supporters alike) have been throwing out unproven facts, claims and numbers that the whole debate has gotten way beyond tedious. Dick Beamish’s letter from May 30 is yet another example of putting a trail-slanted spin that is not proven when questioned...

I like that guy's writing style! :wink: :wink: :wink:
greenwichlirr

Postby eehiv » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am

https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/lab/6196221759.html

Laborers/Operators - Clearing and Chipping (Tupper Lake, NY)

compensation: $24.77 Ground person, $31.75 Operator, $34.65 Tree Trimmer (hourly)
employment type: contract

Clearing and Chipping Laborers/Operators
We have a contract with NYS DOT to remove vegetation from the railroad right of way between Tupper Lake and Big Moose Station. Looking for people with clearing and/or hi-rail experience.
We have the following positions available:
• Tree Trimmer- $34.65 per hour
• Operator- $31.75 per hour
• Ground person- $24.77 per hour.
Work includes trimming trees, operating grapples mounted on excavators, hand feeding chippers, Wood Cracker operator and general labor.

Allen Chase Enterprises, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. Allen Chase Enterprises, Inc. is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women and protected veterans to join our team.
eehiv

Postby eehiv » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 am

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_LETTING_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=13160

D263426, PIN S937.65, Franklin, Hamilton, Herkimer & St. Lawrence Cos., Adirondack Railroad Rehabilitation; Remson-Lake Placid Corridor Track Rehab - Big Moose to Tupper Lake., Bid Deposit $1,500,000.00. Goals: MBE/WBE 12 - 18%
eehiv

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Waiting to see the post advertising bids on scrapping the railroad north of Tupper Lake.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby lvrr325 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 pm

$25 an hour for a basic labor job? Wow.
lvrr325

Postby ut-1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:22 pm

I hiked in a bit this morning to catch the first Utica-Big Moose train of the season pass through the rock cut located approx 1 mile south of the Big Moose station.

This two-minute video features both northbound and southbound views:

https://youtu.be/dTv8VmMB9Cg
ut-1

Postby ut-1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Here's a video showing Adirondack Scenic No. 1835 bringing its train into Big Moose today:

https://youtu.be/wjeNroibzJI
ut-1

PreviousNext

Return to New York State Railfan