Info about the film "It Happened to Jane"

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Info about the film "It Happened to Jane"

Postby NellsChoo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi all

Last night I watched the 1959 film "It Happened to Jane" for the first time. I heard about it when we took the P&W Tripod Tour a while back. At one point during the trip, we were all told we were where they had shot a scene.

What I would like to know is:
Was the film shot only on NH tracks? If so, where?
Was the Cape Anne station a real one?
Who owned the rolling stock (at one point you can briefly see a locomotive number painted over in black paint)
Was any of the filming actually done up in Maine?

If anyone has any info about the film, I'd be curious to hear it! :-)

Jonelle
It is still GUILFORD to me... http://www.newenglanddepot.net
NellsChoo

Re: Info about the film "It Happened to Jane"

Postby Ridgefielder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 pm

It was definitely filmed on the New Haven; some details are in the thread here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=67426&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Ridgefielder

Postby NellsChoo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

AHA, so no scenes appear to have been in Maine... or at least not rail scenes. I also found this:

Production
Olde 97 is based on the J-Class 2-8-2 steam locomotives that used to run on the New Haven Railroad. Olde 97 was a common nickname for steam locomotives that had the number 97 on them.

The movie was mostly filmed in Chester, Connecticut. The final scene filmed at downtown Chester Connecticut was about 3 miles from the train station used in the movie. The locomotive in the final scene was a wooden prop built near where the final scene was filmed. People from all over Connecticut were invited to be extras in the movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_to_Jane
NellsChoo

Postby CVRA7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Jonelle, to my knowledge the locations used in "It Happened to Jane" were primarily Chester, Plainfield, Hartford, Milldale (Southington), and I guess New Haven.
The prop "Cape Ann" station sat about where the current Valley RR Chester station sits today. The equipment was likely all Nwe Haven Railroad. "E&P 97" was actually NH 3016. I have copies of the train register and some train orders and they are addressed to "E&P 97" and IIRC they were dated May-July 1958. The locomotive was scrapped later that year after some attempts were made to give it away. Unfortunately this was just before any preservation efforts were started to any large degree. I imagine had the loco been kept a bit longer F Nelson Blount of Steamtown fame would have had a good chance to acquire it. There is a possibilty that one or both of the FL9s used in the scene at Plainfield may have survived, but all the other equipment is probably long gone.
CVRA7

Postby HighlandRail/DEY-7 652 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe a NH coach in the RMNE collection was in the movie? One of the copper clads?
Mike L

The Springfield Line's longest shoving move record holder.
HighlandRail/DEY-7 652

Postby shadyjay » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am

CVRA7 wrote:Jonelle, to my knowledge the locations used in "It Happened to Jane" were primarily Chester, Plainfield, Hartford, Milldale (Southington), and I guess New Haven.
The prop "Cape Ann" station sat about where the current Valley RR Chester station sits today. The equipment was likely all Nwe Haven Railroad. "E&P 97" was actually NH 3016. I have copies of the train register and some train orders and they are addressed to "E&P 97" and IIRC they were dated May-July 1958. The locomotive was scrapped later that year after some attempts were made to give it away.

Hmmm... interesting... the last time I drove past the package store in the center of Chester village, I could've sworn I saw 'ole 97 sitting there! :-D

Some shots of the movie also in Centerbrook, adjacent to the "cut" on then-Route 9 (today's 154) and one seen sure looks like Riverside in Deep River, adjacent to the Mt St John access road. Also don't forget the Cedar Hill shot, and you can see "3016" visible underneath the "97" on closeups of the cab in the movie too. Pretty cool seeing those scenes, especially from growing up in the area and working on the VRR.
shadyjay

Postby CVRA7 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

[quote="HighlandRail/DEY-7 652"]Correct me if Im wrong but I believe a NH coach in the RMNE collection was in the movie? One of the copper clads?[/quote]
If anyone knows what copperclad coach was used in the movie, it could be verified. Four cc coaches survive to my knowledge - 2 on the RMNE roster, 1 at the CERM, and 1 at the Steaming Tender Restaurant in Palmer, MA .
CVRA7

Postby H.F.Malone » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 pm

The dull red coach was NOT a copper clad, but one of the old 1916-vintage high-window narrow-letterboard steel Osgood Bradley cars. None are known to survive.

There WAS a story about a certain outside-braced boxcar, tho.....

HFM
now retired in
Cape Anne
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."
H.F.Malone

Postby NellsChoo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm

This may sound stupid, but what is a "copper clad"?
NellsChoo

Postby H.F.Malone » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Not a stupid question....

The NYNH&H had a car superintendent about 1905 who had the idea of wrapping with thin sheet copper, each piece of wood on the outside of a wood coach (sheathing, letterboards, belt rails, etc). This was based on the fact that the old paints wouldn't last more than 3-4 years between repaints, and it was easier to strip the paint from the metal surfaces.

Weird idea, and used only on the NYNH&H (and only on certain cars), but it apparently had some merit, based on how long they lasted. The 1905 copper clads started as wood-underframe, open platform cars and were rebuilt at Readville shops in 1929 for Old Colony commuter service. The bodies were placed on new steel underframes and steel vestibule ends were applied. They ran this way until 1949, when they were replaced by Pullman parlor cars converted to coaches. The copper clads went into work train service all around the NH system, and some lasted until the "preservation era". The car at Palmer is a copper clad that was used on the Bridgeport Wire Train until the late 60s.

Question answered.

HFM
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."
H.F.Malone

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:57 pm

The New Rochelle Wire Train also had one on it for many years. It was finally replaced late in the NHRR era by a converted
parlor coach that had been downgraded to work service. It took quite a long while for the stuff in the old crew car to be
transferred to the new crew car. When the transfer was finally finished and the train was back to its normal 5 cars the
crew car felt like an anchor on the rear end with its weight.
There were crew lockers, two stoves, refrig, heavy radio equipment (the wire train had radio communication with the Cos
Cob Load Dispatcher even in the NHRR era long before anything else had radios), furnishings and all of the other gear that
went on this train.
I could tell some stories about this job too.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby jaymac » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am

As general information, if you haven't already, maybe a good site to add to favorites or bookmarks or whatever might be <imdb> for "Internet Movie Data Base." Look up It Happened to Jane, and you'll find some interesting trivia, like mention of a young Gene Raeburn holding a WTIC (Hartford) microphone during an interview and at least partially blowing up the supposed Maine location or the name of the character played by Ernie Kovacs, which happens to be the same as that of a Saturday afternoon poster to this thread and whose avatar was formerly occupied -- if memory is accuate -- by a semi-century old b&w publicity portrait from the movie of the Kovacs character.
"Watching trains is better than smoking meth."
--Source, location, and time undisclosed.
jaymac

Postby NellsChoo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Ah, so if I tap on the car at Palmer, it will be copper, not wood?? What an idea!

The main reason I decided to watch the movie was because Kovacs was in it. When I was little, I saw a documentary on him, and later managed to tape some of his TV shows off cable. Seeing him in JANE was a laugh! That signature head of dark, think hair was gone! He and Lemmon were in a couple of films together, if I remember correctly... I will have to check the IMD site...

JD
NellsChoo

Postby H.F.Malone » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 pm

I sure don't know why my portrait vanished, and I'm not very happy about it. In fact, I just crushed out a very nice, expensive see-gar when I realized it was gone! May have to get George to file an injunction against RR dot Net.....

Kovacs, Kovacs, who's he? Must be one of the commuters riding in from Westport, one of those "media" types.

HFM
still steaming in
Cape Anne
H.F.Malone

Postby CannaScrews » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 am

H.F.Malone wrote:The dull red coach was NOT a copper clad, but one of the old 1916-vintage high-window narrow-letterboard steel Osgood Bradley cars. None are known to survive.

There WAS a story about a certain outside-braced boxcar, tho.....

HFM
now retired in
Cape Anne

Oh yes - the Eastern and Portland car that is now in Steamtown masquerading as a CNJ wood sheathed boxcar.

I remember that car well.... Maurice
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance -
Baffle 'em with bulls**t...
CannaScrews

Return to New England Railfan