Russian TM locomotives?

All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

Russian TM locomotives?

Postby tomjohn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Gentlemen,
What ever became of those few Russian TM locomotives that last reported in Texas?

Tom
tomjohn
 

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby PortoAmboim » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure they were eventually returned to Russia in near-to-derelict condition, overhauled and resold to industrial railway operators in Russia.
PortoAmboim
 

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby scharnhorst » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:41 pm

I was wondering the same thing my self as the web page has not been updated in a long time. Those locos are called TEM7's if I rember? are still vary much active in Ukraine, Russia, possibly in Belarus and in parts of the middle East, Africa and maybe India?? I do not know if these units ever made it to South America or Cuba.

These units became a dieing bread in Estona, Latvia, and Lithuania after the the year 2000 and have been or are being replaced with Modern GE Locomotives comeing off of BNSF, Conrail, and outher North American Railroads.
no matter the weather or the country I'll still be trackside!
scharnhorst
 
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK, Syracuse, NY - Kherson, Ukraine

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 am

If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
User avatar
DutchRailnut
 
Posts: 21176
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby scharnhorst » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:20 pm

sad to here that they were scraped out they would have made for an intresting museum pice even if they never did turn a wheel on U.S. rails anyplace.
no matter the weather or the country I'll still be trackside!
scharnhorst
 
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK, Syracuse, NY - Kherson, Ukraine

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby Jishnu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:34 pm

scharnhorst wrote:I was wondering the same thing my self as the web page has not been updated in a long time. Those locos are called TEM7's if I rember? are still vary much active in Ukraine, Russia, possibly in Belarus and in parts of the middle East, Africa and maybe India??

India? No way. As far as Diesel road power goes India is strictly ALCO (WDM-2 and derivative IR classes) and more recently EMD, though earlier on they did have a batch of EMD's too (the WDM-4 IR class). Close to a thousand WDM-2s and derivatives were manufactured in India at the Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi under license, and many of them still run around all over India.
User avatar
Jishnu
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: 150 yards from the M&E between Short Hills and Summit

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby scharnhorst » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Jishnu wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I was wondering the same thing my self as the web page has not been updated in a long time. Those locos are called TEM7's if I rember? are still vary much active in Ukraine, Russia, possibly in Belarus and in parts of the middle East, Africa and maybe India??

India? No way. As far as Diesel road power goes India is strictly ALCO (WDM-2 and derivative IR classes) and more recently EMD, though earlier on they did have a batch of EMD's too (the WDM-4 IR class). Close to a thousand WDM-2s and derivatives were manufactured in India at the Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi under license, and many of them still run around all over India.


Thanks for the update. I guessed India as being a possable location for Russian built locomotives as both countrys do have a loose trade afflitation with each outher on military equipment. But as is must be they were sampleing units that ran in from pakistan and misslabled by the person who took the photos that were posted.
no matter the weather or the country I'll still be trackside!
scharnhorst
 
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK, Syracuse, NY - Kherson, Ukraine

Re: Russian TM locomotives?

Postby Jishnu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:27 pm

scharnhorst wrote:Thanks for the update. I guessed India as being a possable location for Russian built locomotives as both countrys do have a loose trade afflitation with each outher on military equipment. But as is must be they were sampleing units that ran in from pakistan and misslabled by the person who took the photos that were posted.

India has actually never had a serious trade relationship with Russia with respect to rail equipment. In the steam days, immediately after independence, Indian Railways worked closely with Baldwin and MLW to create the IRS standard locomotive classes WP, (Passenger), WG (Goods) and WL (Light), and the corresponding Meter Gauge classes.

Then on the diesel side Indian Railways acquired off the shelf EMD (WDM-4) and Alco (WDM-2) and then manufactured literally thousands of WDM-2's and derivatives under license. On the electric side Indian Railways worked closely with the 50 Hz Group in Europe (Siemens, ASEA, Alsthom etc.) and a consortium of Hitachi, Mitsubishi and Toshiba in Japan to acquire the technology for 50Hz electrification and 25kV 50Hz locomotives. Initially locomotives were purchased outright in knockdown condition and assembled in India, and then Chittaranjan Locomotive Works started manufacturing locomotives again in very large numbers.

More recently Indian Railways has again gone out to Bombardier, Alsthom and Siemens to acquire the newest technologies for coach as well as electric locomotives and EMUs, and to EMD for diesel locomotives, and again acquired technologies are being manufactured in massive numbers in India under license. The big difference is that this time around companies like Bombardier and Siemens are setting up their own shops in India too in addition to the manufacturing capacity of the Indian Railways owned units. Also Rotem and Mitsubishi are now involved in delivering Metro rolling stock in Delhi and other Metros.

So for example the coaches used in Rajdhani Express trains are manufactured in India using a design from Alstom-LHB. The electric locomotives that pull it is an Indian designed Co-Co derivative of a Bombardier original Bo-Bo design etc.
User avatar
Jishnu
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: 150 yards from the M&E between Short Hills and Summit


Return to Rebuilders & Smaller Locomotive Works

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests