Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway (WW&F) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Official Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Thread (WWF)

Postby MEC407 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Dick H wrote:Thanks to GOK for the great detailed reports on his trips on the WW&F
and the Maine Eastern. Job well done...

Hear, hear!
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby gokeefe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 pm

MEC407 wrote:
Dick H wrote:Thanks to GOK for the great detailed reports on his trips on the WW&F
and the Maine Eastern. Job well done...

Hear, hear!

You are most welcome!

Hopefully this will encourage greater and more frequent discussion of the WW&F on railroad.net. We don't hear enough from them!
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby MEC407 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I became a member of the museum a few months ago (at the recommendation of a RAILROAD.NET member) but haven't been up to visit yet. For those of you who have been there a few times, do you have a recommendation for the best day / best time / best month to visit?
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Re: Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway (WW&F) Discus

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I would say anytime as I don't think that any particular day of the week is going to bring on a crush load. You might want to ascertain if any groups are planning a visit on any particular day however. A busload or two might change things.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby ThinkNarrow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 pm

The WW&F Railway Museum is open Saturdays year-round, and on Sundays during the prime tourist season - June through September. Steam is run most weekends during the prime tourist season subject to crew availability. Please see the "Visit Us" section of the website (http://www.wwfry.org) for more details. :-)
ThinkNarrow

Postby Mikejf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 am

Steam or diesel, same price. Come again Mr. G, ride behind the 10 and ride the railcar. Should be all on schedule now.

Mike
Mikejf

Postby steveh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

From this year's Annual Picnic, 2 weekends ago... No 10, WW&F boxcar 309 and coach 3 approach Alna Center station during an early evening photo freight.
In the foreground: handcar No 2, and the museum's 1922 Ford-powered reproduction railcar.

Stephen

Last edited by steveh on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveh

Postby jcpatten » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 am

This Saturday afternoon (August 25) the WW&F will be having an ice-cream social. The ice cream will be served at our Alna Center location. The 1, 2, and 3 PM trains will terminate at Alna Center (rather than go all the way to the end of the line) and allow people to get ice cream, and listen to a local musician. Because the siding at Alna Center will be occupied by our ice cream serving cars, the train will be pulled one way be steam and the other way by diesel.

As to "crushing loads" - the only time we ever really have heavy loads is our Annual Picnic (which we've already had) with occasional loads mid-summer. Come up and check us out any Saturday or Sunday.
jcpatten

Postby elecuyer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm

gokeefe wrote:
elecuyer wrote:Due to a wedding of one of our volunteers, we were unable to steam up #10 this past weekend. (Everyone was at the wedding.) As far as I know, it will run on the rest of the published dates on our web site (including this weekend.)

Thanks also for the explanation. I had actually waited intentionally for steam as indicated on the calendar and when they were running the diesel I was a little bit surprised. In the end it was no big deal and we had a great time.

Sorry about that. It was hoped that we would have the crew needed for steam, even with the wedding. But it did not come to pass. (Thus the "motive power" disclaimer.)

gokeefe wrote:Hopefully this will encourage greater and more frequent discussion of the WW&F on railroad.net. We don't hear enough from them!

For up-to-date information and discussion, we have a very popular forum of our own: http://forum.wwfry.org. However, a number of us also read and post on RR.net (as well as other popular rail-related forums.)

MEC407 wrote:For those of you who have been there a few times, do you have a recommendation for the best day / best time / best month to visit?

The closest thing we have to a "Railfan weekend" is the Annual picnic (usually the second weekend in August.) If you are bringing a family, our Easter Eggspress (3/30/13), Fall Festival (9/29/12), and Victorian Christmas (12/22/12) events are very good choices. The Ice Cream Social this weekend (8/25/12) is a new addition to our line up. With the execption of the Victorian Christmas, you will never find "crushing loads" at the WW&F.

However, to see the WW&F at its BEST, come and visit during the fall or spring work weekends. (Next one is Oct 5-8, 2012.) While we may not be giving "tour of the line" trips due to track work, you will be invited and encouraged to witness what we are up to and even participate in the fun. Steam will almost certainly be running for most (if not all) days. Even better, come and volunteer for one or more of the days - just bring work gloves and boots and we'll put you to work. All ages and abilities are welcome, although younger volunteers must be under their parent's close supervision. Food (and sometimes live musical entertainment) is provided.

3rdrail wrote:Unfortunately, when we were there, either the shops weren't available for touring or we just didn't know that we could enter, so that's a thing that could be looked forward to doing.

Since your trip, we now offer a small pamphlet to all visitors that gives some history, and explains that the shops and yard are available for inspection by able-bodied individuals. We're also happy to answer questions and give impromptu "tours" to interested individuals.

[Edited for grammmar, added another response]
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby CVRA7 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

3rdrail wrote:is there an abandoned right of way anywhere in the area which you are aware of which clearly shows evidence as having been a trolley or railroad right of way and would be accesible by 4 x 4 vehicle ? Thanks again.

Regarding r-o-w exploring by 4WD, I have been over a section of SR&RL right of way near Madrid in a 4WD Chevy P/U and over several miles of the B&H in a 4WD Dodge Dakota, near Sandy Creek. Also parts of the Monson RR are drivable. I would think that your L/R would have no problems on these stretches if they remained in the conditions I saw several years ago.
Also check detailed local maps for roads named like "Narrow Gauge Lane" - I know that some of these exist on the B&H and those are usually access roads to camps etc that even 2WD cars can use.
As for the WW&F, there are a number of portions that are marked snowmobile trails. Not sure about 4WD access.
CVRA7

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks CVRA7. Always looking for new trails.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby steamchaser » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Do they run steam in the fall? If I read there schedule right it only looks like summer for steam. I`m going to be in New England in October and I`ve been wanting to get there. If not then do they run steam for the Victorian Christmas? I`ll be back agian then.
steamchaser

Postby Mikejf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:10 pm

They are JUST snowmobile trails on the WW&F ROW. The bridges are not big enough/strong enough for anything larger.

Mike
Mikejf

Postby gokeefe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 pm

miketrainnut wrote:They are JUST snowmobile trails on the WW&F ROW. The bridges are not big enough/strong enough for anything larger.

Mike

Bridges?

Are these W&Q/WW&F remnants or were they put in place by the trail clubs?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby elecuyer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 pm

steamchaser wrote:Do they run steam in the fall? If I read there schedule right it only looks like summer for steam. I`m going to be in New England in October and I`ve been wanting to get there. If not then do they run steam for the Victorian Christmas? I`ll be back agian then.

Steam should be running:
9/29 (Fall Festival)
10/6 & 10/7 (Work Weekend)
12/22 (Victorian Christmas)

Unless something comes up that I don't know about, that should do it for WW&F Steam in 2012.
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan