GG-1's in Cooperstown to Henry Ford Museum

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

GG-1's in Cooperstown to Henry Ford Museum

Postby rdgrailfan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:17 am

Trying to find out the status on the two GG-1's that are / were located in Cooperstown, NY. I did a search and found nothing, were they scrapped?
Sorry if asked before but I did make an attempt to search forum and web, nothing recent turned up.
rdgrailfan

Re: GG-!'s in cooperstown

Postby dj_paige » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 am

They are stored on a siding just north of Cooperstown junction, and essentially not visible from the road.

Photos of the move here (you have to request membership in the Delaware and Hudson Railroad group to view these photos):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DandHRa ... 745580057/
Paige
"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance" -- LeAnn Rimes
My Flickr Photos
dj_paige

Postby Engineer Spike » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 pm

I have a few friends who are members. They said the move had something to do with the track they were on was leased from D&H. Apparently the lease didn't continue after the line was sold to NS.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Re: GG-!'s in cooperstown - Thank You

Postby rdgrailfan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you very much for the quick responses, rumors down here are that they were both scrapped on site!
Again Thanks
rdgrailfan

Postby lvrr325 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 am

Doesn't the Ford Museum technically own one?
lvrr325

Postby dj_paige » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:48 am

Yes, according to Wikipedia, the Ford Museum owns one of these, but there is no way to transport the loco, as I understand neither NS nor CSX will allow it on it's rails.
Paige
My Flickr Photos
dj_paige

Postby SST » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:36 pm

What are the reasons why CSX/NS won't allow it on their tracks? Are they in such bad shape they are afraid they'll crumble?
SST

Postby SemperFidelis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Norfolk Southern allowed 2 GG1s to be moved over thier rails to the URHS's location along the old Boonton Line in Boonton, NJ. One of the two was in very rough shape having sat, untouched, at Whippany Railway Museum since the 1980s.
SemperFidelis

Postby Noel Weaver » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:55 pm

SST wrote:What are the reasons why CSX/NS won't allow it on their tracks? Are they in such bad shape they are afraid they'll crumble?

I don't think any railroad management in their right minds would allow such relics as these to move on their own wheels for any distance and there is not much within a reasonable distance from Cooperstown Junction. There could likely be structural problems which would not allow their movement even in a special movement. It would be a shop job just to get the air brakes working again. The only possible way they could be moved by rail would be to load them (if it is possible) on a very heavy duty flat car and even then there could be dimension issues for shipment west. I doubt if the wheels are in any kind of shape for a move either. No matter what you are looking at huge dollars to move either one of them out of their present hiding place.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby cjvrr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:02 pm

When the deal was first made to me the GG1 the connected track was owned and operated by CP Rail. I seem to remember at that time CSX was saying 'no' as part of the route to the Ford Museum involved them so they sat.

Probably be cheaper to separate the pieces and ship it on multiple cars at this point.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 am

They're old, but they're roller bearings, although certain older types CSX won't handle either. I certainly think it would be physically up to the move, if with a speed restriction, and without operational brakes.

I mean they moved the CNY Chapter's G just fine when they added the second track at the fairgrounds and it basically had not been touched other than repaints since it went in there in 1982.
lvrr325

Postby dj_paige » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:53 am

I think if the move would require speed restrictions over hundreds of miles of heavily used segments of track, that's another reason for NS/CSX to not allow the move.
Paige
My Flickr Photos
dj_paige

Postby lvrr325 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:55 am

Railroads do shipments like that all the time, high and wide trains handle them.

I'm actually not sure why CSX would have to touch this, at this point it could be an all-NS move from Cooperstown Jct. to Dearborn. NS and Amtrak share the line that actually runs past the museum.

In fact it could even be routed across say the WNY&P to keep it off the busier ex-NKP route and out of the way for at least part of the trip.
lvrr325

Postby JoeBas » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:43 am

Visible on Bing Maps Street Imagery as attached:

GG1.PNG
JoeBas

Postby dj_paige » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 am

That's great. I thought they were not visible from the road anymore, but obviously I was wrong. Just not visible from the same road that they were visible from before the move.
Paige
My Flickr Photos
dj_paige

Next

Return to New York State Railfan