Beacon Park Tracker

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, Ian MacMillan

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby MBTA1016 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Didn't know u lived that close Ted. I have a family member that lives close to readville as well. I do agree walpole's yard is great for modeling, plus u have the diamond were the subdivision meets the Franklin line. Readville would be good for modeling, because u have the NEC mainline, the Franklin Line going over the NEC and the csx yard. Back to beacon park.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG


Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
User avatar
MBTA1016
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Walpole MA

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby agreinhold » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I went by Beacon Park yard today and the container operation is completely gone. The engine facility is still very active and there were 3 gondolas and a switching engine in the main yard. Only one track, the south-most, is being used by the MBTA, as evidenced by the uncleared snow.
agreinhold
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby Knucklehead » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm

agreinhold wrote:I went by Beacon Park yard today and the container operation is completely gone. The engine facility is still very active and there were 3 gondolas and a switching engine in the main yard. Only one track, the south-most, is being used by the MBTA, as evidenced by the uncleared snow.


Same thing on Saturday morning, however TV1 track was full of bare tables.
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby csxb&aconductor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there
csxb&aconductor
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby Komarovsky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm

They're really closing the engine house? I thought that was to remain open for a while longer, since the only other facility like that in the area is in Selkirk.
Komarovsky
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby Narrowgauger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Komarovsky wrote:They're really closing the engine house? I thought that was to remain open for a while longer, since the only other facility like that in the area is in Selkirk.



So are you saying that the end of Beacon Park is here? What can we expect for freight traffic east of Worcester ?
Ted
User avatar
Narrowgauger
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby johnpbarlow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 am

Narrowgauger wrote:So are you saying that the end of Beacon Park is here? What can we expect for freight traffic east of Worcester ?
Ted


I believe Q436/437 will still run manifest freight to/from Framingham for parsing up for locals to Everett, Walpole & south, and Leominster. Plus there is a local that runs between Worcester and Framingham.
johnpbarlow
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby CRail » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

I believe CSX is also trying to get someone to move into the old auto transfer facility in Framingham. And is Nevans still getting the tank cars of corn syrup?
Avatar: 3679A (Green)/3623B (Teal), now out of service as 3679 (New Green)
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Woodlawn

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby johnpbarlow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 pm

The Staley corn syrup transload facility in Nevins Yard was closed and dismantled a few years ago. I guess all corn syrup transloading on CSX in the Boston metro area is at the Westboro yard.
johnpbarlow
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby Safetee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

I recently read a book about the construction of the Mass Pike. The majority of the book is pictures of the utter destruction of the Boston and Albany line which was part of the then glorious plan to build the pike.

And now the final chapter is beign written of the freight derailization of the hub in general and the great Boston and Albany line in particular. I suspect that like the destruction of the Old Colony line which today severely crimps expansion of south shore passenger rail dreams eventually this Beacon Park demise will bite the planners where it hurts when they try to get more passenger trains coming in from the west.
Safetee
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby johnpbarlow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 am

csxb&aconductor wrote:those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there


How will CSX turn locomotives in Worcester given they have no balloon track or wye? Will CSX have access to P&W's wye? A few years back when CSX delivered multilevels to Framingham, the engines for the train returning empties to the midwest were often turned either because of equipment issues (eg, no working radio on the west facing engine) or because there was only one CSX cab signal equipped locomotive on the in-bound engine set and it was facing east.
johnpbarlow
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby frrc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 pm

johnpbarlow wrote:
csxb&aconductor wrote:those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there


How will CSX turn locomotives in Worcester given they have no balloon track or wye? Will CSX have access to P&W's wye? A few years back when CSX delivered multilevels to Framingham, the engines for the train returning empties to the midwest were often turned either because of equipment issues (eg, no working radio on the west facing engine) or because there was only one CSX cab signal equipped locomotive on the in-bound engine set and it was facing east.


There was some talk about CSX putting in a wye in Worcester yard at some future time. Or CSX could setup the locomotives so one on each end is cab forward.

J
Avatar: Self Portrait, Railroad Office
Renaissance Restorations LLC
Leominster, MA 01453

My Sites: Architectual Restorations
User avatar
frrc
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: Leominster, MA

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby boatsmate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 pm

they are not closing Farmingham, only Becon Park. Framingham still has the WYE. so if an issue arrises they forward the egines to Framingham Wye them and send them back.... nothing ever happens right away that they have to turn the power with in minutes of arriving in Worcester
boatsmate
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Boylston, Ma

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby Knucklehead » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

boatsmate wrote:they are not closing Farmingham, only Becon Park. Framingham still has the WYE. so if an issue arrises they forward the egines to Framingham Wye them and send them back.... nothing ever happens right away that they have to turn the power with in minutes of arriving in Worcester


There was also talk last year around this time of dying power on the P&W also, if needed. It can be done there, but basically requires the use of their entire yard (size wise) to do.
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Beacon Park Tracker

Postby The EGE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Took this shot two weeks ago. The main section was completely empty.

Image
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... y_2013.JPG
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the B Branch

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests