Official SIRR Thread

Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, mikec, cjl330

Re: SIRR/Rahway valley

Postby MNR's #1 Conductor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Sirsonic wrote:The SIRY is currently being used only for car storage. The M&E accesses the line from Bayway (Linden) only on an irregular basis.

Thanks for the info!! Do you know if the M&E moves come close to or right by the Cranford RVL station??? Thinkin' I might scout there for photo ops!!
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)
MNR's #1 Conductor

Postby Sirsonic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 am

It seems that the M&E generally shoves the cars out when they bring anything out. Either way, they do not go past the South Ave grade crossing on the SIRY which is a few hundred feet from the connection of the SIRY to the CR Garwood Industrial (the freight track that runs by Cranford station). So, in answer to your question, no, they don't get anywhere near Cranford station.
Proven Theory #2 - If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks, or how well you think you understand railroading.

Rest in peace Jtgshu.
Sirsonic

Postby MNR's #1 Conductor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Sirsonic wrote:It seems that the M&E generally shoves the cars out when they bring anything out. Either way, they do not go past the South Ave grade crossing on the SIRY which is a few hundred feet from the connection of the SIRY to the CR Garwood Industrial (the freight track that runs by Cranford station). So, in answer to your question, no, they don't get anywhere near Cranford station.

Damn, that sucks!!! Thanks for the info!! :-)
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)
MNR's #1 Conductor

New SIRT - SIR webpages

Postby nyandw » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 pm

http://www.trainsarefun.com/sirt/sirt.htm New SIRT/SIR page

SIRT-CNJ 0-8-0 311-Switching Cars on SIRT Tracks at SIRT-CNJ Interchange-Cranford Jct. - c. 1946
nyandw

Re: Official SIRR Thread

Postby Conrail Blue » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:33 am

I noticed that there are hopper cars parked on the SIRR deadline in Roselle by south ave. When were these moved there and are more going to be stored there? Reason I ask is because I just moved my business there. My building is right next to the tracks and I would like to get a photo of the M&E train.
Conrail Blue

Postby Sirsonic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm

There should be no cars on the SIRY west of the bridge over Amtrak. The M&E no longer has any authority to operate on the SIRY. Their contract to operate it expired and was not renewed.
Proven Theory #2 - If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks, or how well you think you understand railroading.

Rest in peace Jtgshu.
Sirsonic

Postby umtrr-author » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Who, if any third party, is operating it now?

I did notice last trip down to NJ that there is a fence across the tracks just east of the bridge over US 1-9 and the ramp to 278 East.

There were centerflows parked right on the "main line" just about up to that fence.
umtrr-author

Postby Conrail Blue » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Within the last two days, empty hopper cars from bayway were dropped off on the tracks ending at South Ave. I'd like to know if more are coming so I can catch the drop off.
Conrail Blue

Postby michaelk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Conrail Blue wrote:Within the last two days, empty hopper cars from bayway were dropped off on the tracks ending at South Ave. I'd like to know if more are coming so I can catch the drop off.

The cars where dropped In the Roselle Cranford area?
michaelk

Postby BigDell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Was there ever a resolution to this? Is anything "on the tracks" these days???
BigDell

Re:

Postby MNR's #1 Conductor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 pm

cjl330 wrote:In addition to the new connection to the Chemical Coast, the original track was rebuilt also. There is now a switch west of AK drawbridge. One lead goes to the new connection, which is a curved ramp that goes down to the Chem Coast. The other lead goes to the former Staten Island Railway line. Heading west on the Staten Island line (toward Linden - Roselle - Cranford) there is one obstacle, the wooden trestle. According to the last plans I had seen, it will eventually be demolished, and filled in.

The Chemical Coast/SIR connection next to the NJ Turnpike is known as CP RALPH.
MNR's #1 Conductor

Postby BigDell » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 pm

cjl330 wrote:
In addition to the new connection to the Chemical Coast, the original track was rebuilt also. There is now a switch west of AK drawbridge. One lead goes to the new connection, which is a curved ramp that goes down to the Chem Coast. The other lead goes to the former Staten Island Railway line. Heading west on the Staten Island line (toward Linden - Roselle - Cranford) there is one obstacle, the wooden trestle. According to the last plans I had seen, it will eventually be demolished, and filled in.

The Chemical Coast/SIR connection next to the NJ Turnpike is known as CP RALPH.

Slightly confused...... Although the plan appears to be dead running through the old SI line to Cranford, can the trains actually make the connection? Is the line complete from the switch off the bridge? WHat exactly is the wooden trestle blocking, the actual trackage? Or is that part of it?
Thanks...
BigDell

Previous

Return to Morristown & Erie Rail Operations