US Navy Earle Railroad

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

US Navy Earle Railroad

Postby Eric Kreszl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Hello Everyone,


I know that this topic has been posted before and I have read it myself but I want to bring it up again as I have several questions related to the railroad.


1. Is the railroad still used and how often to trains run on the entire system?

2. What are the locomotives used on the railroad?

3. Are there tracks going into the wayside section of the Earle Navy base which is on the east side of the Southern Secondary next to Wyckoff Rd and is the Southen Secondary Connection under the Parkway at exit 105 and Pine Brook Rd. still used?

4. Are there railroad tracks going over Rt. 34?

5. Do all of the Railroad crossings have gates? I seem to remeber one I believe is located in Middletown that had only over the road flashers and no gated?


If anyone can answer these questions please let me know.


Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby Jtgshu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 pm

1. - yes, they run as needed, but they work mainly at night, espeically out on the pier in Leonardo. They pretty much operate daily, but mostly drilling and respotting in Leonardo and Colts Neck

2. - they use EMD switchers - probably SW1500's - they had Baldwin switchers until about 10 years ago

3. - the line between Leonardo and Colts Neck is used fairly often, at least a few times a week, but only one track is use, the other hasn't been used in many years, but AFAIK, its kept in service, and ready to go.

4. - Yes, i believe there are tracks over Rt34. There are miles and miles and miles of track in the Colts Neck base, and although not all of it is used, its still there in many cases. Check Google Earth or whatever to see all the tracks there and in Leonardo. The connection with the Southern Sec is still used and there are cars delieverd there on a sporadic basis. One of the longest freights I ever saw on the Coast Line was a 44 car freight with 2 locos, with about 25 USN boxcars - this was about 3 years ago. The longest USN train i ever saw was about 30 cars, with USN boxcars and "spacer" Railbox cars. This was about geez.....probably 1990 - around the beginning of the 1st Gulf War.

5. - I believe all the Xings now have gates - they were installed about 15 years ago, when the Navy installed traffic lights at nearly all, if not all, of the public road crossings of Normandy Road (and the RR). Before then, they were only flashers. You might be thinking of the Nut Swamp Road Xing in Middletown - that has an overhead cateliver lights, but there is also a gate there as well. Also, just south of that Xing, there is a set of crossovers from one track to the other.

Railfanning the USNRR is not recommonded - even, or should I say especially, any of you fellas who feel very strongly about "rights to photograph" from public land. :wink:

Loaded trains usually have MP escorts, with very big guns!!!!!!! The best place to WATCH the trains would be from the Henry Hudson trail in Leonardo, if you can catch one, but don't hang out long, or at the bayshore in Leonardo where you can see the pier and the trains out there. There are often boxcars kept out on the pier.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
User avatar
Jtgshu
 
Posts: 11744
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: MP 39.1

Postby Ken W2KB » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Jtgshu wrote:Railfanning the USNRR is not recommonded - even, or should I say especially, any of you fellas who feel very strongly about "rights to photograph" from public land. :wink:
.


Yep. Know the feeling. I've flown over it at 2,000 feet but resisted the temptation to descend or circle to get a better look.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
User avatar
Ken W2KB
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Postby Eric Kreszl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:51 pm

Jtgshu wrote:1. - yes, they run as needed, but they work mainly at night, espeically out on the pier in Leonardo. They pretty much operate daily, but mostly drilling and respotting in Leonardo and Colts Neck

2. - they use EMD switchers - probably SW1500's - they had Baldwin switchers until about 10 years ago

3. - the line between Leonardo and Colts Neck is used fairly often, at least a few times a week, but only one track is use, the other hasn't been used in many years, but AFAIK, its kept in service, and ready to go.

4. - Yes, i believe there are tracks over Rt34. There are miles and miles and miles of track in the Colts Neck base, and although not all of it is used, its still there in many cases. Check Google Earth or whatever to see all the tracks there and in Leonardo. The connection with the Southern Sec is still used and there are cars delieverd there on a sporadic basis. One of the longest freights I ever saw on the Coast Line was a 44 car freight with 2 locos, with about 25 USN boxcars - this was about 3 years ago. The longest USN train i ever saw was about 30 cars, with USN boxcars and "spacer" Railbox cars. This was about geez.....probably 1990 - around the beginning of the 1st Gulf War.

5. - I believe all the Xings now have gates - they were installed about 15 years ago, when the Navy installed traffic lights at nearly all, if not all, of the public road crossings of Normandy Road (and the RR). Before then, they were only flashers. You might be thinking of the Nut Swamp Road Xing in Middletown - that has an overhead cateliver lights, but there is also a gate there as well. Also, just south of that Xing, there is a set of crossovers from one track to the other.

Railfanning the USNRR is not recommonded - even, or should I say especially, any of you fellas who feel very strongly about "rights to photograph" from public land. :wink:

Loaded trains usually have MP escorts, with very big guns!!!!!!! The best place to WATCH the trains would be from the Henry Hudson trail in Leonardo, if you can catch one, but don't hang out long, or at the bayshore in Leonardo where you can see the pier and the trains out there. There are often boxcars kept out on the pier.



AFAIK What does AFAIK mean?

Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby Jtgshu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:56 pm

as far as i know - AFAIK

Geez Eric, i thought your generation only spoke in abbrevations!!!

:wink: LOL hahaha
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
User avatar
Jtgshu
 
Posts: 11744
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: MP 39.1

Postby sixty-six » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 pm

Jtgshu wrote:as far as i know - AFAIK

Geez Eric, i thought your generation only spoke in abbrevations!!!

:wink: LOL hahaha


omg r u srsly 4 real? no way!
sixty-six
 

Postby Eric Kreszl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 pm

My Generation may speak that way BUT I UNFORTINATELY DON'T. :P :P :P :P




Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby PRRTechFan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 pm

4. Yes, the bridge over Rt. 34 carries both a road and an active track.

There are extensive rail facilities within Earle as well as a decent size yard. There are tracks just about everywhere, although not frequently used. The two track line along Normandy Road up to the pier was originally constructed by the CNJ. There is evidence that it was signaled at one time.
PRRTechFan
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: Manasquan, N.J. on the NJCL

Postby Eric Kreszl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:05 pm

I wonder what signals were used?


Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby PRRTechFan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:00 pm

No clue on the exact type of signal. The only evidence left is the occasional concrete foundation just about the right size for a signal pedestal. My best guess on signals would be that if CNJ built (...and possibly operated?) the line, they probably used the same style as was originally found on the NJCL and Raritan Valley Line; each signal head had either two or three lamps arranged vertically with a large oval target. I've heard them called elephant ears; but I think you know the type I am referring to. I don't think there is even one left on the NJCL any more.
PRRTechFan
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: Manasquan, N.J. on the NJCL

Postby Eric Kreszl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:34 pm

I think I know what you are referring to. The type D 3 headded singal with the oval masts?



Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby sixty-six » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:53 pm

PRRTechFan wrote:No clue on the exact type of signal. The only evidence left is the occasional concrete foundation just about the right size for a signal pedestal. My best guess on signals would be that if CNJ built (...and possibly operated?) the line, they probably used the same style as was originally found on the NJCL and Raritan Valley Line; each signal head had either two or three lamps arranged vertically with a large oval target. I've heard them called elephant ears; but I think you know the type I am referring to. I don't think there is even one left on the NJCL any more.


No sir, just the capped signal posts.

Eric, the signals in question are the vertical 3-aspect signals with an oval target.
sixty-six
 

Postby Tom V » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:30 pm

I've lived in the area almost my whole life. I've seen them all the time passing over route 537 in Colts Neck and 520 in Lincroft, the line is still very active as the main storage facility for weapons is in Colts Neck and the pier is in Leonardo.

There are four ships based at Earle, they usually deploy with Carrier battlegroups. When these ships prepare for deployment or return you will notice a large increase in activity along the line.

Besides the four AOE ships based at Earle other Navy ships from Destroyers all the way up to Amphibious assault ships will stop at Earle to either pick up or drop off their weapons prior to or after a deployment. Naval warships usually depart the main East Coast bases of Norfolk and Mayport Florida without armaments, they stop off at Earle to stock up prior to making the Atlantic Crossing, they also make Earle there first stop on the trip back.

The exception is Submarines, Subs will leave New London or Brunswick Georgia fully armed. If they need to rearm they will make port calls in thearter.

Up untill the early 1990s there were "Special Assignment" Marines based at Earle Naval Weapons station, Special Assignment Marines are in charge of Protecting Embassies overseas, are a formal Guard at the White House, and most important guard the Navy's Nuclear aresenal.

The Special Assignment Marines guarded the Nuclear weapons at Earle and provided protection during the trip between Leonardo and Colts Neck.

In the early 1990s (1993-1994) the US enacted a arms treaty with Russia which removed Nuclear weapons from Surface warships, Earle Naval Weapons station only supplies munitions to US Navy Surface vessels. Thus the Marine Barracks at Earle was closed, today Department of Defense police and Navy Master at Arms guard the weapons in storage or during transport.
Tom V
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:40 pm

Postby Jtgshu » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:58 pm

GASP!!!!!!!!!

The Special Assignment Marines guarded the Nuclear weapons at Earle and provided protection during the trip between Leonardo and Colts Neck.


I can't believe there were Nukes at Earle!??!?!?!?!

"rolleyes"

That was the WORST kept secret in Monmouth County - hahahaha

I remember seeing a few of those trips, and it was quite an odd feeling to be sitting at the Kings Highway Crossing in Middletown and seeing a soldier holding a very large gun and pointing it in the direction of your car!!!!!!!! The train would crawl down the tracks, and those stationed on the Xing would zoom around and race up to the next one, when the train was clear and a safe distance away. IIRC, they also had a flatcar that had soldiers standing on it, along with soldiers (armed, of course) on the pilot of the loco.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
User avatar
Jtgshu
 
Posts: 11744
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: MP 39.1

Earle cabooses

Postby caboose9 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi,

They have/had 2 steel, cupola, cabooses at Earle - USN 63-00239 & -00240.

Are they still there?

Thanks, Roger
caboose9
 

Next

Return to New Jersey Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests