Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter R

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 pm

BandA wrote:CSX shouldn't be involved at Worcester -- the tracks are separate, the platforms are separate, and I assume there would be no reason for BSRR to use CSX track.

Correct. The Lowell reverse, on the other hand, couldn't possibly be staged in a worse spot having to engage two different dispatchers at Bleachery to haggle slots. So their numbers, which long ago stopped passing the laugh test when they engaged the Worcester Branch, now require tri-party agreements just for access in and out of one station. Quad-party when you throw in LRTA fees for use of the building and its over-capacity garage. This is not exactly simplifying things from a PRV-WON initial scheme that was apparently a bridge too far.

And all of this STILL doesn't matter because they've made bupkis progress getting trackage rights with P&W squared ever since G&W took over. There's no Worcester-anything if they aren't allowed to occupy the Gardner Branch at all between Worcester Union and Barbers Jct.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MaineCoonCat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:21 pm

MaineCoonCat wrote:
UPDATE: I actually finally did get a "password reset" e-mail last night around 11:20 pm. I can now log in to the forum.. Posts over there by MissiKitty are mine (unless they get hacked!)..

I hereby rescind my "Lots'a luck" statement.

Okay, i can't take it anymore.. I'm starting to ask questions in their "forum".. Look out, she's goin' in!
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: excessive quoting
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Hopefully you didn't land in a nest of yellowjackets or any other kind of hornets in there,after you dive into their forum.
Backshophoss

Postby MaineCoonCat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 am

I am getting some informative and rapid responses! Looks so far like they'r not averse to sharing some info with rail enthusiasts.. Posts by Missikitty are mine.. http://www.bsrc.com/forums/
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary quoting
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby BandA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 am

9 Comet IIs + 3 F59PH. And still negotiating PTC requirements with G&W.

But no RDCs. I can't remember ever seeing a self-propelled RDC in operation, that would have been fun. Guess I'll have to ride the BSRR or CSRX.

It's good for them to put out some information so that we know there is some movement!
BandA

Postby BandA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 am

Lowell. If the garage is over capacity already, they should make it bigger / add additional garage. Certainly the revenue would covers the cost? [/sarcasm]. Not BSRR's problem to look for parking. Plus, riders from NH would get on in Nashua or Bedford, reducing the number parking in Lowell. And lets face it, how many people are going to commute from Lowell to Worcester? That segment is going to struggle I think.

I have no idea about Lowell track layout.
BandA

Postby ts.puruz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Came into the office today to find parking lot full of white vans with Genesee and Wyoming logos on them and the conference room full of suits meeting with the BSRC guys.

I guess most left right away but a few stayed for a bit - hour or so.

The cool part is that I guess they arrived on this :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGm5jP4seLiftdwy1

Which I caught departing!

Nobody will tell me anything though.
ts.puruz

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:47 pm

BandA wrote:Lowell. If the garage is over capacity already, they should make it bigger / add additional garage. Certainly the revenue would covers the cost? [/sarcasm]. Not BSRR's problem to look for parking.

They want to use LRTA's station and garage, but it's taxpayer-funded LRTA's problem to roll out the red carpet for a bigger garage so the private interloper can have nice things??? In whose bizarro-world is that funding argument going to fly? Don't be dense and passive-aggressive; you know full well that's not how the real world works and that this isn't a reasonable request. Least of all for an outfit flying under the "No Public Subsidy" banner.

Plus, riders from NH would get on in Nashua or Bedford, reducing the number parking in Lowell.

This would be true if it were a linear extension of the Lowell Line for contiguous BOSTON-Nashua service. But it's not. It's Worcester-Lowell-Manchester on an overchurning corridor, not 'burbs-to-hub. Lowell is going to be the second-largest origin of trips on this corridor.

I have no idea about Lowell track layout.

Lowell Station sits in the middle of Bleachery. They mix with freight traffic coming from the west, MBTA traffic coming from the east, and it's a dispatcher handoff point between MBTA and PAR. Punch it up on Google and see what a mass of tracks and switches it is. It is one of the near-messiest places on the whole system to chew up a reverse move.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Ridgefielder » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm

ts.puruz wrote:Came into the office today to find parking lot full of white vans with Genesee and Wyoming logos on them and the conference room full of suits meeting with the BSRC guys.

I guess most left right away but a few stayed for a bit - hour or so.

The cool part is that I guess they arrived on this :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGm5jP4seLiftdwy1

Which I caught departing!

Nobody will tell me anything though.

Well it sounds like something is happening. G&W executives aren't going to truck up to Woonsocket to chase a will-o-the-wisp.
Ridgefielder

Previous

Return to New England Railfan