Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

Postby CVRA7 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Noel, would Tiffany & Pickett be that last customer on the CNE east of the Naugy at Winsted?
CVRA7

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu May 25, 2017 12:28 am

Sorry but I don't remember just what the customer was over the bridge in East Winsted. I still think Burwell Lumber was the last and was probably still there until the end. The last time I rode to Winsted was in 1958, once or twice before the last passenger train in December which the single Budd Car was packed and it snowed that evening.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby William Deramus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:The line from Torrington to Winsted remained on the west side of route 8 (compass direction not railroad direction) all the way to a point maybe a mile or two south of Burrville where the road crossed the railroad on a bridge. This was called sinkhole bridge at one time. South of the bridge the old route 8 swung off to the left (northbound) and followed the track, this involved a crossing as well. North (compass) of Burrville to Winsted the track remaioned on the east side of route 8 until another point maybe a mile or so short of Winsted where it was again crossed by a bridge. I think the sinkhole bridge is still there but I am not sure about the one closer to Winsted.
Noel Weaver

"Sinkhole Bridge" or what is referred to as such, is still there. The bridge between Burrville and Winsted is long since gone and evidence of its location is difficult to find. That bridge can be seen in a photo taken by Thomas MacNamara (correct me if I'm wrong on the photo credit) of NH 0722 "The Cranberry" as it pulled a special up to Winsted and back in 1953.
William Deramus

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 pm

The photo mentioned appeared in the book "The battle foe profits" on page 70 and page 71. It shows 0722 on the head end of a special that came down from Boston. As mentioned it is at the passenger station in Winsted. Today nothing remains. The bridge I mentioned was about a mile or so west (timetable direction) of the Winsted station and is also long gone. The only time you could see a passenger train of this character in Winsted would be an occasional fantrip or a summer camp special. The inserted photo is much closer to Winsted not far from where the CNE crossed route 8 again much closer to the station and again long gone.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby William Deramus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:The photo mentioned appeared in the book "The battle foe profits" on page 70 and page 71. It shows 0722 on the head end of a special that came down from Boston. As mentioned it is at the passenger station in Winsted.
Noel Weaver

I have seen the photo of the 0722 and consist at the Winsted station, but the photo I was referring to was featured in Scott Hartley's book New Haven Railroad The Final Decades. I forget what page it is on, but I have a copy. That particular photo shows the road bridge over the line.
William Deramus

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:50 pm

For some reason I didn't bother to look at the Scott Hartley book which is one of the better books of the period. Indeed on pages 122 and 123 is a good color photo of the bridge in question. One reason the bridge is gone today is the dangerous curves at both ends of the bridge. This was probably a high accident area at one time. That fantrip most likely came out of Boston and I guess being that the "Cranberry" engine appears as the lead engine into Winsted it must have operated via the Shore Line rather than via Willimantic which was much more direct. I guess the more answers we get, the more questions we have.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby CannaScrews » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 pm

A culvert has been replaced just north of Chase Bridge in Watertown which results in lifting the 5mph speed restriction.

A 6-foot concrete pipe culvert replaces the original cut stone Naugatuck RR culvert.

In honor of the occasion, a "name-that-water-course" contest is being started. Send your $5 donation via the Railroad Museum of New England's website ( http://www.rmne.org ) for consideration. Signs will be erected making the culvert an identifiable physical location in the NRR timetable.

Right now, according to an unofficial sample, Bat Brook is the clear leader, followed by Slow Order Stream.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 115&type=3
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance -
Baffle 'em with bulls**t...
CannaScrews

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 am

I am planning on visiting the RMNE over the Memorial Day weekend (2018), as my birthday falls around that time and I try and ride a different train every year. I looked on the RMNE website and they are running on Saturday and Sunday, with two trips per day. One is at noon, and the other is at 2:00PM. The 2:00PM trip of the days has a notation which says "with Fascias stop."

I looked on the website's FAQ section but didn't see an explanation. I will want to ride one train and photograph the other. What is the Fascias stop, and why is it only for the 2:00 train? Also, can anyone recommend some good photo locations? Also, where is the end stop for the trip?

Thanks.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 am

I haven't ridden since the MBRRE excursion to Torrington, but they probably stop at the Fascia's Chocolate Shop. See https://fasciaschocolates.com/. I highly recommend their butter crunch!
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby H.F.Malone » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm

The 2 pm train makes a 20 minute stop at Fascia's in Waterville. That stop is at the southern end of the regular trip, at the Waterville run-around track. The Fascia's stop is in addition to the regular 1 hour-15 minute round trip out of Thomaston; the 2 pm trip therefore runs a little longer.
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."
H.F.Malone

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 am

Thank you for the quick replies!
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Here is your opportunity to ride to Torrinrton.

https://www.registercitizen.com/news/ar ... 085474.php

Much of this line between Thomaston and East Litchfield never had regular passenger service because the regular passenger trains came off before the new line over the dam was finished. I hope this is a prelude to more Torrington trips in the future.

Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby gokeefe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Is this the first time they have run to Torrington?
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary quoting
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby shadyjay » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 pm

There's been occasional trips to Torrington over the years, but IIRC nothing regular.
I rode the Mass Bay RRE trip a couple years ago and it covered the entire railroad, end-to-end. Once you get up to East Litchfield, the scenery becomes less rural and more of a backyard urban environment up to the end of track.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unnecessary quoting
shadyjay

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Here is another opportunity to ride from Thomaston to Torrington and back. It is a ride well worth doing.

https://www.registercitizen.com/enterta ... 172763.php

Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Previous

Return to New England Railfan