Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re: Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

Postby tree68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 pm

There was recently a "Looking Back" item in the WDT that mentioned something like 40,000 cars being handled on the St Lawrence Division, probably ca 1942. I didn't keep that paper. I presume that means cars handled as either origin or destination.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Postby ccutler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 pm

I think a deal WOULD increase EHH's margins. The line probably has a high operating ratio [OR] because it is a relatively low density line. EHH can get cash upfront for the value of the line and then lower CSX's overall OR but jettisoning lines like the Montreal line. It sounds dumb to folks like us who know better, but unfortunately many institutional investors just don't get it, just EHH is now Chair of CSX.
ccutler

Postby lvrr325 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:34 pm

That old NYS&W deal was hinged on CN wanting to be able to add the NYC market to their system; it was thought that trains could come south to Syracuse, then use the NYS&W to Binghamton and then Little Ferry. For that to happen now, though, CN would probably also have to buy out CSX's share of the NYS&W. On the other hand, with CP out of Binghamton there's no one to object there, unless it were to cut into any existing NS traffic. Plus with NS control, there is a way for trains to go east without the runaround move needed in the past.

It's probably a good option for this piece of railroad if CSX is going to let that clown ruin the place. But would CSX allow it? They could spin it off from Woodard north and by continuing to control the lower end prevent that, or at least without them getting a piece of it. That would let them keep the Fulton Sub, too.

I know that the last time the rumor mill had it being spun off, the folks behind the Lehigh Railway were rumored to be looking at it. So there's other potential players out there.

But I agree, it's not going to be very busy without some bridge traffic - although with all the work that's been put into it, a shortline could defer maintenance for a long time before it became an issue.
lvrr325

Postby SecaucusJunction » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

The NYSW is not allowed to haul bridge traffic for any other railroad, per their lease of the Tier rules. Their existing/old CSX haulage traffic was grandfathered in. Anything hauled would only be NYSW traffic
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby Matt Langworthy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 am

NYSW does haul traffic for FGLK to NJ. Is that considered bridge traffic?
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby lvrr325 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm

No.
lvrr325

Previous

Return to New York State Railfan