Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

Postby Dick H » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

The gravel train usually runs Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Of course, with all railroading, everything is subject to change.
Dick H

Postby NRGeep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Dick H wrote:The gravel train usually runs Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Of course, with all railroading, everything is subject to change.

Thanks Mr H. Trying to make an audio recording of it.
NRGeep

Postby l008com » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:20 am

I always miss the action. According to an NERail pic I just saw, I guess very recently, a box car derailed into the street at the cement place in south wilmington. And apparently they were delivering during the day. And looks like they finally repaved that street! About time!

Link: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=1
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby l008com » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 am

Hey remember this old thread. Why start a new one when I can just bring this one back to life!

So there have been a few gondolas parked just north of Anderson station for a few weeks now. Are these parked there for any particular reason?

Also, I was in Wilmington last night, right near a crossing on the Haverhill line (not the Lowell line). I see a light shining around the corner, I hang out, and it turns out to be a train. Imagine my surprise when it turns out to be a freight train. A few tankers, a bunch of hoppers, i think one flat bed. Anyone know what this train was? And why it was on the Haverhill line instead of the Lowell line? Also, one more thing about it, it was FLYING. Like faster than I ever see freight move on the Lowell line. It was cruising, and because of that, it was very loud. It was fairly far away and you could still very loudly hear it thundering away.

All in all, besides one flat tire, it was a pretty interesting night.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby newpylong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 am

Gondolas most likely MOW tie cars on the Anderson 4th iron stub.

The LA locals can run via the Lowell or Haverhill line. They are qualified on each.

40 MPH freight on both lines.
newpylong

Postby GP40MC1118 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:13 am

That was LA-2 with MEC 506 last night from Somerville. The flatcar was one of the
idler flats involved with the last MBTA Rotem coach delivery, the tank cars from MS
Walker in Somerville (LA-4 switched them yesterday), five empty hoppers from Everett
(scrap).

DOBO was around too, followed 226 from Haverhill last night.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby l008com » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:34 am

The spotting happened at Kilmarnock St in Wilmington, which is a really cool spot i've been trying to see a train at for years now really. It's such a small dead end street, it's such an odd place to see a train go by. It was a great way to break the ice :)
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Finch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:16 pm

I caught a few commuter rail trains on Kilmarnock street several years ago, I agree it's a nice spot. But those run on a schedule, so it was not a difficult task. :-)
Finch

Postby l008com » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 am

So tonight I came across an idling freight train by the old/new Montvale yard, right near Cross St in Winchester. I scoped it out for about 20 minutes, after which, it just drove away. Not sure why it was just hanging around?
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby GP40MC1118 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:40 pm

They switch Tighe Warehouse here. They probably were waiting for DOBO to go around
them into Boston.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby l008com » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:02 am

That's the thing though, nothing went by the whole time I was waiting. The train was a little far back on the track to have been switching but I don't fully know the logistics of a how deliveries are made so it could have just finished up. And for all I know, they could have been taking a lunch break. It did seem weird though, to just have it hanging out for so long. But I love that there is SOME kind of activity back in that area. Even if it is relatively light.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby GP40MC1118 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 pm

They actually switch Tighe Warehouse at Montvale several times a week.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby Trinnau » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Sounds like they were probably on their airbrake test. That's the only reason the train would likely be sitting that long at that location. The crews are well aware of the local complaints and won't hang out in the area an more than they need to.
Trinnau

Postby mulfreak » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Been a while but I'm back. I can only report what I see and hear along the Wigginville line and from the Lowell Depot when I am at work. Don't need no drama nor here say or controversy concerning any railroad employees or the lines they work for. I wish them all long and good careers. The MEC caboose that passed thru Lowell last September I did see and get pictures of in St. Mary's Ga. in June. There is a red one also there. They are not part of the St. Mary's railroad per say but they run excursion trains from St Mary's to Folkston? I believe occasionally. I talked to some folks that said it was a great time and would recommend it highly. I also stopped in to the offices of the St. Mary's railroad to say hello. Today 5 Pam-Am with 2 NS engines headed west. Not all under power and cleared the Meadowcroft St. crossing. Last Sunday I witnessed two Acela engines pulling about 30 or so old Pullmans and the like headed east towards Lawrence in Wiggenville. All the cars looked like they had been restored. Some had different rail lines on them i.e. Southern Pacific Union Pacific,and some were the gondola cars. I was able to see two conductors standing in full uniform standing in the vestibules looking very smart. Does anyone know anything about this train? I just caught it from my bedroom window so did not get a real good look at it nor any pictures.
mulfreak

Postby JBConn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 am

Everything you want to know about the passenger special.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=156900
JBConn

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan