B&H questions

Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

B&H questions

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:27 pm

When was the last train that operated over the portion of the line that actually went into Hammondsport. I understand that the portion just north/east of Bath is still existing, but I am thinking more of the last train out of Hammondsport.

Also, how long did the scenic trains (using the blue/white coaches) last and where did the passenger cars end up?

Are there any plans to restore the line to Hammondsport?

Thanks all.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Re: B&H questions

Postby joshuahouse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:26 pm

I think this should all be on the forums (or wayback machine for the previous versions) but the last regular service in and out of Hammondsport would have been somewhere around 1996. That was for the Scenic Train. I don't know anything to speak of about freight in those days, but it would have all been along the historic Erie and DLW portion I believe.

The cars sat near the Agway in Bath for several years and were eventually moved to a siding just outside Kanona where iirc they were used for fire training and then scrapped.

The line has been ripped out and I believe formally abandoned (hopefully?) north of Main street in Hammondsport, although I believe the old engine house is still there.

I seriously doubt there will ever be a need for freight service anywhere along the line beyond the rt 54 crossing again.
Check out my photography from around the Finger Lakes. [url] http://joshua-house.artistwebsites.com/ ... +state/all[url/]
joshuahouse

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Postby ebtmikado » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Sadly, track is gone north of Rt. 54A, coming into Hammondsport.
When I was last there, in October, 2015, the hulk of the enginehouse was still there.

Lee
ebtmikado

Return to Livonia, Avon, & Lakeville Family (LAL, BH, WNYP)