Isolated Spurs by Edison train station

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Isolated Spurs by Edison train station

Postby carajul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Looking at google maps just to the north west of the NJT Edison station, by Kilmer Rd and the post office, there is a few isolated tracks. On satelite they was a network of spurs going into all these warehouses. Looks like they were recently cut from the NJT main. Anyone know who owns these and why they are all dead? Seems like it was an extensive spur network. All the warehouses have boxcar sidings.

Upon further research it looks like these tracks were originally the line to Camp Kilmer but when that was closed sort of transformed into a spur network for the new warehouses that took over the old camp kilmer grounds.

Anyone know when/why they were abandoned? Once they are ripped up the RR can never serve those warehouses again. In the 1979 arials there are box cars all over the buildings.
carajul

Re: Isolated Spurs by Edison train station

Postby von schlieffen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 am

When I attended Rutgers University around 12 years ago, the tracks still extended to some warehouses that were part of the Livingston campus and used by the facilities maintenance guys for storing equipment. The tracks were paved over in many places and had obviously not been used in some time (decades). I now live in the southern part of the state and can't comment on the current condition.

EDIT: You're talking about the tracks leading NW from Edison station. I believe these are just commercial warehouses. I was referring to the trackage formerly leading SW of the station- look for Warehouse Rd. and "Road 3". The tracks go in between these buildings, which have covered loading docks. The tracks formerly rejoined the NEC slightly south. The rails were still there last time I checked, but they're in dense woods now.
von schlieffen

Postby CarterB » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 am

If you use http://www.historicaerials.com/ look up cedar ln, Edison NJ, then use the Compare (slide) and compare current to 1947 and 1956 you will see clearly
the Camp Kilmer yard/s and turnaround. Photo of railroad ops 'WWII at http://www.tehistory.org/hqda/html/v42/v42n2p035.html

Also some previous posts at viewtopic.php?f=127&t=22197&hilit=metuchen&start=30
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby pumpers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Within the last year or so, I have seen Conrail engines on the sidings to the NW of the Edison station, I believe at least once with a cut of cars. So somebody (at least one of those warehouses or small manufaturers I suppose) is being serviced... JS
pumpers

Postby carajul » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:09 pm

You mean the tracks to the NE of Edison station are still served. The tracks I'm referring to located NW of the station have been severed. The Edison station commuter parking lot and a road called Kilmer Court are build on top of the spur row. Funny thing is if you look on google maps (road map) it shows the severed tracks. Just a few feet of RR tracks here and there lol. I guess someone at NS just says "well we haven't served these spurs in 30 years no point in keeping them". All of those warehouses just to the north and south of Kilmer Rd had a spur network.
carajul

Return to New Jersey Railfan