Lower Booton Line Rail Trail Proposal

General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

Lower Booton Line Rail Trail Proposal

Postby nyswfan » Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 am

IMO, a perfect candidate for rail-trail conversion would be the Lower Boonton line, east of Bay St. The Rail Trail would/could start right in montclair through Glen Ridge, Bloomfield & Belleville with various existing accesses to Branch Brook Park, Kearny and access to Hackensack and the water. Who owns this section?I know east of the hackensack it used as storage but I havent seen a train west of the hackensack in forever... Are they even any frieght customers left?
nyswfan

Re: Lower Booton Line Rail Trail Proposal

Postby ebtmikado » Thu May 15, 2014 9:26 am

Re: "lower BOONTON Line (Greenwood Lake): The most sensible use for this route would be an extension of the Newark City Subway from Franklin Ave. to Montclair, via Forest Hill station area.
I have been thinking of this route for more than 40 years, when the Montclair Connection was first seriously considered.

Lee Carlson
ebtmikado

Re: Lower Booton Line Rail Trail Proposal

Postby railtrailbiker » Sat May 24, 2014 9:46 pm

The answers to many of your questions about why the Lower Boonton Line hasn't already been converted to a trail may be found in this article:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/communi ... 4?page=all

Additionally, it was reported in other newspaper articles that residents of municipalities on the east side of the Hackensack River bridge opposed construction of a trail that would utilize the now abandoned bridge because they believed it would provide "undesirables" from Newark easy access to their neighborhoods.
railtrailbiker

Return to Rail Trails