Brookhaven Rail Terminal

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

Re: Brookhaven Rail Terminal

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:06 pm

It's a Free Westbound out of the City. :-D
Backshophoss

Postby ccutler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:21 am

Oh yes, my mistake. Tolls are only for eastbound traffic crossing the Hudson river.
ccutler

Postby freightguy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Brookhaven has begun to receive bulkhead flats of rebar for construction at the terminal. There is also a new consignee that ships stone that comes off CP Rail from upstate NY. Both of these are newer business added to BRT.
Signed off
freightguy

Postby SemperFidelis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Did the Saratoga and North Creek finally get a decent enough rate to ship out those tailings via CP Rail?
SemperFidelis

Postby ccutler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for posting about the CP-originated stone cars. I saw a cut of seven 3-bay hoppers, empty in Oak Point Yard, and was wondering what they were for.
ccutler

Postby NIMBYkiller » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Some folks and I over at subchat (I know, I know...) have been discussing the possibilities for freight movements to the island. From what I've read in this thread, it seems that anything intermodal is limited to single stack non-well cars (even though it was my understanding the Willis Av overpass was built with double stacks in mind...or do double stacks require well cars?). Why is that such a non-starter. Without that, what's the potential for freight movements to the island? We were basically debating the cross harbor tunnel vs other options, one of which being assembling a train in Jersey specifically for LI and sending it express via Selkirk (but not being taken apart and reassembled in Selkirk). Does the potential for rail freight on LI make this at all feasible, or is there just not enough? I only ask in this thread because BRT seems like the place where this would all go to be transferred over to trucks.
NIMBYkiller

Postby ccutler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:14 am

It might make more sense for CSX to build a dedicated trailer + container train [no well cars] in New Baltimore Ohio, where containers could be routed from all over the country, and send that train to LI. With the recent slowdown in rail freight, there is now ample equipment and track availability for such a run. However, there are currently no terminals in Long Island. Until someone has the money and courage to build such a terminal, it just won't happen. In the mean time, enjoy the truck traffic over NYC bridges!
ccutler

Previous

Return to New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail