Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Postby Dick H » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm

The MBRRE "Torrington Extra" is showing sold out as of April 12th.
http://www.massbayrre.org/
Dick H

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm

I'd imagine tickets must be getting mailed out soon then
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby Dick H » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Let's hope so on the tickets. The original order form stated "Tickets will be
mailed to you in mid-April. Clock is ticking.
Dick H

Postby shadyjay » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Got mine today here in VT, after just e-mailing MassBay yesterday. Didn't make the cut for the Rutland 260, despite ordering back in March.

So huck your ox (check yer' box) soon!
shadyjay

Postby Dick H » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Spoke with the MBRRE ticket office today. They are still working to get
all the tickets mailed out.
Dick H

Postby NaugyRR » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am

The charge went through on mine today, so that's a good sign.

*EDIT*

Just got an e-mail from the MBRRE:

"All tickets for the 'Torrington Extra Photo Special' excursion on the Naugatuck Railroad on Saturday, April 29 have been mailed as of Wednesday, April 19. Your tickets should arrive in the next day or two, if they have not shown up already."

"If you do not receive your tickets before the trip, don't panic! We have a list of all persons who ordered tickets. If your tickets haven't arrived by Thursday, April 27, contact us by email or by phone at 978-470-2066 and we'll arrange for you to pick up duplicate tickets trainside on Saturday"
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby shadyjay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Great job on today's trip, Naugy and MassBay RRE! For those who missed out, FL-9 #2019 led southbound, with 3 ex-CN coaches and the "Rutland 260". We first headed from Thomaston south to Highland Jct (Waterbury, end of NAUG territory), with 2 photo runbys along the way, then back north to Thomaston for a lunch break. After lunch, U23B #2203 hooked on at the north end and pulled us to the end of track in Torrington. Returning south, with #2019 leading, we did a photo runby/restroom stop at East Litchfield, then returned to Thomaston shortly after 3. Those that wanted to could stay on for another runby down by Chase Bridge, but I chose to disembark, as I had a 4 hour driver back to VT.

#2019 was running flawlessly, barely making any smoke, and it was quite evident she had a bath recently. Her Hancock air whistle sounded great, and she looked quite authentic without the ditch lights put on. Outside of the squeaky flanges (all part of the experience), it was a great trip. I'll post some pics and video link here once I get things sorted out.
shadyjay

Postby J.D. Lang » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:13 am

A couple of pictures from yesterday's MBRRE's excursion on the Naugy:
FL-9 2019 thru East Litchfield:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=237205
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=237206

U23B crossing Albert ST. in Torrington:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=237210

The 2019 is a stunning looking locomotive.

J. Lang
J.D. Lang

Postby H.F.Malone » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:58 am

2019 had a set of 16 new fuel injectors installed, the fuel racks set, and valve timing adjusted, all about 2 weeks ago.

2019 was hand-washed on Friday April 28, for the MBRRE trip.
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."
H.F.Malone

Re: Official Nauygatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Postby Noel Weaver » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:10 pm

I am glad the trip worked out good for you and probably everybody else as well. It was a good opportunity to ride an interesting and historic piece of railroad. I wish I could have been with you, I would have pointed out what was what in Torrington back when the line handled a lot of freight seven days a week. All gone today. Thanks for the photo.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby NortheastTrainGuy1965 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Where was the Stop in East Litchfield?

Has anyone heard if a Thomaston to Torrington tourist excursion might become a regular event? Even once a month on a weekend would be nice.

I realize the NVRR Torrington portion of the line is focused on freight but it would be awesome if RMNE could add a regular tourist excursion up to Torrington. I was so bummed I could not get tickets for this event.

The sights and sounds of a passenger excursion in Torrington was wonderful. One can only dream about the future.
NortheastTrainGuy1965

Postby shadyjay » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pm

The East Litchfield stop was at the former station site, adjacent to the CT 118 overpass.

Outside of the occasional transformer shipments, the only customer on the line is south of Thomaston. From what I gathered, there is very limited service on the line north of Thomaston Dam, though it is in good shape. We passed by a lot of businesses in Torrington that used to have freight service back in the day as evident by remains of former sidings, but a few of those factories are abandoned.

The line is scenic but under full leaf-out conditions, it wouldn't be as nice as the section south of the dam to the outskirts of Waterbury. It was pretty neat seeing the remnants of the old right of way and old Route 8 north of the dam. With the dam being built after the 1955(?) flood and the line relocated for a few miles to a higher grade, could this be the newest rail line in the state?

Here's my photo runby shot at Jericho Bridge...
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... otoindex=3
shadyjay

Postby NaugyRR » Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 am

I thought it was a great trip, and the weather was actually decent from what they were calling for. I was expecting some oppressive heat, but there was a nice breeze throughout the day. My window even managed to stay open for most of the trip, although she dropped and tested my reflexes a couple times on the ride back from Torrington, haha. It was kinda funny seeing the reception from the general public we received in Torrington; it was a mix of friendly waving to confused faces. I'm glad I went, and really enjoyed seeing the remaining industrial trackage in Torrington. Maybe sometime in the future the MBRRE could arrange a trip to run on Pan Am's trackage to Bristol, and possibly a run on the branch into Albert Brothers scrap in Waterbury.
NaugyRR

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am

The branch into Albert Bros. is the remaining stub of the Watertown Branch, correct?
Ridgefielder

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pm

NortheastTrainGuy1965 wrote:Has anyone heard if a Thomaston to Torrington tourist excursion might become a regular event?

No one has heard that. Have you?

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan