Belle Mead General Depot? Hillsborough

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: Belle Mead General Depot? Hillsborough

Postby Jeremy Zella » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 am

Would be a great place to reinstall tracks and use as a storage yard.
Jeremy Zella

Postby tdipaul » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm

In the past 2 weeks there has been brush cleared off of the ROW that served the depot from the north. No idea why this is occurring (maybe for a gas line?)

The following pics were taken at E. Mountain Road.

Looking South, towards the depot:

(wonder when a train last rolled on these rails?)

Looking North, towards the wye at the (now) NS main line:

tdipaul

Postby pumpers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 am

Anything going on at Amwell Rd?

Also, Part of Belle Mead Depot is now a county park. You can see the ballfields under construction on google maps. Maybe they are making some trail related to it?
http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/20 ... 9-acr.html
JS
pumpers

Postby tdipaul » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes, they are clearing the entire ROW from the wye all the way to Amwell. The rest of the ROW south was cleared of brush and rail ~2005

Looking north:

south:

At Amwell

looking north (tracks are still intact, just out of view and to the left)

south towards the depot entrance

Last edited by tdipaul on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdipaul

Postby tdipaul » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:07 pm

pumpers wrote:Anything going on at Amwell Rd?

Also, Part of Belle Mead Depot is now a county park. You can see the ballfields under construction on google maps. Maybe they are making some trail related to it?
http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/20 ... 9-acr.html
JS

I cant see a trail happening as it would have to cross two fairly busy roads

Would love to see a rail spur off of the NS line but doubtful for the same the reason.

My guess is its a gas related underground line as there is one within 200ft of this ROW by the Amwell crossing :(

But maybe a spur to load gas into cars :)
tdipaul

Postby tomk62 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I travel through here every week and noticed the clearing on the ROW as well. So we don't know why it's being cleared?
tomk62

Postby The Blue Comet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:15 pm

During WWII Belle Mead depot also served as a POW camp with German soldiers. My father in Law worked there during and after the war. I grew up in Bellemead and lived on E Mountain Ave and remember the rail spur crossing 206 and also a second track crossing Amwell Road. Interesting thread.
Bob
The Blue Comet

Postby pumpers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine it is for a gas line - there is a very major legal process to go through when putting in and/or expanding pipelines, even if you already have the ROW - and to move to a new ROW is even more complicated, with lots of public reviews, etc. So I think if it were a pipeline, you would have heard about it.
The south end of the same pipeline , down in Montgomery Township and Princeton, had a 2nd pipe added over the past 2 years (just wrapping up now), in the existing ROW, and the reviews and legal battles were pretty extensive. I think the project went from around Route 601 in Montgomery (not far south of Carrier Clinic), down into the west side of Princeton. This article I just found said the Hilslborough (north) end of the project was done in 2009 - perhaps in the existing pipeline ROW you noted. http://www.twp.montgomery.nj.us/tree-cu ... -to-begin/

THis topographical map (although probably not up to date) shows dotted lines for the pipeline and others. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.49416,-74.68902&z=14&t=T
JS
Post again please if you hear any more what the RR Row clearing is for...
pumpers

Postby Ken W2KB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm

pumpers wrote:I could be wrong, but I can't imagine it is for a gas line - there is a very major legal process to go through when putting in and/or expanding pipelines, even if you already have the ROW - and to move to a new ROW is even more complicated, with lots of public reviews, etc. So I think if it were a pipeline, you would have heard about it.
The south end of the same pipeline , down in Montgomery Township and Princeton, had a 2nd pipe added over the past 2 years (just wrapping up now), in the existing ROW, and the reviews and legal battles were pretty extensive. I think the project went from around Route 601 in Montgomery (not far south of Carrier Clinic), down into the west side of Princeton. This article I just found said the Hilslborough (north) end of the project was done in 2009 - perhaps in the existing pipeline ROW you noted. http://www.twp.montgomery.nj.us/tree-cu ... -to-begin/

THis topographical map (although probably not up to date) shows dotted lines for the pipeline and others. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.49416,-74.68902&z=14&t=T
JS
Post again please if you hear any more what the RR Row clearing is for...

The process is extensive for interstate natural gas pipelines such as the Transco project you referenced. Interstate pipelines such as Transco are regulated by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. So-called "Hinshaw" pipelines which are intrastate are not under FERC jurisdiction. They are under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities and generally the process is relatively straightforward, even to the extent that prior approval may not be required, and especially so if the NJBPU is not requested to issue an eminent domain order.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Postby Conrail Blue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:49 am

Is the water tower there still standing? I haven't been down there in a long time.
Conrail Blue

Postby dlagrua » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 pm

The Belle Mead depot once had many buildings on the property used for a variety of support functions, including the reception and storage of military goods in bulk for redistribution to military bases and government entities. It was huge like 1200 acres. Some of the goods stocked there were oil/chemicals in drums, Jeeps, pipes, cable, and hardware. As for the railroad service; from what I recall there were four very long warehouses on the property with many doors, each having a track on each side. There were also a number of offices, a command center, family residences and army barracks. It was like an army base but mainly staffed by civilians and even Princeton University students on weekends. Railroad freight service could come into the depot from each end and two separate railroad lines serviced it. it must have been bristling with activity in the 40's and 50's. It was very active during WW2 and during the Korean War. In later years it was still used as a distribution center for the government, and some functions like truck repair were still maintained there.
Government cuts forced its closure in the 1980's. Today all the buildings have been raised, the tracks pulled up and a park conversion has been in process for quite a while. Its all just an empty lot now with little trace of what it once was.
dlagrua

Postby The Blue Comet » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Was driving along Amwell Road and witnessed removal of old track bed (rails and ties) rail spur from BelleMead Depot towards Neshanick and Three Bridges. Machine operator told me he was contracted to clean up hazmat sight. No new track or hiking trail. Just shovel ready work to return land back to nature.
The Blue Comet

Previous

Return to New Jersey Railfan