Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Postby pumpers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm

One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S
pumpers

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 am

pumpers wrote:One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S

Cal-chlor in the old delco plant that they rehabbed. It looks like they manufacture some form of rock-salt there. All the covered hoppers ME-2 brings out head to there typically.

As far as the Delco lead, I thought the plan was to acquire that to eventually be able to turn trains on the mid-line-loop, to avoid the cross-plant moves (5 to 1 east) at County.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby Conrail Blue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?
Conrail Blue

Postby OportRailfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am

Conrail Blue wrote:I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?

I don't think the NY Times building gets serviced (I just can't tell, doesn't look like there's any change in there), but usually every morning, a CR job comes across Woodbridge Ave and it looks like it goes into the yard adjacent to RPM
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby Conrail Blue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I went through the area last Friday and the tracks to the old Times building were indeed used very recently. The dirt was pushed up along the track at the grade crossing. What kind of cargo or who the customer is I don't know.
Conrail Blue

Postby OCtrainguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 am

I caught what I am using was the ME2 yesterday at Metuchen. It was NS 5282, CSX 6159 & CSX 6160 with no cars or caboose. They moved east past the station with the NS loco on the east end. After Amtrak's Silver Star cleared, they proceeded west with the CSX 6160 in the lead. While my sightings of this train are small, this was the first time I saw three engines, but have no complaints about that!
OCtrainguy

Previous

Return to New Jersey Railfan