CR on the Southern Secondary

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Postby snavely » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Right, I meant to say no working FRED, which is the same as no FRED.
snavely

Postby glennk419 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am

snavely wrote:Right, I meant to say no working FRED, which is the same as no FRED.

I've seen other FRED's that do not flash during the day and always assumed that they had a light sensor to save battery life and only flash when it's dark.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby snavely » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 pm

FRA Regulations in CFR:
§ 221.13 Marking device display.
(a) During the periods prescribed in paragraph (b) of this section, each train to which this part applies that occupies or operates on main track shall (1) be equipped with, (2) display on the trailing end of the rear car of that train, and (3) continuously illuminate or flash a marking device prescribed in this subpart.

(b) Unless equipped with a functioning photoelectric cell activation mechanism complying with paragraph (c) of this section, the marking devices prescribed by this subpart shall be illuminated continuously or flash during the period between one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise, and during all other hours when weather conditions so restrict visibility that the end silhouette of a standard box car cannot be seen from 1/2 mile on tangent track by a person having 20/20 corrected vision.

Pretty sure there was less than an hour to sunset judging by the video.
snavely

Postby FLtoNJ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello, I just moved to NJ and recently found out there are tracks behind my house. Said tracks are rarely used and run through Monroe/Cranbury, crossing Prospect Plains Rd. My question is this: how could I go about finding out more about the trains that run on these tracks?
FLtoNJ

Postby R&DB » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:57 am

by FLtoNJ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello, I just moved to NJ and recently found out there are tracks behind my house. Said tracks are rarely used and run through Monroe/Cranbury, crossing Prospect Plains Rd. My question is this: how could I go about finding out more about the trains that run on these tracks?

That RR line is in use and has active customers in the industrial park north of Prospect Plains Road. I believe it is served by Csao SA31 crew out of Browns Yard (Old Bridge) on Fridays. You can probably learn more on the Browns Yard topic on this forum.
And welcome to NJ.
Harry
R&DB

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

FLtoNJ wrote:Hello, I just moved to NJ and recently found out there are tracks behind my house. Said tracks are rarely used and run through Monroe/Cranbury, crossing Prospect Plains Rd. My question is this: how could I go about finding out more about the trains that run on these tracks?

Judging from your descriptions, you are talking about the Hightstown Industrial Track, and yes R&DB, it is served by the SA-31. I'm not sure about on Fridays, but your guess is better than mine :P .

snavely wrote:Video shows a whole lot of rocking going on- starts to make me seasick...also looks like no FRED on the tail end.

And oh yeah. In my opinion, Sycamore Ave. is THE worst area of track on the entire SOUS.
"Come on, come on, let's go, we're gonna miss it!"
- Coast Line Rail Productions - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ZWB4 ... 3wPs75cfZw
- David
Coast Line Railfan

Postby NJT4149 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Permission on Church at 3:00 PM
Permission to open up 3:30 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:41 PM. Signal indication at RARE
"When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."
http://www.youtube.com/user/thezyrisawesome
Jersey Shore Rail Productions
NJT4149

Postby Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Most likely will be 6228 or 4412 today... NS 5285 lost its cab signaling... we can expect CSX 4415 to take its spot at Browns Yard tomorrow.
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Youtube Channel, JRF: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtknt ... subscriber
Railfanning NJT and CSAO!

Erik I.
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Postby RailsEast » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:54 pm

CSX 6228 leading CSX 4412, approaching Maxwell Rd at 5:00 in the pm. 14 Woodhavens, one tank, one gon this week......
"Old railfans never die, they just lose track......"
My collection My best
Supporting member: BRRHT, NYS&WT&HS, CRHS
RailsEast

Postby Tanker1497 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

FLtoNJ wrote:Hello, I just moved to NJ and recently found out there are tracks behind my house.

I can't help but say this... how in the world can somebody in 2019 buy a home and not know there's an active railroad behind the house?
For that matter a school, junkyard a super fund site?
I deliver mail for the USPS and I had a new resident come out of her house to ask Me why there were 23 school buses running down her street!!! I politely told her there was a Big Middle school located at the end of the street... end of the street was 8 houses away! Here response was priceless well that's going to stop tomorrow! LOL ! You plop down hard earned money on a 350k house and don't know what's in the area!
This was not aimed at the original posted to be mean spirited.
It seems to me he's kinda happy to have a train to watch for... but still the first line applies.
Tanker1497

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Tanker1497 wrote:
FLtoNJ wrote:Hello, I just moved to NJ and recently found out there are tracks behind my house.

I can't help but say this... how in the world can somebody in 2019 buy a home and not know there's an active railroad behind the house?
For that matter a school, junkyard a super fund site?
I deliver mail for the USPS and I had a new resident come out of her house to ask Me why there were 23 school buses running down her street!!! I politely told her there was a Big Middle school located at the end of the street... end of the street was 8 houses away! Here response was priceless well that's going to stop tomorrow! LOL ! You plop down hard earned money on a 350k house and don't know what's in the area!
This was not aimed at the original posted to be mean spirited.
It seems to me he's kinda happy to have a train to watch for... but still the first line applies.

That women is a very good example of what a NIMBY is. Whines their arse off over stuff they could've avoided. (Not all NIMBYs are like that, some just complain of the noise and stuff. My counter is, what is more important? Your life or your peace and quiet to watch crappy soap operas?)
"Come on, come on, let's go, we're gonna miss it!"
- Coast Line Rail Productions - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ZWB4 ... 3wPs75cfZw
- David
Coast Line Railfan

Postby Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Jersey Rail FIlmmakers wrote:Most likely will be 6228 or 4412 today... NS 5285 lost its cab signaling... we can expect CSX 4415 to take its spot at Browns Yard tomorrow.

NS 5285 has been fixed, It ran freehold Monday.

The Current power in Browns yard is:
-CSX GP40-2 4412
-CSX GP40-2 6228
-NS GP38-2 5285
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Erik I.
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Postby Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Erik I.
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Postby NJT4149 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm

SA-31 has permission on Church with 12 cars... 3:07 PM
Permission to open up at 3:29 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:39 PM
"When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."
http://www.youtube.com/user/thezyrisawesome
Jersey Shore Rail Productions
NJT4149

Postby Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

CSX 4432 reported being heard on a friends scanner, not sure yet about power.

Erik I.
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Railfan