NYA use of P&W power in Maspeth

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

NYA use of P&W power in Maspeth

Postby DogBert » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 am

I stumbled across an NY&A train in Maspeth on Saturday, using P&W power. They were switching the aggregate customer in the yard, collecting the empties and heading back to Fremont (where I assume a P&W crew took the train out of town later that afternoon).

I've never come across NY&A switching the stone cars here, so I'm wondering if they usually make this move with P&W's power?
Attachments
P&W-IMG_7354.jpg
DogBert

Re: NYA use of P&W power in Maspeth

Postby mikey cruz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Very interesting indeed.
mikey cruz

Postby AlKaLI » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Dogbert:

Wow! Nice catch. The use of P&W power is interesting. I have never seen this.

Many years ago when CP was running directly into Fresh Pond, I was surprised to see two bright red CP SD40-2s switching the east end of Fresh Pond yard.
NY&A has a history of "borrowing" lay-over power. This is the first example that I've seen of units out on the old mainline.

Other railroads have horsepower-hour agreements for units on another railroad. I wonder if the NY&A has such an agreement.
From you picture, there is a GP38-2 (2000 hp), B39-8E (3900) and another GE unit (let's say another B39-8E)
That's 9800 hp being used from Fresh Pond to Maspeth and back. Can't be cheap

Regards, AlKaLI
AlKaLI

Postby DogBert » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Yeah - 2 B-39s. Unless it has changed lately their Gp-38-2's didn't come down here often either.

Assuming they just used the power for the stone move, I can't imagine it took long. Plus they could run around the train and fremont and leave the power ready for the P&W crew to duck right out of town.

I didn't count cars but there had to have been at least 30-40 empties. With all the cars that customer gets, a few extra bucks to move the cars a few miles shouldn't be bad.
DogBert

Postby csx8851 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 pm

AlKaLI wrote:Wow! Nice catch. The use of P&W power is interesting. I have never seen this.

Many years ago when CP was running directly into Fresh Pond, I was surprised to see two bright red CP SD40-2s switching the east end of Fresh Pond yard.
NY&A has a history of "borrowing" lay-over power. This is the first example that I've seen of units out on the old mainline.

Regards, AlKaLI

Actaully, I had seen PW power on an NYA train that was switching the yard. Usuallly the job is left to 3 of the SW1000s. It was quite new to me and tbh it was interesting. This was over a year ago.
Check out my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/csx8851
csx8851

Postby jtunnel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Not an uncommon practice.
jtunnel

Return to New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail