Site Issues and Improvements

Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Site Issues and Improvements

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi All,

Railroad.net is on a new server. The old server was up while the new site was being prepared, so it's possible some posts in that time period were lost. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm already aware of the "line 18 error" and we're working on it. Please post any other issues here.

There may also be registration issues. However, once the process is complete, we're hoping that the issues of the recent months will be behind us.

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7443
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am
Location: MP 67.2 Georgia Southern Railway

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby MEC407 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for your hard work, Jeff!

Any chance that topic reply notifications via email will be restored once the new server gets ironed out? And the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics?
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10686
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby Tommy Meehan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I too appreciate the work that goes into maintaining this site. I also thank you for informing us. Another forum I use also went through the changeover to a new server recently. However they gave plenty of advance warning so members would know to expect possible problems. That made the changeover a lot easier for everyone.
User avatar
Tommy Meehan
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:00 am
Location: Yonkers

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby BandA » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am

A mysql database administrator should be able to recover the missing posts from the final state of the old server. Select the posts newer than the backup used to create the new server. Care would have to be taken with new threads created, and the insertion of the posts would have to be tested.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby charlie6017 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Tommy Meehan wrote:I too appreciate the work that goes into maintaining this site. I also thank you for informing us. Another forum I use also went through the changeover to a new server recently. However they gave plenty of advance warning so members would know to expect possible problems. That made the changeover a lot easier for everyone.


Same here......thanks so much for your work. I'm very grateful and happy to hear of the improvements! :-)

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
User avatar
charlie6017
 
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby MEC407 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 am

Wow! Topic reply notifications via email are back with a vengeance! I think it's been a couple years since they stopped working. Very glad to have them back — as well as the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics! As a moderator this makes my life MUCH easier.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10686
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby Tommy Meehan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 am

The site also seems to have crashed again last evening. That was the error message I got: site has crashed.
User avatar
Tommy Meehan
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:00 am
Location: Yonkers

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Fianlly getting the topic emails, but pretty much all of them are weeks behind, and some repeatedly come in even though no replies have been made. A step in the right direction though!
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5597
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby MEC407 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Same here. Been getting emails from February 1, February 2, and February 3. Wondering if the server will eventually catch up, or if they're always going to be 10 days behind from here on out...?
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10686
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:28 pm

This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby charlie6017 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:49 am

Rbts Stn wrote:This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.
Attachments
Steve Harvey WTF 1.png
~Charlie Ricker
User avatar
charlie6017
 
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby ACeInTheHole » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:52 pm

charlie6017 wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.

Rbts.... lolololololololol
User avatar
ACeInTheHole
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby 4400Washboard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm

charlie6017 wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:This upgrade stinks. The "Last visited" date on the front page of the forums was giving me a 2013 date for the past year and a half, which is how I "proved" to my wife that I wasn't wasting time on this site (her words). Now it shows "last visited" as today, so I am going to be in trouble.


Haha :-)

MEC407 wrote:Wow! Topic reply notifications via email are back with a vengeance! I think it's been a couple years since they stopped working. Very glad to have them back — as well as the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe from topics! As a moderator this makes my life MUCH easier.


Any way to disable them? Some threads pop up over and over again while others do not
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
User avatar
4400Washboard
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow…

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 pm

It looks like the over and over stuff has finally stopped. All my emails in the last two days have been relievent and on topic. lol
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5597
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Site Issues and Improvements

Postby MEC407 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:46 pm

4400Washboard wrote:Any way to disable them? Some threads pop up over and over again while others do not


I think this is how you'd disabled them. Go to User Control Panel --> click the Board Preferences tab --> click Edit Posting Defaults --> change the last one from Yes to No
Attachments
Screen shot 2015-02-20 at 4.41.29 PM.gif
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10686
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Next

Return to News, Announcements, FAQ and Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest