Coastal Dist Farmingdale crane question

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

Coastal Dist Farmingdale crane question

Postby nyandw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Was this ever used and for what purpose? Did it replace the yellow one there in the 1990's and was it used for what purposes? Anyone with photos of the older/newer crane/lift prior to its removal?

Thanks Folks. The info is for this page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/nyafreight.htm
nyandw

Re: Coastal Dist Farmingdale crane question

Postby tj48 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 am

As far as I can remember it was used for the LIRR's short lived bogie operation. Only saw the bogies in operation 1 time, it was an MP-15ac with about 7 Clare Rose trailers moving slowly across the rte. 110 bridge.
tj48

Postby rscott417 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 am

TOFC bogies
Unloading crane
There was another crane like this one in the Greenville yard in Jersey City NJ. The bogies and cranes were custom built for LIRR because of all the low clearance overpasses regular TOFC's could not be used.
rscott417

Postby Tadman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Steve, I saw this crane on your site yesterday and was immediately curious myself. My family used to own a crane manufacturing company so I immediately perked up. I collect the builder's plates off old cranes and I always look for them, even in pics. That said, I cannot figure out who made it just by looking at it (sometimes you can, especially if the shot clearly shows the gearbox or bottom block).
Tadman

Postby nyandw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 pm

I thought there was an older crane there in the 1990's; color yellow. However, upon reflection ( is it a fixed crane?) they probably painted it "bogie blue" to match. Anyone?

Found this: Re: NYAR Train Sighting Thread - 2004-2010
New postby tj48 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:13 pm
By the way, just noticed a couple of days ago the trailer lifter they used back in the bogie days has been removed...
nyandw

Return to New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail