Nashua, Acton and Boston Rail Trail Sign

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Nashua, Acton and Boston Rail Trail Sign

Postby neman2 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:59 pm

There is an amusingly erroneous sign at an entrance to the trail at 117 Cold Spring Rd. in Westford. Apparently someone mistook the nickname of this line as the "Red Line" (because it never made money) to mean it was part of the MBTA Red Line. The MBTA and its predecessors didn't even exist in 1872!

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to upload the picture but here is a quote from the trail guide sign- "The rail trail passing by the Russell Bird Sanctuary and passing over the Stone Arch Bridge was once a railroad as part of the MBTA Red Line. The Red Line was built in 1872 connecting Acton Ma. with Nashua, NH."
neman2

Re: Nashua, Acton and Boston Rail Trail Sign

Postby Cosmo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:01 pm

WHAT THA' &^%$#@#$%^&??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody has their head end up their axle! :P
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby trainsinmaine » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Yes, an attempt was once made to place electrified high-speed rail so as to alleviate all the traffic in downtown Dunstable, but for some reason they just couldn't make a go of it . . . :wink:
trainsinmaine

Postby neman2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:29 pm

I wonder what the fare was between Park St. and Nashua?

I would like to post the picture but it says the file is too large, can someone give me a hint?
neman2

Postby Cosmo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:46 pm

neman2 wrote:I wonder what the fare was between Park St. and Nashua?

I would like to post the picture but it says the file is too large, can someone give me a hint?

Try opening it in Win photo Viewer (or whatever photo software you have, ie: Picasa etc...) and look for the "Resize" option, usually under "File."
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby MaineCoonCat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Cosmo wrote:
neman2 wrote:I wonder what the fare was between Park St. and Nashua?

Try opening it in Win photo Viewer (or whatever photo software you have, ie: Picasa etc...) and look for the "Resize" option, usually under "File."

Another "trick" is if you have an on-line album like Snapfish, Picasa, Panoramio etc. is to upload the picture to it. Then open the picture on that site, and right-click it. In the drop-down menu that appears, select "Copy Image Location". Then post that location using the Img function. In the "EDIT POST" window, Click the Img button above and then paste the link between the tags..

I used this method to post this example of the syntax here:

As always, Your mileage will vary. Kindly use an album or location that you don't anticipate will change as if it does, the link will be broken and thus disappoint those hoping to view your image in the future. Please PM me if you need further assistance with this. I've tried this with an image measuring 2816×2112 pixels – 703KB with success.
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby neman2 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I know this is an old thread but I went there today (1/28/2017) and the sign is still there and I know how to post the picture now so here it is-

Westford Rail Trail Sign 090614.jpg
neman2

Postby BandA » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:49 am

MBTA red line???
BandA

Postby b&m 1566 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:43 pm

*Chuckle* Oh boy!!!
b&m 1566

Postby RussNelson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:51 pm

It could be worse. It could be a carved stone lintel that says "O&W" in Oswego, when it was really the RW&O.
RussNelson

Postby MaineCoonCat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:53 pm

I passed the link to this thread to the Westford Conservation Trust via Facebook. Apparently the trail is owned by the town. The trust is going to let their "trail folks" know about this "error"..

https://www.facebook.com/Westford-Conservation-Trust-164838480219558/
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Return to New England Railfan