Final Customers - Boston Area

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Final Customers - Boston Area

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Jedijk88 wrote:what was the PC /Conrail spur that paralleled the Mass pike starting at the Allston tolls and headed west ? ( opposite side of the pike compared to the B&A mainline)

That industrial track also used to have a spur off of it that went all the way to what is today the Star Market site. I'm not sure just how far it went, but I don't think it crossed Western Ave.

It ran in this alley: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3594267 ... bfov%3D100
BostonUrbEx

Postby B&M 1227 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:22 pm

F Line, we're thinking of 2 different spurs. The one I remember came off the Houghton Spur on the northside of the I-90 Overpass and tightly paralleled I-90's westbound lane.
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby CRail » Mon May 22, 2017 4:34 am

I've noticed the extra span in every bridge that crosses the Pike in that area and always wondered if anything ever ran under them or if it was just a provision. This answers what I've always thought!
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 am

Based on the grading, location of curb cuts, and building shapes, it looks to me like that spur extended west to at least Antwerp St, with a spur extending across Lincoln St and up the alley behind Public Storage. A couple of the buildings back there look like they used to have rail service. Then possibly crossing Holton St to end where Star Market is now.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby B&M 1227 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

What was the lumber company located at west cambridge? They were getting cars until 2004/2005ish? I believe this was the last customer at the west cambridge yard? is this the same company now in billerica?
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby MickD » Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm

How about into East Boston on The Grand Junction ??
Was out there exploring the rail trail and waterfront
for the first time last summer...
MickD

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed May 24, 2017 4:12 am

I suspect the last customer in Eastie was Sunoco, but I don't know.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Sir Ray » Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:Based on the grading, location of curb cuts, and building shapes, it looks to me like that spur extended west to at least Antwerp St, with a spur extending across Lincoln St and up the alley behind Public Storage. A couple of the buildings back there look like they used to have rail service. Then possibly crossing Holton St to end where Star Market is now.

Following up on F-Line's use of Historic Aerials for the area (Can we only tweet links now? Couldn't find the direct link option), the spur going across Lincoln crossed about where the first house on Lincoln west of the Public storage building is. Siding net to the Turnpike may have made it as far west as Litchfield St.

The spur heading north from that point did indeed follow that alley to the east of Public storage north, crossing Holton St. into the future site of Star Markets. There then was a switchback off of it which then headed back south across Holton St. into what would be the future site of AVFX (?), maybe a loading dock along the West side of whatever building was there then.

In addition, the large building between that alley and Everett St (which seems to be undergoing restoration of some sort in Street View) had it's own siding coming across Lincoln.

This is from the 1978 topos. The aerial views are not great, but they do confirm the routings
Sir Ray

Postby Teamdriver » Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm

There was a Schlitz warehouse on Everett by Holton street thaty used to get cars I believe.
Teamdriver

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Another one for the books.

Guilford/Pan Am | Wilmington | Woburn Loop | Lehigh Cement | 2016

The last delivery was yesteryear, but the empties were finally collected last week on Friday, 5/19. The Woburn Jct switch was officially spiked OOS today, Thursday, 5/25.

At a half mile long, there was not much left of the Woburn Loop, but we've lost another branch line today. The only hope for the branch coming back is the transload proposed for the former Olin site.

As a side-note, the Woburn Public Delivery switch (just south of the Salem St OHB in Woburn) had its frog removed yesterday, Wednesday, 5/24.
BostonUrbEx

Postby B&M 1227 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:02 pm

did lehigh close altogether or were they just tired of being given the finger at the christmas party for the last 34 years?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 pm

They're outright done and the business is folded up. The trackmobile is still on site, but everything else has been vacated. Too much competition from Ciment Quebec, I suspect, not sure what other [non-rail] players there are in this region.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Hux » Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Drove by Thursday and was surprised to see the gate locked and the facility vacant. With the amount of building going on these days it is amazing they weren't able to stay afloat. Wonder if Ciment Quebec or another player might take over at some point in the future.
Hux

Postby newpylong » Mon May 29, 2017 7:16 am

Wow that is a shame. They were one of the longest standing B&M customers. Those CP hoppers went back years.
newpylong

Postby NYNE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:48 pm

I took a trip over to Mary O'Malley State Park in Chelsea last week and saw a strange, old Alco switching the cement plant.
I cannot get the photo to post, so here is the link to my blog post: https://twentystates.blogspot.com/2017/ ... erett.html

The Internet tells me it was built in 1960 and was recently working in Kentucky. I don't anything more about it. I was hoping someone here might? Thanks.
NYNE

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan