SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby NJT4272 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am

They've already been added to the roster posted on the Reading & Northern's website.

http://www.rbmnrr.com/roster/

Thinking about this acquisition further, I have to say........ I hope, considering where they are going (and perhaps I'm getting way ahead of myself here), that the Reading and Northern gives them a fitting R&N representative livery, and not a duplicate of the old Reading FT, F3, F7, or FP7 livery. If they did, that would be way too many Reading F-units running around. We've got the FP-7s 900, 902, & 903, plus the URHS's fake F-7 284. It would be very nice if these two wore a unique dress and stood out among the other F-7s in the area.............. my 2 cents, and I'm sure we won't be seeing them out on the rails for a while. They're gonna need a lot of work.
"I'll keep pulling on the towpath. You keep floatin' on the river. Yeah, 'til the day is done. Keep on keepin' on the low road, Chesapeake and Ohio....."
- Neil Fallon. CLUTCH. "The Elephant Riders"
User avatar
NJT4272
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Monroe County, PA

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby pdtrains » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 am

NJT4272 wrote:They've already been added to the roster posted on the Reading & Northern's website.

http://www.rbmnrr.com/roster/

Thinking about this acquisition further, I have to say........ I hope, considering where they are going (and perhaps I'm getting way ahead of myself here), that the Reading and Northern gives them a fitting R&N representative livery, and not a duplicate of the old Reading FT, F3, F7, or FP7 livery. If they did, that would be way too many Reading F-units running around. We've got the FP-7s 900, 902, & 903, plus the URHS's fake F-7 284. It would be very nice if these two wore a unique dress and stood out among the other F-7s in the area.............. my 2 cents, and I'm sure we won't be seeing them out on the rails for a while. They're gonna need a lot of work.



REALLY? Maybe they shud just scrap them, and you'll be happier.. But I digress
pdtrains
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Phila, PA, Paso Robles, CA

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby NJT4272 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

pdtrains wrote: REALLY? Maybe they shud just scrap them, and you'll be happier.. But I digress


Geez!!!! That was harsh! I was just hoping for a little diversity and something unique! To imply that I'd rather see them scrapped is going a bit far. Perhaps you would be happy if every single piece of preserved and restored rail equipment was simply painted flat black with white road numbers and reporting marks!

VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!
"I'll keep pulling on the towpath. You keep floatin' on the river. Yeah, 'til the day is done. Keep on keepin' on the low road, Chesapeake and Ohio....."
- Neil Fallon. CLUTCH. "The Elephant Riders"
User avatar
NJT4272
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Monroe County, PA

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby glennk419 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm sure that our South Jersey sleuths will be on the lookout but does anyone know when this equipment will be moving out?
Glenn
User avatar
glennk419
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby MedicSutton » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 am

Noticed recently a lot of track surveying in the area of 561 and spring road. Also noticed on a few different occassions Pairs of NS Locos laying over on the stub end. More activity in the last 3 weeks in winslow junction then ive notived in last 5 years. Wondering if there are pending upgrades to the area since it seems like they are clearing the area of rolling stock. I know the crossings were recently upgraded both on spring and 561. On a side note I feel like a 38 year old with a secret train addiction lol. One of these days my wife is going to ask me who i am seeing when I sneak out of the house to check out the trains :-) :P :P
Not you fat Jesus
User avatar
MedicSutton
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Merchantville, NJ

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby liftedjeep » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 am

MedicSutton wrote:Noticed recently a lot of track surveying in the area of 561 and spring road. Also noticed on a few different occassions Pairs of NS Locos laying over on the stub end. More activity in the last 3 weeks in winslow junction then ive notived in last 5 years. Wondering if there are pending upgrades to the area since it seems like they are clearing the area of rolling stock. I know the crossings were recently upgraded both on spring and 561. On a side note I feel like a 38 year old with a secret train addiction lol. One of these days my wife is going to ask me who i am seeing when I sneak out of the house to check out the trains :-) :P :P


The NS locos you are seeing is the power from the various loaded stone trains (62X). There had been issues in the past with vandalism and kids playing on the power when they were parked along the BEES. Storing them in the open SRNJ yard is an attempt to deter this.
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
User avatar
liftedjeep
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Pennsauken, New Jersey

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby glennk419 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am

Does anyone know if the F units and RDC have moved yet? Seems someone would have seen them if so.
Glenn
User avatar
glennk419
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby nomis » Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 pm

The moved on CA-51 today.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2023
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby johnnyloco » Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 pm

5/18/2017

WPCA51 took them north today.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=122475
User avatar
johnnyloco
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby liftedjeep » Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 am

The three pieces of ex SRNJ equipment that came up from Winslow Junction yesterday on WPCA-51, and photographed by johnnyloco, were spotted this morning along side of Pavonia Yard's engine house coupled to CSX #1123:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4711209

Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
User avatar
liftedjeep
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Pennsauken, New Jersey

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby glennk419 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:23 pm

liftedjeep wrote:The three pieces of ex SRNJ equipment that came up from Winslow Junction yesterday on WPCA-51, and photographed by johnnyloco, were spotted this morning along side of Pavonia Yard's engine house coupled to CSX #1123:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4711209

Ben

Well, that about figures. I actually made it down to Winslow today to see a lot of empty rails. They have certainly "cleaned out the garage" down there. I spotted a couple fellow railfans who were probably equally disappointed.
Glenn
User avatar
glennk419
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: Southeastern PA & Cape May County, NJ

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby liftedjeep » Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 pm

From what I've heard, the two former Blue Comet coaches are going to be next. At last report, they (or at least one at the moment) were being prepped to be moved. This move(s) will apparently be done via flatbed as neither car is equipped with roller bearings thereby preventing transport by rail.
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
User avatar
liftedjeep
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Pennsauken, New Jersey

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby johnnyloco » Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm

5/18/2017

CNJ 1172 on the old wye track at Winslow.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4713421
User avatar
johnnyloco
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby TOMSTV1 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:35 pm

I think I read that the cars were headed up north to the railroad shop in Boonton, to be rebuilt.
TOMSTV1
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

Postby liftedjeep » Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm

TOMSTV1 wrote:I think I read that the cars were headed up north to the railroad shop in Boonton, to be rebuilt.


Correct. They are both owned by the URHS who's shops are in Boonton.
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
User avatar
liftedjeep
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Pennsauken, New Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests