Greenlawn

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

Greenlawn

Postby Legio X » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:34 pm

I recall a siding, or spur, in Greenlawn. Are there any potential customers that could be served here, or is it just used by the LIRR for meets or for work trains.
Legio X

Postby John 61 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:39 pm

The siding in Greenlawn is still there. I believe the switches are hand thrown and not remote controled by "Divide" The LIRR doesn't have any regular passenger meets there. I was by the area about 5 or 6 weeks ago and did see a tank car west of the station on the siding track. I don't know who that car was for.
John 61

Postby Jayjay1213 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:49 am

There is a customer in Greenlawn, he is the same guy that gets tanks in Huntington and boxcars in Islip. He actually has received 2 boxcars in Greenlawn within the past few weeks. There is a brick guy there as well that is interested in giving rail a shot.
Jayjay1213

Postby jayrmli » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:46 pm

The switches at Greenlawn siding are hand thrown electric lock switches. Originally, when the line was bidirectionally signalled, Greenlawn was going to be a passing siding, but either the funding ran out or the railroad decided against it. (That's why there's the unused high platform on the south side.)

Jay
jayrmli

Postby Legio X » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:37 pm

Anything new customer-wise at Greenlawn? One of the earlier posts mentioned potential for new customers? Have the regular customers had anything spotted lately?
Legio X

Postby Legio X » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:13 am

Anything new in Greenlawn?
Legio X

Postby Legio X » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:23 pm

I checked out Greenlawn today. There was nothing spotted on the spur just west of the station. That spur is in pretty bad shape. The siding track from which the spur branches off looked as though it had been recently used. There was a shine on the rail. Why is the platform on the south side of the r.o.w. still accessible to the public if it's not used?
Legio X

Postby M1 9147 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:57 pm

I'm usually in Greenlawn at least twice a week passing by car, and lately nothing. Maybe a few months ago I saw one tank car, but that was it. And yes, Greenlawn has that unused south side platform with no means of using it for passenger service unless an emergency occured.
M1 9147

Postby alcoc420 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:58 pm

That freight siding brings back pleasant memories. In 1984 and maybe 1985, I used to go there almost every night and hang out by the RF extra that used to tie down there. Earlier in the day the RF brought coal to Kings Park and salt to Setauket. The train would usually go west from Kings Park around 4PM and stop in Greenlawn. Around 9PM a new crew would take the train west. Apparently the crew would bring it back from Yard A before the AM rush with 16 loads. The trains usually had 2 C420s and 16 cars. I believe the LIRR called it the night hauler.
alcoc420

Postby Legio X » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:03 pm

Any pictures of these trains? Ahh, the 222-229.....they were a treat back in the day. Too bad NYA did'nt start ten years earlier. They might've been their power, rather than the EMD fleet they have now.
Legio X

Postby M1 9147 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 pm

I surely do remember the freight headed to Port Jeff with the C420's in '85 when I was 10. Boy, and that occasionally had the sand train there for layups from time to time. Greenlawn in '85 got its high level platforms built there then.
M1 9147

Postby Legio X » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 am

Has NYA spotted any cars at Greenlawn recently?
Legio X

Postby Legio X » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Anything? Anything?
Legio X

Postby Legio X » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:07 pm

The spur has had dirt and what looks like concrete dumped on it here and there, and appears to be fouled. It looks worst towards the east end of the spur. Is someone trying to prevent the NYA from serving customers there? Also, the loading dock looks really bad. Is that where the boxcars that get spotted here get unloaded?
Legio X

Postby b/p rupture » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 am

Legio X wrote:The spur has had dirt and what looks like concrete dumped on it here and there, and appears to be fouled. It looks worst towards the east end of the spur. Is someone trying to prevent the NYA from serving customers there? Also, the loading dock looks really bad. Is that where the boxcars that get spotted here get unloaded?

Seems to me, if a customer wanted to be serviced, the dumping of sand/concrete would be of little consequence, Just a matter of cleaning it up. Perhaps though the cost of cleanup, especially if the vadalism was of an ongoing nature, might prove to be prohibitive.
32 x 5 = 160. However, R32 divided by 5 = R160
b/p rupture

Next

Return to New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail