Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2015

Postby B&M 1227 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Can you confirm which scenario you are implying?
A) that the transportation service is not profitable because only one interested party has purchased the product and shipped it.
B) that the product is not profitable because only one interested party has purchased and shipped it.

Allow me to float option C...
C) An interested party purchased the tailings and shipped them. Prior business opportunities revolved around CP cooperation which was not available, but with the imminent sale of the southern end of the D&H to NS, there will be an additional, amenable interchange partner. One of those prior opportunities is still on the horizon, that being La Guardia (or is it JFK) soon to be in need of a new runway, which will require

1) lots of runway material
2) a cheap way to get it to New York.

which in turn requires the state to give

1) Money

to

1) the railroad
2) the owner of the tailings pile.

which will likely result in

1) economically sustainable profits.
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby newpylong » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 am

Tony Goodwin wrote:This gravel is being shipped over a greater distance than a similar load of gravel would ever be economically be shipped. It is coming from one IPH railroad to provide material for maintenance/improvement of another stretch of publicly-owned (MassDOT) track that is operated by another IPH railroad.

I don't know what other "proof" is required to show that this is not a sustainable market for tailings from Tahawus.

Unsubstantiated.

If party B writes a check that results in party A being able to cover operational costs, the market is sustainable.
newpylong

Postby griffs20soccer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 am

Tony has no proof for any of what he is saying. He wants the rails from North Creek to the mine ripped up for his little trail group, Like Matt and others have said the guy has no proof of any thing he says and just wants right of way for his little group, ARTA. I was willing to give him the benefit of doubt, but he is showing his true colors.

Tony no matter what you say the purchaser of the stone is MassDOT, the transaction is profitable for SNC. Who knows how much, may be a little, may be a lot. Tony keeps forgetting the stone was already mined, so the cost of removing it from the ground has already occurred, making the material itself cheap.

Let Tony in his little fantasy world keep believing it's going to fail. I'm finished trying to discuss issues with the man. He can't face the facts when they are presented to him because they contradict what he wants to see happen so he can get his little trail. He would rather have a trail than jobs for the North Country. Go figure.
griffs20soccer

Postby newpylong » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 am

Yep, I just googled his name and ARTA. Annoyed I wasted the time to type a response.

Take it from someone who supports both open space recreation and the economic viability of railroads, you're barking up the wrong tree on this site Tony. Your agenda is not welcome.
newpylong

Postby traingeek8223 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:16 pm

I was willing to give him the benefit of doubt, but he is showing his true colors.

Don't worry about it Don. Many of us have made that mistake. Simple fact is that he can't help it. He wants the tracks torn up to Lake Placid so badly that he is willing to attack the validity of other railroad operations to help make his point. When the facts don't play out to his favor, he simply rejects them and inserts his own. It's standard operating procedure for ARTA. Just like when they claim that they are a pro-trail group when in actuality they are an anti-rail group. I still maintain he is only here to try to get under our skin.
Matt Giardino
ALCO Historical & Technical Society

"To journey on the rails once more, really would be fine...
Just one more chance to ride again, on the Grand Adirondack Line."
traingeek8223

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Gentlemen, I kindly request that we move on to more productive aspects of this conversation.

----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby griffs20soccer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Otto, do you have a picture of the second BL2 being painted or a link to it? I would like to see it. I heard they are modifying both BL2s so they won't have to idle in cold weather.
griffs20soccer

Postby griffs20soccer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am

Good news for all you SNC and Iowa Pacific Holding fans. Progressive Railroading is reporting that IPH railroads had record revenue and car loadings in 2014. Carloads climbed 20% and passenger counts were up 46%. Attached is the article.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/s ... 014--43339
griffs20soccer

Postby D.Carleton » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:Gentlemen, I kindly request that we move on to more productive aspects of this conversation.
Aww, come on. You're taking the fun out of my day.
D.Carleton

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:47 pm

More good news, SNC apparently ran another revenue freight train yesterday. I've seen a couple pics of it on FB, with the B40-8 serving as power.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Not my photo, but this is a shot from yesterday:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 663&nseq=1
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby B&M 1227 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:49 am

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 09&nseq=10

The caption for this photo suggests they were hauling 15 loads of coal northbound? If this is true and not tailings or empties being mistaken for coal loads, where is it going?
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby bwparker1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:29 pm

I think the caption was modified to remove any reference to coal.
bwparker1

Postby MEC407 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm

At the time of my typing this, the caption states:

"A cold day on the SNC southend as the day starts off with a alot of switching in Saratoga as the SNC 8524 gets permission from the CP dispatch to be lined to the Adirondack Branch seen here with GE ingestion moving northbound through mile 37 with 15 cars of coal"
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby bk77 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17 pm

So if these weren't coal loads as the caption says, has anyone found out what these loads were? And if it was coal, where's it heading to?? (the snow cover rising above the tops of the hoppers at least rules out these cars being empties)

---Bill K.
bk77

PreviousNext

Return to New York State Railfan