Belle Mead General Depot? Hillsborough

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Belle Mead General Depot? Hillsborough

Postby many19 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Gentlemen,
This was probably discuss somewhere but I can't seem to find any threads so here we go.
The Belle Mead General Depot is considered a polluted site with Mercury so my question is what kind of manufacturing was done here. There are so many tracks and sidings that it looks more like a large size major freight yard. What is the history behind it? The right of way still there and and it has not been removed. So how long has it been closed and who used to served them.
Also are there any plans for this area.
Thank you very much for your info gentlemen.
many19
many19

Re: Belle Mead General Depot? Hillsborough

Postby transit383 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

But where were they going without ever knowing the way?
transit383

Postby dlagrua » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am

The Belle Mead depot was a major storage facility for the General Services Administration (or GSA_). It closed in the mid 1980's. The depot was served by a spur coming off the old Reading line ( still in operation by the Norfork Southern) where it crossed Rt 206 and also by a spur coming off the old and now abandoned Central RR Jersey Flemington Branch near Flagtown. In its heyday the Belle Mead depot was a large and very active rail yard facility that had many warehouses located on numerous rail sidings. After a massive cleanup by the federal government it is presently being converted into parkland for the township. Strangely the spur coming of the Norfolk Southern mainline is still in place.
dlagrua

Postby pumpers » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:58 pm

The old Reading line is now CSX, not NS. I believe the spur coming in from the north was from the LV mainline (now NS), not the CNJ Flemington branch (which ran on the north side of the LV more or less parallel to it there).

Jim
pumpers

Postby dlagrua » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 pm

The old Reading line is now CSX, not NS. I believe the spur coming in from the north was from the LV mainline (now NS), not the CNJ Flemington branch (which ran on the north side of the LV more or less parallel to it there).
Jim

Jim yes you are correct the old LV Line is now CSX. Now for the spur coming into the depot from the North I assumed that it was the old CRNJ Flemington Branch as this line appeared closer to it than the NS tracks. The ROW crosses Amwell Rd, then So Branch Rd and I don't know where it headed from there but the two lines were close. You're probably right about where that spur connected to the main line.
dlagrua

Postby pierrerabbit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Google Maps still shows the track and the connection. Go to Maps and type in Flagtown NJ. Long ago there was a long passing siding next to the Lehigh Line (south of the main) where the "Y" at the north end of the branch connected. I grew up in Flagtown, we spent alot of time as kids down by the tracks.

pete
pierrerabbit

Postby Kaback9 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 pm

dlagrua wrote:
Jim yes you are correct the old LV Line is now CSX. Now for the spur coming into the depot from the North I assumed that it was the old CRNJ Flemington Branch as this line appeared closer to it than the NS tracks. The ROW crosses Amwell Rd, then So Branch Rd and I don't know where it headed from there but the two lines were close. You're probably right about where that spur connected to the main line.

No the old Lehigh is now[b] Norfolk Southern's [b] LEHIGH Line.
Brandon Kaback
Moderator:NJT Rail
Kaback9

Postby carajul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I read online somewhere that 500,000 tons of freight was moved into that place DAILY during WWII and 'Nam. After gov't downsizing it was razed. It was actually a self contained town at one point with housing for employees. The spur that comes of CSX (former RDG) is still in place but nothings moved over it for 20+ years. It used to connect as a wye to the mainline. There are signs that say "tracks out of service" over Rt 206 xing. I have no idea why the spur is still there and connected to the main. There is nothing left to serve. All the warehouses are torn down and it's just grassland.

Take a look at historicaerials and you'll be amazed at the trackage!
carajul

Postby pumpers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 pm

carajul wrote: I have no idea why the spur is still there and connected to the main.

The spur comes off the south end of a long siding next to the CSX main, and there is still a very active customer off of that siding
(Reckitt Benckiser?) that gets tank cars - they are sometimes stored on the siding.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qrdm7s8scn8x&scene=21181989&lvl=1&sty=b
JS
pumpers

Postby carajul » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Closer inspection reveals that the wye is somewhat in tact. The south leg track is still there and then just ends at the woods. Also appears as though the rails in the depot are torn up but all the ties still remain. Very interesting. Just imagine the carloads that place used to get. And it tapped 2 mainlines.
carajul

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 pm

pumpers wrote:
carajul wrote: The spur comes off the south end of a long siding next to the CSX main, and there is still a very active customer off of that siding
(Reckitt Benckiser?) that gets tank cars - they are sometimes stored on the siding.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qrdm7s8scn8x&scene=21181989&lvl=1&sty=b
JS
Reckitt Benckiser in Belle Meade produces Lysol and Air Wick air fresheners. Reckitt's North American headquarters are in Parsippany.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Jeanne GG1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Sure sounds better than doing it near Bloomsbury, NJ.
http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index. ... ost_1.html
Jeanne GG1

Postby Firefig » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:12 am

Me and my friends just decided to start exploring the now (seemingly) abandoned Belle Mead General Depot in Hillsborough. We've found some strange things, and were wondering what else was there. If anybody could shed some light on this place, it'd be great.
Firefig

Postby CJPat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:25 am

You are probably best off using the advanced search feature and the words Belle Meade depot. There have been a few specific threads on this subject which you can dig up and peruse for the info you are looking for. I know there have been discussions as far back as 2006.
CJPat

Next

Return to New Jersey Railfan