Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter R

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 am

OT: Let's face it: double track CTC is whats needed between Worcester and Springfield. So why are bother even to study the route? The study money could be spent on advancing the project. But nope: we need to be told by consultants what to do.
Rockingham Racer

Postby GP40MC1118 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 am

All you need is double track, the CTC is already in place. However, one fly in the ointment is that CSX/EB&S
uses one of the mainlines between Spencer and E. Brookfield for building/breaking up of the auto rack train.
Triple track?!

D
GP40MC1118

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Whatever it takes in terms of trackage at E. Brookfield.
Rockingham Racer

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:Whatever it takes in terms of trackage at E. Brookfield.

How far west on the B&A did quad track territory stretch back in the day?
Ridgefielder

Postby nomis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Quad trackage existed westward to just east of Framingham, in the vicinity of the east end of today's CP-21.

Images courtsey http://www.zekedev.com/sites/boston_line/trackchart.cfm
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby BandA » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Worcester-Springfield is not a BSRR proposed route.
BandA

Postby Lentinula » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 am

Well, the RTA is basically bankrupt, but in the unlikely scenario that Worcester can get its transit money in order, you think there could be some public-private effort to be had here? Maybe RTA and RIPTA get together with BSR and make things work?
Lentinula

Postby BandA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm

According to a Worcester Telegram article last week, the WRTA or RTA bus system is in a death spiral of cutbacks, fare increases, cost increases and level or low state funding, passenger decreases, combined with no innovation. If nothing is done it will collapse in just a few years, (unlike the MBTA which is Too Big to Fail) So no, I don't see the RTA helping BSRR unless it is some sort of passive conduit for federal or state grants.

In addition to the proposed services, I'd like to see BSRR provide a feeder service for the Worcester Line, such as Park-and-Rides to the north & south of the city.
BandA

Postby ts.puruz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm

And in the news today six guys and a gal from Siemens, Verizon and T-Mobile here meeting with BSRC people. Seems like an odd mix I shall attempt to squeeze for info.
ts.puruz

Postby Lentinula » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm

BandA wrote:According to a Worcester Telegram article last week, the WRTA or RTA bus system is in a death spiral of cutbacks, fare increases, cost increases and level or low state funding, passenger decreases, combined with no innovation. If nothing is done it will collapse in just a few years, (unlike the MBTA which is Too Big to Fail) So no, I don't see the RTA helping BSRR unless it is some sort of passive conduit for federal or state grants.

In addition to the proposed services, I'd like to see BSRR provide a feeder service for the Worcester Line, such as Park-and-Rides to the north & south of the city.

A feeder would be great. I want the RTA to not suck so bad, but they just can't seem to do it. They have exactly 0 service directed towards all the college kids in town either. No evening or night service, limited weekend, no college connector. When I was in college in Amherst i took the bus a couple times a day. Its a whole market the RTA is just ignoring.
Lentinula

Postby leviramsey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Lentinula wrote:A feeder would be great. I want the RTA to not suck so bad, but they just can't seem to do it. They have exactly 0 service directed towards all the college kids in town either. No evening or night service, limited weekend, no college connector. When I was in college in Amherst i took the bus a couple times a day. Its a whole market the RTA is just ignoring.

To be fair, the main reason that the PVTA in Amherst is so oriented towards the college students is that the colleges operate and effectively cover all the subsidy for the PVTA (that the drivers are UMass students and thus non-union, non-benefitted is a bonus) in Amherst/Hadley/Belchertown.
leviramsey

Postby Lentinula » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 pm

leviramsey wrote:To be fair, the main reason that the PVTA in Amherst is so oriented towards the college students is that the colleges operate and effectively cover all the subsidy for the PVTA (that the drivers are UMass students and thus non-union, non-benefitted is a bonus) in Amherst/Hadley/Belchertown.

the PVTA is pretty extensive and reliable in Springfield/Holyoke/Chickopee as well. And Students only operate a few of the in-town lines. The longer lines are all PVTA employees proper.

There are over 35,000 college students in Worcester, theres gotta be a way to better involve the universities and colleges.

And college kids are huge users of rail. I used amtrak like 6 times a year when I was in grad school. BSR and Amtrak (and MBCR) are really tapping that market poorly in Woo.
Lentinula

Postby Ridgefielder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:26 pm

ts.puruz wrote:And in the news today six guys and a gal from Siemens, Verizon and T-Mobile here meeting with BSRC people. Seems like an odd mix I shall attempt to squeeze for info.

Those would be the people I would expect to have in the room if I were looking to buy Wifi-equipped trainsets. New trainsets.
Ridgefielder

Postby elecuyer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm

If I were them, I'd be looking very seriously at acquiring these MUs:
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... cctid=6620

(But then again, if I were them, I would have realized a long time ago that this plan to run privately-funded passenger trains from Manchester NH to Providence RI is not going to work.)
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby BandA » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Talent is non-FRA compliant. Apparently Ottawa ran them on a time-separated railroad line. According to wikipedia,
Transport Canada allow the O-Train Trillium Line to use One-Person Train Operation, with fares collected through a proof-of-payment system. In March 2015, all three Talent units were replaced by Alstom Coradia LINT diesel units and presumably retired
So, Talent won't help BSRR. But imagine what proof-of-payment + single-person-operation would do for your labor costs, especially midday & weekends.
BandA

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan