Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Postby CVRA7 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Noel, would Tiffany & Pickett be that last customer on the CNE east of the Naugy at Winsted?
CVRA7

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu May 25, 2017 12:28 am

Sorry but I don't remember just what the customer was over the bridge in East Winsted. I still think Burwell Lumber was the last and was probably still there until the end. The last time I rode to Winsted was in 1958, once or twice before the last passenger train in December which the single Budd Car was packed and it snowed that evening.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby William Deramus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:The line from Torrington to Winsted remained on the west side of route 8 (compass direction not railroad direction) all the way to a point maybe a mile or two south of Burrville where the road crossed the railroad on a bridge. This was called sinkhole bridge at one time. South of the bridge the old route 8 swung off to the left (northbound) and followed the track, this involved a crossing as well. North (compass) of Burrville to Winsted the track remaioned on the east side of route 8 until another point maybe a mile or so short of Winsted where it was again crossed by a bridge. I think the sinkhole bridge is still there but I am not sure about the one closer to Winsted.
Noel Weaver

"Sinkhole Bridge" or what is referred to as such, is still there. The bridge between Burrville and Winsted is long since gone and evidence of its location is difficult to find. That bridge can be seen in a photo taken by Thomas MacNamara (correct me if I'm wrong on the photo credit) of NH 0722 "The Cranberry" as it pulled a special up to Winsted and back in 1953.
William Deramus

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 pm

The photo mentioned appeared in the book "The battle foe profits" on page 70 and page 71. It shows 0722 on the head end of a special that came down from Boston. As mentioned it is at the passenger station in Winsted. Today nothing remains. The bridge I mentioned was about a mile or so west (timetable direction) of the Winsted station and is also long gone. The only time you could see a passenger train of this character in Winsted would be an occasional fantrip or a summer camp special. The inserted photo is much closer to Winsted not far from where the CNE crossed route 8 again much closer to the station and again long gone.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby William Deramus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:The photo mentioned appeared in the book "The battle foe profits" on page 70 and page 71. It shows 0722 on the head end of a special that came down from Boston. As mentioned it is at the passenger station in Winsted.
Noel Weaver

I have seen the photo of the 0722 and consist at the Winsted station, but the photo I was referring to was featured in Scott Hartley's book New Haven Railroad The Final Decades. I forget what page it is on, but I have a copy. That particular photo shows the road bridge over the line.
William Deramus

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:50 pm

For some reason I didn't bother to look at the Scott Hartley book which is one of the better books of the period. Indeed on pages 122 and 123 is a good color photo of the bridge in question. One reason the bridge is gone today is the dangerous curves at both ends of the bridge. This was probably a high accident area at one time. That fantrip most likely came out of Boston and I guess being that the "Cranberry" engine appears as the lead engine into Winsted it must have operated via the Shore Line rather than via Willimantic which was much more direct. I guess the more answers we get, the more questions we have.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby CannaScrews » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 pm

A culvert has been replaced just north of Chase Bridge in Watertown which results in lifting the 5mph speed restriction.

A 6-foot concrete pipe culvert replaces the original cut stone Naugatuck RR culvert.

In honor of the occasion, a "name-that-water-course" contest is being started. Send your $5 donation via the Railroad Museum of New England's website ( http://www.rmne.org ) for consideration. Signs will be erected making the culvert an identifiable physical location in the NRR timetable.

Right now, according to an unofficial sample, Bat Brook is the clear leader, followed by Slow Order Stream.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 115&type=3
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance -
Baffle 'em with bulls**t...
CannaScrews

Previous

Return to New England Railfan