WNYP Hornell Ops

Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

Re: WNYP Hornell Ops

Postby Matt Langworthy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 pm

ckwwestshore wrote:By afternoons and evenings, Matt, what time do you mean? If I wanted to sit in Hornell for 3 hours on a Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, when should I?

I saw the WNYP pull into Hornell around 7 PM and depart about an hour later last August. As I understand it, the time for local to arrive in Hornell can vary a bit. I've seen the westbound 13T in the vicinity of 6 PM, too, so I'd recommend setting up around 5 PM and staying till 8 PM.
Matt Langworthy

"It is highly likely that the 1990s were an overrated decade."
Matt Langworthy

Postby sjl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:11 pm

My trip last week turned out to be pretty good. We arrived in Hornell around 2 on Sunday (6/13) just in time to catch an eastbound with 105 cars and a BNSF unit leading. We went east ahead of it to the McChesney Road crossing at Adrian, where it took to the siding to meet two westbounds. A very exciting 30 minutes!!! My SO got some real nice photos from the highway bridge over the stream at Adrian while I was further east down at the S curve. (I'm sure the eastbound crew wondered what she was doing out there, alone with no car obviously nearby....) Too bad it was so overcast.

On Tuesday 6/15 we were in Bath around 11:30 when a southbound LA&L went by with a single car. I caught a hurried shot, but didn't want to press my luck with my SO, so we didn't chase it to Painted Post. I still left a happy camper though....

Ron
sjl

Postby Matt Langworthy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:29 pm

sjl wrote:On Tuesday 6/15 we were in Bath around 11:30 when a southbound LA&L went by with a single car. I caught a hurried shot, but didn't want to press my luck with my SO, so we didn't chase it to Painted Post. I still left a happy camper though....

Glad to know your trips went well! :-D

I do have one piece of advice, though. While LA&L does own the B&H, the proper term for the train you saw in Bath is the the B&H (or using reporting marks: BHRR). The operations run separately, despite the relationship.
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Postby sjl » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks for the info Matt. I stopped at the PO in Hammondsport to mail a card and noted they have several old photos of HP on the walls. (Thankfully I did not see a photo of myself on the wall!) One of them showed a fair amount of trackage along the shoreline back in steam days.

Broader topic: Is there a decent general-history book on the railroads of the Finger Lakes area? I've seen railroad-specific titles, and I know several of them criss-crossed each other up to the Conrail years, but I don't know that I've seen a book that covers the lake rr's as a geographic area.

Thanks,

Ron
sjl

Postby Matt Langworthy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:11 pm

sjl wrote:Thanks for the info Matt. I stopped at the PO in Hammondsport to mail a card and noted they have several old photos of HP on the walls. (Thankfully I did not see a photo of myself on the wall!) One of them showed a fair amount of trackage along the shoreline back in steam days.

Broader topic: Is there a decent general-history book on the railroads of the Finger Lakes area? I've seen railroad-specific titles, and I know several of them criss-crossed each other up to the Conrail years, but I don't know that I've seen a book that covers the lake rr's as a geographic area.

Thanks,

Ron

You're welcome. I grew up in H'port, so the waterfront trackage was one of my favorite haunts as a kid.

No, there is no one single book covering the general history of RRs in the Finger Lakes. It is an interesting idea!
Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy

Previous

Return to Livonia, Avon, & Lakeville Family (LAL, BH, WNYP)