Welded Rail and Infrastructure Multi-Year Upgrades

Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

Postby clearblock » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:02 pm

There were 2 highrail dump trucks and a ballast regulator spreading stone working north from E River Rd across Erie Station Rd this morning.
Last edited by clearblock on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clearblock

Postby Mike Walsh » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm

clearblock wrote:There we 2 highrail dump trucks and a ballast regulator spreading stone working north from E River Rd across Erie Station Rd this morning.

...Confirmed.. I drove over the mainline on I90, and spotted work crews just south of I90 at approx 8:50am....
Mike Walsh

Postby alsorailfan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:44 am

9/12/07 2dump trucks, one filled and payloader at Golah. Ballast on laid out are the size of baseballs to softballs. The pile of stones are more to 'normal' size. Small pile of small stones/crushed stone is what i assume to be for the grade crossing.
Crews were doing welding work at the switch at Howlett Farm. Noticed a bunch of guys at the farmer's access road south of Howlett looking at it or to the north. Are there any plans for installing a switch south of Howlett?
Chris
alsorailfan

Postby Mike Walsh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 am

After talking to the folks yesterday, there are two to three weeks left on the trackwork project. All that remains is spreading ballast and tamping ballast. There is currently equipment stored at a local industry off of the LA&L mainline, so that mainline trains can run when the MOW crew is not working, and it is out of the way.
Mike Walsh

Postby alsorailfan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.
alsorailfan

Postby Mike Walsh » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:05 pm

alsorailfan wrote:Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.

I will let Luther announce, if he feels that it is appropriate.
Mike Walsh

Postby Luther Brefo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Mike Walsh wrote:
alsorailfan wrote:Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.

I will let Luther announce, if he feels that it is appropriate.

The tamper moves along the line as necessary.
Luther Brefo: LALRailfan.net
Moderator: LA&L, B&H, WNYP, ONCT
Luther Brefo

Postby Luther Brefo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Tamping of what appears to be size 3 ballast appears to have progressed to a point beyond East River Road. The mainline looks very clean!
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luther Brefo

Postby Matt K Dettman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Luther Brefo wrote:Tamping of what appears to be size 4 ballast appears to have progressed to a point beyond East River Road. The mainline looks very clean!

Some photos when available would be nice.
Matt K Dettman

Postby alsorailfan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:08 am

Is size 4 what we normally see along the surface of the ballast? What size do they put down first? And what size do they use for the grade crossing?

Chris
alsorailfan

Postby Luther Brefo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:14 am

alsorailfan wrote:Is size 4 what we normally see along the surface of the ballast? What size do they put down first? And what size do they use for the grade crossing?

Chris

First a correction on my part:

The stone being used is number 3 stone.

And onto your question.

Number 4 is larger stone and more common on high tonnage, high speed lines. Number 4 is also most effective for erosion control and maximum drainage. Number 3 works well for most railroads and is probably still the most common today. Number three can be used all throughout the railroad including Up to crossings, few public crossings, if any, are laid in stone. Asphalt is usually preferred. Number 3 stones are usually between 1 and 2.5 inches. Number four is usually 2 to 4 inches.

I'm no expert on this but I've been told that 3A can be used as sub-road as it packs pretty well.

The thing to remember is simply because number 3 three sotne was used when the track was installed or repaired or replaced, does not mean that years down the road, the stone will be in the same condition, it packs, it chips, it settles, it becomes contaminated (with soil, and other non ballast materials), amongst other things.

Again, I am no expert on the matter but this is what I have learned in conversations and by reading and a dash of experience here and there. YMMV. :)
Luther Brefo

Postby Luther Brefo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 am

It's basically done, folks...

The hard part is over. As far as I am aware, other parts (non welded portions) of the line may see some work in the future.

The high iron looks great!
Luther Brefo

Postby railwatcher » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 am

Luther Brefo wrote:
The hard part is over. As far as I am aware, other parts (non welded portions) of the line may see some work in the future.

One would hope that the Avon Industrial line get some attention. Many rotted out ties, and spikes coming right up out of the rails and plates. I realize its a low speed line but it looks like it is sinking in to the ground in places. Drainage work is needed also, from the fields between the Lakeville main and the industrial line. Gets real wet in the fall, winter and spring.

Maybe the Main above Brooks Rd. will see some upgrades, too. While the equipment is in place, they might as well make use of it.
~Greg Graves
railwatcher

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 am

I'm sure there are budgetary concerns as well. The industrial track to Kraft most likely sees routine maintenance, but because of it's low-speed nature, does not require the same level of rebuilding like the mainline does. I'm sure there's lots of housekeeping to be done before the spring rains, including clearing culverts and ditching along the main...

So essentially, LAL is back to it's normal operating routine?

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby Luther Brefo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm sure there are budgetary concerns as well. The industrial track to Kraft most likely sees routine maintenance, but because of it's low-speed nature, does not require the same level of rebuilding like the mainline does. I'm sure there's lots of housekeeping to be done before the spring rains, including clearing culverts and ditching along the main...

So essentially, LAL is back to it's normal operating routine?

-otto-

Trains are running in daylight once again! It is much easier to take photos of moving objects when one has the sun as the main source of light!

:)
Luther Brefo

PreviousNext

Return to Livonia, Avon, & Lakeville Family (LAL, BH, WNYP)