Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

Postby johnpbarlow » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:47 am

MEC407 wrote:Another fine video by skyman2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4bU2Z_9swQ

Interesting video! One of the train consists included a CMQ box car plus a bunch of empty 89' flat cars - any idea what commodity was delivered by these flats?
johnpbarlow

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:03 pm

YamaOfParadise wrote:Figured I would ask here about this: were the MCER's track(s) that run adjacent to NECR's line in Palmer originally part of CV's mainline, or was it always a separately owned line on a shared right-of-way?

Always two separate railroads, with the current Mass Central line previously being a Boston & Albany/New York Central/Penn Central branch that happened to parallel the CV on the way out of town.
TomNelligan

Postby whatelyrailfan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:43 pm

I saw my very first Mass Central train today, in the Bondsville section of Palmer while stopped at the Church Street crossing. The two bluebirds were power, with a pretty good-sized consist of at least 15 covered hoppers on the head pin, and a number of large flatcars carrying lengths of pipe (LARGE pipes). Just wish I had my Nikon with me! He was headed out of Palmer going east? north?, what customers do they serve?
Peace,
Jonathan
whatelyrailfan

Postby Safetee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm

mass central trains go north from palmer.
not a lot of on line customers. mostly transloading at forest lake, ware, and barre plains.

the pipe is probably headed for the barre plains wildwood reload facility. covered hoppers are salt or plastic pellets.
Safetee

Previous

Return to New England Railfan