All About the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington Railroad

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

All About the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington Railroad

Postby RichCoffey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Readsboro to Wilmington (HT&W)
A one-pager jam packed maps, thumbnail photos and links to historical and current ROW photos, etc.
It's a fascinating saga...
http://www.vizettes.com/kt/htw/
ENJOY!
RichCoffey

Re: All About the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington Railroad

Postby whatelyrailfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Great link! I put the page on my favorites list, lots of good information.
Peace,
Jonathan
whatelyrailfan

Postby CVRA7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for the link to this site, Rich. The HT&W double ended snowplow is at the Valley RR in Essex, CT and a former winch car that was originally a steam loco tender from the HT&W is at the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum.
CVRA7

Postby RichCoffey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks Folks - BTW - I just added a few more photos and links

FYI:
I am an info hound, here’s quick access to an index of links to more abandoned railroad history stuff I have compiled...
http://www.vizettes.com/kt/index.htm#railroads
RichCoffey

Postby FLRailFan1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Under Lake Whitingham is the old HT&W tressle over the Deerfield River. I have a picture of me swimming near it.
FLRailFan1

Postby JCitron » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:29 pm

Thank you for the link. This is very useful information. A friend of mine and I are working on a model project of the B&M Hoosac Tunnel and are incorporating the HT&W interchange, and possibly model the full HT&W in the future.

John
JCitron

Postby FLRailFan1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 pm

JCitron wrote:Thank you for the link. This is very useful information. A friend of mine and I are working on a model project of the B&M Hoosac Tunnel and are incorporating the HT&W interchange, and possibly model the full HT&W in the future.

John

I would love to know what customers did the HT&W have. I heard Readsboro Chair and the Mass Yankee were customers the last year. I am thinking of making a model of the HT&W updated to 2015 with at least those company and 6 'fictional' companies. A snowmobile company (VAST snowmobiles), a Mable quarry, a winery (tank cars and boxcars), a maple syrup company and a snow ski company.
FLRailFan1

Postby RichCoffey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00 pm

There is a lot of info online if you dig deep. For instance Google searches like “History of Readsboro, VT” or any other town on the line will bring up a myriad of historical facts relevant to your focus.
RichCoffey

Postby JCitron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 pm

RichCoffey wrote:There is a lot of info online if you dig deep. For instance Google searches like “History of Readsboro, VT” or any other town on the line will bring up a myriad of historical facts relevant to your focus.
FLRailFan1 wrote:
JCitron wrote:Thank you for the link. This is very useful information. A friend of mine and I are working on a model project of the B&M Hoosac Tunnel and are incorporating the HT&W interchange, and possibly model the full HT&W in the future.

John

I would love to know what customers did the HT&W have. I heard Readsboro Chair and the Mass Yankee were customers the last year. I am thinking of making a model of the HT&W updated to 2015 with at least those company and 6 'fictional' companies. A snowmobile company (VAST snowmobiles), a Mable quarry, a winery (tank cars and boxcars), a maple syrup company and a snow ski company.

Thanks guys... I will keep this in mind for our future project. We currently have a lot on our plate right now with our present project.

John
JCitron

Postby RichCoffey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:39 am

I can’t believe I overlooked this !
I added a link Gino’s Brochure Site as well - There's a wonderful old map and time table.

The Hoot Toot and Whistle by Gino DiCarlo
A Great Collection: History, 1906 Time Table, Map and Brochure, Photos

Link in "Further Info"
RichCoffey

Postby newpylong » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 am

For years I've tried to find out of Deerfield Glassine at Monroe Bridge had a bridge to bring tracks across or if they had a siding on the mainline side of the river - or none of the above.
newpylong

Postby jaymac » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 am

I'm guessing both. In the era of 30' cars and much lighter loading, the bridge could have carried both shorter and lighter cars and power. The 1947 UNH topos don't show tracks crossing the river, but field reporting and/or inclusion of field reporting weren't always 100% complete and accurate. The Gearth and Google Maps views hint that there might have been tracks on the mill side of the Deerfield.
The glassine mill seems like an excellent case in point for the discussions on another thread about old mill towns and what happens when the mills die. As a matter of publication, UMass even did a case study about Monroe: http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewc ... culty_pubs .
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:10 am

I hate to trust memory after 40+ years, but I don't remember a rail bridge across the river and my recollection is that cars were handled at a siding on the "mainline" side. I have late-1960s photos somewhere of the 44-Tonner switching there that would confirm that but digging them out wouldn't be easy... really gotta organize the collection one of these years!
TomNelligan

Postby B&M 1227 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 am

Deerfield Glassine had a warehouse on the east side of the Deerfield River immediately north of the bridge.
http://gino.cdfw.net/HTW/SW520929078.jpg
http://gino.cdfw.net/HTW/SW520929080.jpg
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby jaymac » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:49 am

Dag! Not even a skate or a tie for the end of track on the siding! I guess -- there I go again -- that a crossing of the bridge would have been unlikely to the point of nonexistence.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Next

Return to New England Railfan