Cartier Signal question.

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

Cartier Signal question.

Postby amtrakhogger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I was watching a video of Cartier operations and had a question about a signal indication. I saw at typical 3 head signal with two horizontal lunar white lights above the bottom signal head. Any comments on what they are for?
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Re: Cartier Signal question.

Postby Ken V » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:33 pm

You've got me stumped. There's nothing covering anything like this under rules 405=439 of Transport Canada's Canadian Railway Operating Rules. I suppose it could be unique to that specific railway.

Being the curious type I found an example in this You Tube video at the 3:45 mark.

Since it is the only signal governing a turnout at the end of a two track siding the lunar lights might be a divider and the top two lights are for the left (siding) track and the bottom light for the right (main) track. But that's just a guess.
Ken V. Moderator: Most things Canadian.
Any time could be train time!
Ken V

Postby LeeBB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I worked on Cartier Railroad from 1966 to 1985, at that time southbound single aspect approach signals were equipped with two horizontal white lights that were connected to a dragging equipment detector. It would appear that since that time additional detectors have been added. Hope this helps.
LeeBB

Postby amtrakhogger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:57 pm

Thank you.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Return to Canadian Railfan