Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

Postby Matt Langworthy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 pm

An FRA inspection train visited FGLK today, then departed via NS shortly after 1 PM.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby D Alex » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 am

FWIW, there is a public meeting in Victor this week to discuss traffic plans. I would assume one of the things to be proposed is claiming the old LVRR right of way for a street, to relieve congestion on 96. I would assume this would result in abandonment of all the track from the edge of fishers to at least rt.332, maybe all the way to Manchester. I don't believe there is any customer on this stretch other than the insulator plant in Victor.
D Alex

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

D Alex wrote:I don't believe there is any customer on this stretch other than the insulator plant in Victor.

Did Victor Insulator stop getting cars?

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby CPSmith » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:05 pm

D Alex wrote:FWIW, there is a public meeting in Victor this week to discuss traffic plans. I would assume one of the things to be proposed is claiming the old LVRR right of way for a street, to relieve congestion on 96. I would assume this would result in abandonment of all the track from the edge of fishers to at least rt.332, maybe all the way to Manchester. I don't believe there is any customer on this stretch other than the insulator plant in Victor.

This is BS. There's no process to "claim [sic] the old LVRR right of way for a street, to relieve congestion on 96".

It is an active piece of railroad and neither the county (property owner) nor the railroad (operator) have any interest in ending service.
peddle your shorts
CPSmith

Postby lvrr325 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:
D Alex wrote:I don't believe there is any customer on this stretch other than the insulator plant in Victor.

Did Victor Insulator stop getting cars?

-otto-

They get a greatly reduced number of cars from years past after being forced to use trucks during the traffic meltdown of the CR split and finding it easier to unload them. This was discussed either previously in this thread or in another thread in this board.

Adams St. in the village is already on the ROW. The road could probably be extended east to meet Brace Rd. and extended west to Route 251. With the low level of rail traffic the road and a single track could probably share the corridor east of NY-444. Google shows a siding still goes into NVR (former Ryan Homes, I presume), guessing they're not active. West of School St. has only been used for car storage for a long time, the customer at the end of the line is not active. Their building constructed out onto the ROW precludes a bypass from continuing west to a more natural split.

However, it will be expensive to add another bridge and reconfigure the roads at the east end. Just adding a road from School St. to 251 would appear to not be expensive or affect rail operation in any way except perhaps the loss of that portion of track. How much traffic it could alleviate is another story.
lvrr325

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan