Fremont 4th track

Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

Re: Fremont 4th track

Postby jayrmli » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

My guess would be it was removed sometime during PRR/PC/Conrail ownership. Traffic levels were down and there's no need to keep additional track that you don't need, especially in New York State which has always had a harsh way of taxing railroads.
Check out my website about railfanning in the Northeast!

http://www.northeastrailfans.com
jayrmli

Postby ccutler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 am

I saw a train of continuously welded rail cross Hell's Gate Bridge southbound just now...might it be for this project?
ccutler

Postby freightguy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:29 pm

LIRR has there own welded rail train. It could be that if it was brown coming back loaded. I also saw Amtrak has had the concrete tie machine working around Pelham and Hellgate vicinity. Just the one freight interchange track wouldn't really warrant a CWR train. I'm thinking more for upcoming LIRR mainline track work programs this spring/summer...
Signed off
freightguy

Postby DogBert » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Whatever it was they must have dropped it off quickly and gone back north. I got back in today around 1:30pm and didn't hear them heading back.

If I recall right I saw the empty train going north a few weeks ago tacked on to the end of the usual morning job.
DogBert

Previous

Return to New York & Atlantic Railway/NYNJ Rail