Jersey Field Lumber Company's railroad service

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Jersey Field Lumber Railroad

Postby ginosrailpage » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Here is a map I enhanced with numbers for people to describe locations on the Jerseyfield Lumber Company right-of-way. If anyone has questions on locations, or has some knowledge of locations, they can refer to the numbers on the map for explanation...

Gino
Attachments
JF_Map_Numbered.jpeg
Marker Map for Jerseyfield Railroad Right-of-way
JF_Map_Numbered.jpeg (320.26 KiB) Viewed 795 times
ginosrailpage

Re: Jersey Field Lumber Company's railroad service

Postby Gr8Johnson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

I was just researching other topics and stumbled onto this forum, great info. I've been hunting this area for over 30 years mainly the back side of the boyer lake area. I also have a hunting camp just south of Klondike. My father has been hunting this area for about 60 years and still lives in the area. I know my great grandfather owned a bunch of land in this area and worked for one of the lumber companies, he could even be the Johnson logging outfit someone mentioned.
Some information I didn't see mentioned, there is an old railroad bed and even some existing rails located along the section of black creek that runs northward just north of Jerseyfield Mountain. There are also a couple locations that have some "remnants" of the camps that were established - peavy that has grown into a tree, some old crosscut saws, old cookstove, etc... My dad tells the story of one location that we refer to as "Preachers Rock" as it was where everyone gathered on a Sunday morning, and the preacher would stand on the rock and address everyone.

-tj
Gr8Johnson

Re: Jersey Field Lumber Company's railroad service

Postby Gr8Johnson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 am

I'm a late to the conversation, but I was researching other topics and stumbled onto this forum. I'm extremely familiar with this are, have been hunting this area for over 30 years, my dad for over 50. We have a hunting camp just below Klondike. I was surprised that there is no mention of a track that runs along the section of black creek that flows south out of black creek lake towards jerseyfield mountain. There are old railroad beds, rails, and even a couple of locations where the old camps were established with some remnants of an old bed frames, cookstoves, and some old loggers hardware such as peavys and crosscut saws. My dad has told me stories about my great grandfather working (logging) in the area and owning a large amount of the land at one time. He may even be the "johnson" someone mentioned in a previous post. We have a couple landmarks we refer to in the area relating to the lumber/loggers. The first is called peavy watch as it has a peavy and crosscut saw that has grown into a beech tree. The better one is referred to has Preachers Rock. The story my dad tells is that on sundays, everyone would gather around this rock, and the preacher would stand on top of it and address everyone. This fall if I get to the back side of boyer lake along black creek I will get the location and see if I can't find some markings on the rail to identify it.

thanks
Tim
Gr8Johnson

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan