Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 am

lvrr325 wrote:County bought the line for the purpose of maintaining the rail. as long as there's a customer it should do that.


I understand what you are saying, and certainly nothing is happening immediately.

But while the county DID acquire the line with the goal of maintaining rail service, they are not the ones footing the bill. FGLK is. When ONCT started there were probably about 300 carloads annually in Victor alone. These days there's about 40, maybe less. I can guarantee you two things are going on. 1) they are operating that line segment at a loss, and 2) Maintenance of track is below what would be needed over the long haul.

So if it was decided to transload at Manchester, and truck to Victor, that's certainly doable - see the posts above about a similar thing being done at Canandaigua. I certainly would hate to see the end of that line - I'd probably miss it more than most. But we have to say the "R" word - REALITY. In the grand scheme of social, political and economic considerations, the public at large would benefit far more from better highway flow than from keeping the rails in place. :(
BR&P
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm

sd80mac wrote:Don't speak too early about Victor cant stop you.... A town in NJ where GW bridge is. they started to ban any cars that drive through town to get to GW, bypass traffic back up on expressway. they had issued a lot of tickets to these who ignored the ban... Now I guess Victor heard your comment and might do the same thing what that town did... :P :P :P


BR&P wrote:Ken, I *think* the thing about the town prohibiting through traffic was applicable to TOWN streets. Since Rt 96 is a state highway, I'm guessing they would not be able to do something similar here.


Ditto for Route 444, which is the route I use. If either the town or the village attempted to prevent out-of-town drivers from using Route 96 to access Route 444, I can see businesses and residents in Holcomb crying foul very quickly. Some businesses on Route 96 (e.g. gas stations) could also have a righteous complaint if out-of-towners are ticketed for using a major traffic artery. It is possible the latter will also oppose any change in the traffic pattern that diverts potential customers away from their doors. The state could jump in very quickly if a local municipality is actively keeping motorists off a state-funded highway.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. IMO, the odds of survival are a coin toss for ONCT in Victor. Should we call heads or tails?
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
User avatar
Matt Langworthy
 
Posts: 3327
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby sd80mac » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

BR&P wrote:Ken, I *think* the thing about the town prohibiting through traffic was applicable to TOWN streets. Since Rt 96 is a state highway, I'm guessing they would not be able to do something similar here.


I was joking... It wont happens anyway.. probably need 2 hours of getting through victor in traffic jam to get victor considering the ban on side streets to bypass 96... I really cant see how people can chose 96 between Farmington and Twy exit 45 over thruway anyway... except for cheapstake truck drivers who don't want to pay for twy tolls. Yes, there are plenty of them, especially mail trucks. They took state routes to Syracuse and Buffalo because USPS wont reimburse the drivers for twy tolls.
sd80mac
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 am
Location: Rochester, ny

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby lvrr325 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 am

BR&P wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:County bought the line for the purpose of maintaining the rail. as long as there's a customer it should do that.


I understand what you are saying, and certainly nothing is happening immediately.

But while the county DID acquire the line with the goal of maintaining rail service, they are not the ones footing the bill. FGLK is. :(


"footing the bill" ... no property taxes, minimal upkeep costs, Finger Lakes is just the operator.
lvrr325
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 am

lvrr325 wrote: "footing the bill" ... no property taxes, minimal upkeep costs, Finger Lakes is just the operator.


Even just sitting there, the line is an expense to FGLK. Those miles are factored into their insurance costs. Each of the grade crossings gets an RG&E bill every month. A track inspector must hirail the line weekly. A signal maintainer must inspect the signals monthly. Signal forces must repair crossings damaged by lightning after almost every thunderstorm. Weed spray needs to be put down each spring,and brush spray should be applied later in the year. Various other items as well. And stuff like renewal and surfacing is ongoing, if not every year then certainly at reasonable intervals.

Many railfans only see a diesel going by and that's the exciting part. It's not sexy or cool but there is a LOT of behind-the-scenes work and expense which has to be taken into consideration as well.
BR&P
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby ALCO Flower » Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 am

Hello,

I filmed FGLK on the 2nd, of May, and in the local GC-2 power was GP38-2 #2002, B23-7 #2310, and B23-7 #2304. I found it a bit odd that 2304 was on the GC-2. As far as I knew it had been in Fulton for some time. Does anyone know about the unit being brought back from Fulton?
ALCO Flower
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby lvrr325 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

BR&P wrote:
lvrr325 wrote: "footing the bill" ... no property taxes, minimal upkeep costs, Finger Lakes is just the operator.


Even just sitting there, the line is an expense to FGLK. Those miles are factored into their insurance costs. Each of the grade crossings gets an RG&E bill every month. A track inspector must hirail the line weekly. A signal maintainer must inspect the signals monthly. Signal forces must repair crossings damaged by lightning after almost every thunderstorm. Weed spray needs to be put down each spring,and brush spray should be applied later in the year. Various other items as well. And stuff like renewal and surfacing is ongoing, if not every year then certainly at reasonable intervals.

Many railfans only see a diesel going by and that's the exciting part. It's not sexy or cool but there is a LOT of behind-the-scenes work and expense which has to be taken into consideration as well.


Your estimate of costs and frequency of damages is exaggerated. I'm also certain that not all of those costs are Finger Lakes' responsibility. It can just sit there for a long time with no maintenance, for the amount of traffic it sees it will make no real difference. Case in point the Auburn line between Auburn and Camillus; Finger Lakes didn't have a great deal of trouble re-opening the line.
lvrr325
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm

lvrr325 wrote:
Your estimate of costs and frequency of damages is exaggerated. I'm also certain that not all of those costs are Finger Lakes' responsibility. It can just sit there for a long time with no maintenance, for the amount of traffic it sees it will make no real difference. Case in point the Auburn line between Auburn and Camillus; Finger Lakes didn't have a great deal of trouble re-opening the line.


What is exaggerated?

And whose responsibility, if not FGLK's, would maintenance be? If FGLK is the operator of the County's line, obviously there would be some sort of language in their contract mandating a reasonable degree of maintenance.
BR&P
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby Mass Coastal 2010 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:35 pm

I will make an inquiry tomorrow and may be able to have it looked at.

EDIT - email sent. Depending on where the car is stored, and what his schedule is, it might be a while before he can look. Either he'll post directly or will relay through me.

SECOND EDIT - Got a reply. As might be expected at this time of year, the cars are stored way out in South Jockstrap. He will try to remember to look, either if he has reason to go out there, or in spring when they are brought back to civilization.



Just remembered I had inquired about ballast hopper 188's heritage, was he or anybody else able to check the car number?

Mike
User avatar
Mass Coastal 2010
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: Fall River Secondary

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

I guess that one fell through the cracks!

Follow-up email of inquiry sent, will advise.

EDIT - like the rest of us, he forgot all about this. Cars are closer at hand and more accessible now, and he'll take a look when time permits.
BR&P
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby BR&P » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Re ballast car FGLK 188, I am told that one did get a repaint so the as-acquired marks are gone. But it is riding on PRR trucks, while most of their others were on NYC trucks. He says sorry, no proof one way or another, but that's the best he can see at the moment.
BR&P
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby Mass Coastal 2010 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if there are any other pictures out there of the car pre-repaint? If any clear, good quality pictures exist they could probably answer my question.

Thanks!
Mike
User avatar
Mass Coastal 2010
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: Fall River Secondary

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Did they do any prep on it before paint? I remember some of those cars in storage in the old Belle Isle yard and while painted PC or CR you could see "Pennsylvania" through the paint on some. If they just painted it with no sandblasting or removal of old paint, looking at it at the right angles you may still be able to make it out.
lvrr325
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:44 am

Any damage from the heavy rains down towards Watkins Glen on Tuesday?
lvrr325
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby poppyl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 pm

lvrr325 wrote:Any damage from the heavy rains down towards Watkins Glen on Tuesday?

Franklin Street in the village had some flash flooding which temporarily may have affected the FGLK track. Also the area around Cargill flooded in the morning. Both areas appeared to be "back to normal" this afternoon. Have not heard anything about US Salt or whether there may have been washouts south of Glenora. FWIW, did not hear HW in either direction today.

Poppyl
poppyl
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to New York State Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ericofmaine and 7 guests