New England State Rail Maps

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503


Historical Maps

Postby sullboat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:51 pm

I thought folks might like to see some historical maps, for comparison:

Maine, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/Maine_1895.jpg

New Hampshire, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/nh_1895.jpg

Vermont, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/vt_1895.jpg
Grand Trunk in New England
http://www.sullboat.com/GT.htm
Rockland Branch of the Maine Central
http://www.sullboat.com/rockland.htm
sullboat
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Postby shadyjay » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:13 am

While not from the 50s-70s, here's a B&M map from 1916 on the Pan-Am website....
http://www.guilfordrail.com/Maps/mapindex.htm
User avatar
shadyjay
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Warren, VT

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby dbperry » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:32 pm

I have no connection to this publication, so I don't think it is inappropriate to recommend it:

SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas - New England & Maritime Canada

http://www.spv.co.uk/acatalog/USA_Railroads.html

I love my copy - handy format for taking on the road.

Dave
User avatar
dbperry
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Suburbs of Boston

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby NHN503 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 am

Assorted Misc maps from Atlantic Northeast;
http://www.atlanticnortheast.com/regn/map/maps.shtml
User avatar
NHN503
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:31 pm

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby openlens » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I've been looking at the track diagrams / mp in timetables. Very handy. Does VRS have an timetables? Haven't seen any mention of them.
openlens
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:04 am

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby chapel » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 am

does anyone have a copy of the Massachusetts ones? I wanted to see how the Peabody line used to look
User avatar
chapel
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Official Massachusetts Railroad Maps

Postby pumpers » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

The Massachusetts map link in the first post above is dead. I was able to find this - 4 maps - passenger, freight, with ownership and operation in each case. You have to zoom in a lot. From Mass DoT.
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/17/Images/DataMaps/mm/MassPassengerFreightRail.pdf
JS
pumpers
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Re: Historical Maps

Postby StewartP » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:34 am

sullboat wrote:I thought folks might like to see some historical maps, for comparison:

Maine, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/Maine_1895.jpg

New Hampshire, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/nh_1895.jpg

Vermont, 1895: http://www.sullboat.com/vt_1895.jpg


Cool - love to compare the historical maps to present day.
I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.--Susan Sontag
Reference site for travel maps: Las Vegas Maps
StewartP
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:35 am

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 pm



This domain has expired; should probably be replaced with this PDF, courtesy of pumpers's post: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... htRail.pdf
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3587
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

GIS and Google Earth Resources

Postby jlaliberte » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts have online GIS rail data that can be loaded into Google Earth as KML files, making exploration quite a bit easier than with the black lines of the default railroad layer which cannot be changed. The data itself seems to have varying levels of completeness or accuracy, CT has quite a bit omitted, Maine seems to have more.

Maine Down towards the bottom under "Transportation Networks".

Connecticut. Towards the bottom, there are a couple different KML files to choose from.

The Massachusetts Google Earth format data is available through its OLIVER GIS viewer. The viewer itself is rather slow and clunky. In order to download a rail KML, select and activate the "Railroads by Type of Service" layer under Infrastructure > Trains > Railroads folder at the right. Then hit the "Launch the Data Export Wizard" button on the top toolbar. At step four select Google Earth under the "Vector data output options" and give the file a name. Complicated but I think its worth it.

Load the files in GE, then right click them under Places, go to properties, and change the color settings to something more visible. For some reason doing that to the Mass. data causes pin icons and labels to show up, so I set their size as 0 to get rid of them.
jlaliberte
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Easthampton, MA

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby MaineCoonCat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 pm

jlaliberte wrote:Then hit the "Launch the Data Export Wizard" button on the top toolbar.

If you don't see this button, you need to hide the "Available Data Layers" pane by clicking on the >> in
the upper right corner.
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
User avatar
MaineCoonCat
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby MaineCoonCat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 pm

jlaliberte wrote:The Massachusetts Google Earth format data is available through its OLIVER GIS viewer. The viewer itself is rather slow and clunky. In order to download a rail KML, select and activate the "Railroads by Type of Service" layer under Infrastructure > Trains > Railroads folder at the right. Then hit the "Launch the Data Export Wizard" button on the top toolbar. At step four select Google Earth under the "Vector data output options" and give the file a name. Complicated but I think its worth it.

Looking at the viewer, and in Google Earth, is that a segment of the Milford & Uxbridge street railway line shown running southwesterly off the G & U just northwest of the Bancroft Park grade crossing in Hopedale?
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
User avatar
MaineCoonCat
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm

papabarn wrote:
jlaliberte wrote:The Massachusetts Google Earth format data is available through its OLIVER GIS viewer. The viewer itself is rather slow and clunky. In order to download a rail KML, select and activate the "Railroads by Type of Service" layer under Infrastructure > Trains > Railroads folder at the right. Then hit the "Launch the Data Export Wizard" button on the top toolbar. At step four select Google Earth under the "Vector data output options" and give the file a name. Complicated but I think its worth it.

Looking at the viewer, and in Google Earth, is that a segment of the Milford & Uxbridge street railway line shown running southwesterly off the G & U just northwest of the Bancroft Park grade crossing in Hopedale?


Yeah, there's lots of kooky old things showing up on that map...like the old trolley interurban in Becket, Otis, and Blandford. Or the old Fitchburg RR roadbed in Royalston. And incorrect ownership on some things like abandoned lines and the blotches of CSX red still existing on the South Coast lines.

Map really needs some cleanup. I'm a little disappointed that the 2012 update (http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... tewide.pdf) still has a lot of the same errors as the 2007 version.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7113
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: New England State Rail Maps

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Another version of the CT rail map: http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... s11x17.pdf
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7404
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am
Location: MP 67.2 Georgia Southern Railway

Next

Return to New England Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ericofmaine, Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests