Signals

Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, mikec, cjl330

Signals

Postby NJT4115 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 pm

This may sound silly and stupid to ask, but are there any signals on the M&E. I see what look like signals near crossings but I don't know if they are regular signals on the line. Is it because the M&E has little traffic there is no need for signals?
Attention Ho-Ho-Kus passengers, the next westbound train to Waldwick, stopping at Waldwick, is now arriving on Track 3. Please watch the gap when boarding the train.

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? -Billy Joel
NJT4115

Re: Signals

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm

These are "crossing" signals.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby blockline4180 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm pretty sure if they are lit it lets the engineer know that the crossing flashers are activated.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby NJT4115 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

I have noticed that the crossing signals light up, but are there any regular signals (not for crossing use) on the system besides from Morristown to Denville or Dover?
Attention Ho-Ho-Kus passengers, the next westbound train to Waldwick, stopping at Waldwick, is now arriving on Track 3. Please watch the gap when boarding the train.

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? -Billy Joel
NJT4115

Postby Ken W2KB » Fri May 04, 2012 8:02 pm

NJT4115 wrote:I have noticed that the crossing signals light up, but are there any regular signals (not for crossing use) on the system besides from Morristown to Denville or Dover?

Signals are expensive to maintain and there is no need for them. For example, when we operate trains on the Black River & Western (which in-service section extends from Three Bridges to Ringoes) it is by (1) timetable authority for regularly scheduled trains, and (2) train orders for all others. With operating rules governing things like separation, dropping fusees, etc. it is very safe.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Return to Morristown & Erie Rail Operations