Article regarding the Chester Branch

Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, mikec, cjl330

Chester Branch

Postby cjvrr » Wed May 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Group,

I wanted to post this link to a new article in the Star Ledger about the project.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/roxbury_township_officials_pro.html

Roxbury is giving the County a hard time about fixing the tracks. If you read the article you will see they built their walking trail and driveway on property adjacent to the tracks without permission from the owner. Now they don't want the rails to be restored.

Roxbury has had a longstanding "issue" with any improvements to the railroad and unfortunately it continues. Really sad too, because if they looked at it a little differently they may be see there is an possibility of building a trail along more sections of the rail lines in Town especially if they are already government owned.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Re: Chester Branch

Postby blockline4180 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 am

NIMBY's at work, what else is new!!

So what does this mean in terms of Kuikens??
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby Tri-State Tom » Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 am

This is a very minor matter that will be resolved and forgotten about rather quickly.

This is the kind of 'news' you expect to see in the Mayberry Dispatch....during a slow week :P
Tri-State Tom

Postby CAR_FLOATER » Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am

Gee, and all this time I thought it was Morris county who owned this line, and had the M&E as designated operator.

CF
M.P. 28.5 On The NY Division
CAR_FLOATER

Postby blockline4180 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am

I read over the article again and it seems like Roxbury only has a problem with them working on the last 3,000 feet or so of the railroad.. IMHO, I don't think the county would have any stumbling blocks with regard to the future rehab of the first 3 miles or so...No?
~Steve Pellettiere
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby njmidland » Thu May 07, 2009 10:58 am

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Gee, and all this time I thought it was Morris county who owned this line, and had the M&E as designated operator.

CF

No - the Chester Branch was purchased by Holland and Westinghouse back before the County bought the CNJ line. When Westinghouse stopped using the line they sold their half to Holland. Essentially no maintenance has happened on this line in 20+ years as the owners have not spent any money on it - hence the "interesting" crossing conditions of Rt. 46 and Rt. 10.
~Tim Stuy
Purveyor of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel: http://www.phoebesnowco.com
njmidland

Postby CarterB » Thu May 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Doesn't Toys R Us still use rail at their Bartley Dist. Center?
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby blockline4180 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm

CarterB wrote:Doesn't Toys R Us still use rail at their Bartley Dist. Center?

Wrong line, they are at the end of the High Bridge Branch.
~Steve Pellettiere
blockline4180

Postby carajul » Mon May 11, 2009 12:13 am

This is the line that crosses Rt. 10 with those ANCIENT wooden crossbucks. It used to go all the way down to Chester, NJ (thus the name "chester branch") but now terminates a miles or so past Rt 10. I don't think anything has gone past Rt. 10 in decades. Track is burried in grass and mud.
carajul

Postby RS115 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm

DecadeS is a stretch. It's has been some time however. Wickes Lumber was located on the site that is becoming Kuiken's and got a very occassional car though I'm unsure when they got their last. Much of the line past the Kuikens switch is very shakey but would only be needed if something were to go into the Westinghouse location and start using rail. For service to Kuikens they need maybe 6-8 car lengths to permit drilling the siding.

The whole branch is in serious need of work. Hopefully the towns whining will fall where it belongs and the work will proceed. The road/path in the park is very close to the tracks (thanks to their encroachment) but even if nothing is changed switching is would be during the day during the week - not peek park usage time.
RS115

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 pm

carajul wrote:This is the line that crosses Rt. 10 with those ANCIENT wooden crossbucks. It used to go all the way down to Chester, NJ (thus the name "chester branch") but now terminates a miles or so past Rt 10. I don't think anything has gone past Rt. 10 in decades. Track is burried in grass and mud.
The Chester Branch was orignally Lackawanna. The southern section beyong the Westinghouse plant in Randolph through Ironia and Chester was abandoned in 1933.

The US Route 46 crossing is also in poor shape (although new crossbucks and signals were recently installed).
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby cjvrr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Just wanted to give a little update....

We are still working through the federal approval process for stimulus projects. We got around the big NJDEP hurdle today and won't be required to obtain any environmental permits....

Only a few more minor revisions to make to the plans due to this decisions, but the project should get authorized for the funding prior to the November 30th cut off date.

If everything goes according to schedule, the rehab should begin next spring.

Chris
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Postby blockline4180 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:50 pm

cjvrr wrote:Just wanted to give a little update....

We are still working through the federal approval process for stimulus projects. We got around the big NJDEP hurdle today and won't be required to obtain any environmental permits....

Only a few more minor revisions to make to the plans due to this decisions, but the project should get authorized for the funding prior to the November 30th cut off date.

If everything goes according to schedule, the rehab should begin next spring.

Chris

Thanks for the update Chris...
Do you know if Kuikens will start receiving cars before then or will they just wait until the line is rehabbed??
~Steve Pellettiere
blockline4180

Postby mikedc3 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 pm

So much for shovel ready.

Chris, A few things.

A, I read on here once that Ben Friedland purchased a short section of track around LK Jct so that even if the MnE lost the contract, who ever got it had to pay him. I don't believe this but do you know?

B, I saw a bunch of hard hats walking the line East from Berkshire Valley Rd this past week. Was one of them you?

C, How much in both time and money did the shakedown by Roxbury Township add to this project? I know you won't answer this one but....

Thanks.
Check out my abandond RR and Canal pictures at:
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/MIKEdc3/
Password is pics
mikedc3

Postby cjvrr » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 am

blockline4180 wrote:Thanks for the update Chris...
Do you know if Kuikens will start receiving cars before then or will they just wait until the line is rehabbed??

Block,

I have heard sometime in the spring, but the economy is the driving force behind shipments to that facility. The line rehab will NOT be finished by that time. We are figuring about a 6 month time frame for construction.

Chris
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Next

Return to Morristown & Erie Rail Operations