Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby fogg1703 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am

GP40MC1118 wrote:Pretty sure you got the right one - the one with the tug tied up, not the one
nearly across from Gold Medal.

D


Yes Saltine Warrior has approval to use the pier at the end of Shaw St to transload salt, not the former Gas Company pier at Gold Medal.
fogg1703
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm

malbojah wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: And good news that the Falmouth Transfer Station is now officially reopening so the Falmouth Branch will see regular trash train freight again. (Note: here's the complete itemized list of MassDOT-funded FY2017-21 upgrades to Mass Coastal territory alluded to in the article).


Can't wait, hate playing the waiting game at Semass


Just joined today with updates on the Falmouth Secondary line to Otis. While the Board of Managers of the Upper Cape Cod Regional Transfer Station on Otis / Joint Base Cape Cod have selected Cavossa disposal on May 3rd to run it, they are still in negotiations and no final contract has been signed yet. Friends of the Bourne Rail trail continue to press local / State / Federal agencies on there agenda to remove the Rail line for a bike path, even thought they say all possible options are on the table. Signing of the UCCRTS contract will be a important step as it may require the individual Town Boards to approve it which will be highly debated in the Town of Bourne as 2 of the selectmen are representing the views of the bike group. Still all fail to realize the reality that Joint Base Cape Cod is on the military strategic rail network and the line is required to be open and in usable condition per the Department of Defense requirements. And as most know MASSDOT is funding capital improvements to this line as well over the next 5 years and opposes removing the rail line for a bike path. Mass Coastal continues to maintain the line and the scenic railroad has been running scenic and dinner trains to North Falmouth this season so will update as needed. Does anyone know when MASSDOT is going to start there capital improvements on this line ?
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 am

malbojah wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Also there is talk the Saltine Warrior doing road salt (barge to rail/truck)
at a pier they want to use near the Fall River Gas site.


Are they still talking about railing salt from the Gas site to a Cape location?


They were one of the bidders for use of the Falmouth Transfer station, but the contract went to Cavossa for trash hauling. *Thinking out loud*, Cavossa should contract with Saltine to provide them with road salt for their plowing operation


When Cavossa was selected on May 3rd to run the Upper Cape Cod Transfer station on Otis / Joint Base Cape Cod the board of managers rejected Saltine Warrior's proposal, with the assumption that they could privately negotiate with the future operator of the station to use a portion of the property for road salt storage as a subsidiary use. Still no final contract with Cavossa has been signed yet so Saltine's use of the site is still just a future possibility at this point in time.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Tom Lapointe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

SOCO11 wrote: At the same time there is a new round of brush clearing and surveying from the end of the rebuilt track to the past the bottom of Kennedy Park- maybe heading to Gold Medal?


SOCO11' s earlier post prompted me to check out that area one day after I got home from work last week. I had looked over that same area from the overpass at the bottom of Kennedy Park (Club St.) last sometime last fall / winter time frame; back then the track was barely visible directly near the overpass, invisible in foliage both north & south of the overpass. This time, it was VERY obvious that brush-clearing equipment had been down the ROW; a pair of heavy equipment tire tracks paralleled the rails (which were now visible back all the way to the condos that now occupy the former Bay St. yard location). Since I had a bit of time that day, I drove over to a former grade crossing (at the bottom of Middle St.) just south of the Kennedy Park overpass (adjacent to a small baseball field), parked there & explored the ROW on foot southward until I reached a short bridge over Shaw St. (which I previously wasn't even aware existed). The bridge was solid rust externally but otherwise looked sound; but I did not trust the ties to walk over (I have a bad right knee from a freak accident years ago), plus there a was some rather thick foliage on the far side of the bridge. Between where I parked on Middle St. & the Shaw St. bridge, some of the rails had been disconnected & a few were lying on their sides; it also appeared as though there was once a runaround / passing track there, as there were 2 sets of rails that converged at a former switch location just north of the Shaw St. bridge. The switch frog was missing, & only one point rail remained. Interestingly, I noticed several of the rails had splashes of VERY FRESH bright green spray paint at their ends (I'm assuming that's a way of designating them as "reusable"?). Ties were largely non-existent or very badly deteriorated.

Turning around, I then walked back north of the Middle St. crossing to check out the track going back through the former Bay St. yard area. noticed the roadbed appeared to have been deliberately dug out (not washed out; maybe exploratory digging checking the condition of the underlying roadbed?) from under the rails in a couple of spots, one being directly adjacent to the Middle St. crossing. Found the switch for the northern end of that passing / runaround track, largely intact. Rails here were all joined & upright, most appeared to be in relatively good shape. Noticed a disconnected single siding which disappeared into the underbrush just south of the Kennedy Park / Club St. overpass; couldn't tell if it dead-ended there or went further. Also came a across a homeless encampment (a tent!) between the switch end of that siding & the overpass which I was VERY careful not to disturb (looked as though it was occupied). Continued beneath the overpass & walked the full length of the former yard area; lots of trash & broken-up ties off to the side towards Bay St. Walked under the Almond St. overpass near where the roundhouse used to be; I recalled watching New Haven RS-3's switching cars from that overpass as a child. :) Walked right up to the end of the old track to the newly-laid runaround track switch at the bottom of Columbia St (the contrast was striking!). Next to the end of the old track was a neatly-stacked pile of old (presumably reusable) rail.

Walking through the former yard, I also recalled an amusing story told to me by a late friend of mine (Frank Dubiel). Frank was a few years older than me & had explored the yard some when it was still active; he came across the steam-era water crane near the roundhouse & turntable location (both were long-gone when I watched the RS-3's switching as kid). There was a large valve wheel at the base of the water crane, & just for "giggles" he spun it - & got a RUDE surprise when he was DELUGED from the water crane! :-D - It was still LIVE at the time!

;) Tom Lapointe
Tom Lapointe
Tom Lapointe
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:14 am
Location: Fall River

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby SOCO11 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Mass Coastal has some updated pictures of the Fall River wharf yard on their Facebook page. You can see everything from the museum except for the RDC is moved to one of the center tracks. https://www.facebook.com/MCRRMOW/photos/pcb.1396958870422566/1396958720422581/?type=3&theater
SOCO11
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:50 am

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
malbojah wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Also there is talk the Saltine Warrior doing road salt (barge to rail/truck)
at a pier they want to use near the Fall River Gas site.


Are they still talking about railing salt from the Gas site to a Cape location?


They were one of the bidders for use of the Falmouth Transfer station, but the contract went to Cavossa for trash hauling. *Thinking out loud*, Cavossa should contract with Saltine to provide them with road salt for their plowing operation


When Cavossa was selected on May 3rd to run the Upper Cape Cod Transfer station on Otis / Joint Base Cape Cod the board of managers rejected Saltine Warrior's proposal, with the assumption that they could privately negotiate with the future operator of the station to use a portion of the property for road salt storage as a subsidiary use. Still no final contract with Cavossa has been signed yet so Saltine's use of the site is still just a future possibility at this point in time.



Update today 7/29/17 on the Otis / Joint Base Cape Cod transfer station. This coming Wednesday 8/2/17 the Transfer Station Board of Managers will be having a public meeting 10:15 am at the Mashpee Town Hall / Waquoit meeting room regarding the negotiations with Cavossa disposal, who they selected to be the operator. Also it will be a comment period for people to voice there opinions about the reactivation / reuse of the station and the Otis Rail spur to which it is connected to. Friends of the Bourne Rail trail group will surely be there to try to halt the use of the Rail line to the station for there agenda of removing the Rail line for a bike path. Anyone who is in support of the Falmouth Secondary to Otis rail line, along with the reactivation / reuse of the Otis transfer station here is an opportunity to attend and voice your opinion ! The Rail line is an important asset for the Upper Cape region and needs to remain in operation for present and future freight / passenger transportation purpose's.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby malbojah » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.
malbojah
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:29 pm

malbojah wrote:Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.


Sent email to UCRTS Board of Managers to see if they were taking online comments also about the transfer station reactivation / reuse for those that could not attend meeting. Will post info if I get a reply from them.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
malbojah wrote:Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.


Sent email to UCRTS Board of Managers to see if they were taking online comments also about the transfer station reactivation / reuse for those that could not attend meeting. Will post info if I get a reply from them.


Update 8/1/17 Comments on the reuse / reactivation of the UCRTS Transfer station can be sent to Catherine Laurent who is the Chairman of the UCRTS Board of Managers. Email comments to claurent@mashpeema.gov which will be included in the public meeting minutes discussion of the UCRTS reactivation tomorrow.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
malbojah wrote:Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.


Sent email to UCRTS Board of Managers to see if they were taking online comments also about the transfer station reactivation / reuse for those that could not attend meeting. Will post info if I get a reply from them.


Update 8/1/17 Comments on the reuse / reactivation of the UCRTS Transfer station can be sent to Catherine Laurent who is the Chairman of the UCRTS Board of Managers. Email comments to claurent@mashpeema.gov which will be included in the public meeting minutes discussion of the UCRTS reactivation tomorrow.


Update 8/2/17 A final agreed upon contract with Cavossa Disposal was presented today at the public meeting. A final vote will be held next Wednesday August 9th 10:00 am at Mashpee Town Hall in the Waquoit meeting room. Anyone who supports the reopening of the UCRTS facility and the use of the Falmouth Secondary Rail line to service it, show up at the meeting to voice your support! Also you can send in comments by referring to the previous post info.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Cape Cod Central Dinner train scheduled to depart from North Falmouth next Friday 8/11/17 at 6:00 PM for a run on the Falmouth Secondary line to the Cape main line. Good opportunity to catch the train to see / photograph !
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am

SOCO11 wrote:Mass Coastal has some updated pictures of the Fall River wharf yard on their Facebook page. You can see everything from the museum except for the RDC is moved to one of the center tracks. https://www.facebook.com/MCRRMOW/photos/pcb.1396958870422566/1396958720422581/?type=3&theater

I noticed the pier shed in the background says "Fall River Line" on it. Is that something put up for museum purposes, or is this the actual wharf and trackage that was used by the Fall River Boat Train in New Haven/Old Colony days?
Ridgefielder
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Harlem Division MP 15

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 am

8/10/2017 Cape Cod Times article titled " Rail to trail biking connector faces long odds " Mass Coastal Christopher Podgurski quoted as saying that the Otis rail spur has some overgrowth and is scheduled to be inspected this week and repaired. Also U.S Army Col. Patrick Keefe wrote in a letter to Chalita Belfield Director of the MassDOT Rail division that the military plans to maintain and improve rail operations to Otis / Camp Edwards. Looks like some ROW work coming up for Mass Coastal !
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby Falmouth Secondary to Otis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
malbojah wrote:Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.


Sent email to UCRTS Board of Managers to see if they were taking online comments also about the transfer station reactivation / reuse for those that could not attend meeting. Will post info if I get a reply from them.


Update 8/1/17 Comments on the reuse / reactivation of the UCRTS Transfer station can be sent to Catherine Laurent who is the Chairman of the UCRTS Board of Managers. Email comments to claurent@mashpeema.gov which will be included in the public meeting minutes discussion of the UCRTS reactivation tomorrow.


Update 8/2/17 A final agreed upon contract with Cavossa Disposal was presented today at the public meeting. A final vote will be held next Wednesday August 9th 10:00 am at Mashpee Town Hall in the Waquoit meeting room. Anyone who supports the reopening of the UCRTS facility and the use of the Falmouth Secondary Rail line to service it, show up at the meeting to voice your support! Also you can send in comments by referring to the previous post info.


Update 8/10/17 yesterdays meeting was rescheduled for unknown reason to Monday 8/21/17 at 10:30 am to vote on the final contract with Cavossa Disposal to lease the UCRTS facility to ship waste off Cape by rail.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Re: Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

Postby malbojah » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:
malbojah wrote:Figures it would be early in the day. 10:15, I should be finishing up in Falmouth (or Hyannis, depends on which way I run my route) heading to Semass.


Sent email to UCRTS Board of Managers to see if they were taking online comments also about the transfer station reactivation / reuse for those that could not attend meeting. Will post info if I get a reply from them.


Update 8/1/17 Comments on the reuse / reactivation of the UCRTS Transfer station can be sent to Catherine Laurent who is the Chairman of the UCRTS Board of Managers. Email comments to claurent@mashpeema.gov which will be included in the public meeting minutes discussion of the UCRTS reactivation tomorrow.


Update 8/2/17 A final agreed upon contract with Cavossa Disposal was presented today at the public meeting. A final vote will be held next Wednesday August 9th 10:00 am at Mashpee Town Hall in the Waquoit meeting room. Anyone who supports the reopening of the UCRTS facility and the use of the Falmouth Secondary Rail line to service it, show up at the meeting to voice your support! Also you can send in comments by referring to the previous post info.


Update 8/10/17 yesterdays meeting was rescheduled for unknown reason to Monday 8/21/17 at 10:30 am to vote on the final contract with Cavossa Disposal to lease the UCRTS facility to ship waste off Cape by rail.


From what I've heard, it's going to be mostly C&D being shipped by rail and not MSW. Sucks for me (I'm on the MSW truck riggt now)
malbojah
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests