Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

Re: Georgia Midland Railroad / Georgia Southern Railway

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu May 28, 2015 6:24 am

Statesboro Herald

Sounds like it was near the frog...

Train derailment closes roads in downtown Statesboro

Police rerouted traffic from South Main and Fair Road for about an hour and a half Wednesday after a train derailment.

Georgia Southern Railways operations center director Robert Athen said the cause of the derailment is yet unknown, but railway employees are investigating the incident.

There were no injuries, he said. The train did not overturn and no other vehicles were involved.

Statesboro police were on the scene immediately after the derailment was reported around 11:50 a.m., clearing portions of West Jones Avenue and South College Street for traffic. South Main Street and Fair Road were closed until around 1:30 p.m., according to reports from law enforcement radio traffic and Statesboro Police Cpl. Justin Samples.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ashley2771 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:53 am

not too bad and cleaned up quickly...
ashley2771

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:47 pm

I've relocated BACK to the Statesboro area; it seems the GSR is as busy as ever. Heard it downtown quite a bit Friday afternoon as late as 5 or 5:30. It seems like Howard and GAF get the majority of the business. The siding past Gateway Industrial Park has quite a few cars, and I've seen some centerbeams parked on the "main" just beyond Grady "Junction" near the library. Outside of that, I'm not sure how much business there still is in Metter, or below Southern States and aggregate cars.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ashley2771 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:48 am

that sounds good... although I live in Bulloch Co., I only make it to Statesboro about once a week and usually after the train has come and gone. I haven't noticed the fertilizer places, Bulloch Fertilizer and Tillman, Brannen, & Minick getting much traffic lately... can't speak to Metter at all.
ashley2771

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 pm

And so what happens today? STATESBORO HERALD

Brief, fair-use quote:

4 injured after train hits truck

A train struck a truck Friday afternoon on Old River Road at Maria Sorrell Road, and the driver had to be cut from the wreckage.

A woman and two children were sent by EMS to the hospital while emergency workers had to extricate the driver, whose legs were pinned, according to Bulloch County Sheriff's Sgt. Tracy Miller.

The driver, whose identity was not available at the scene, was airlifted to a Savannah hospital for treatment of visible, but nonfatal injuries to his body, Miller said.

I witnessed a crossing accident on the same railroad down in Metter, coming out of the scrap metal yard, a few years back. Very low speed minor impact. This may have bbeen a bit faster.

As far as I know, the crossing is unprotected outside of standard road signs. I believe this is at the old metal plant, long since closed. No one up this way, this close to the Dover connection, gets any cars anymore; it's pretty much a straight shot to Southern States at Statesboro before the road gets any business.

Still, the MAS is pretty low; train was probably only going 25 or less.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Looks like GSR will be picking up some more business at the southern end of their line, just above GAF:

Statesboro Herald

I believe this was a few months ago? But I just saw it. They'll be on the north side of AJ Riggs Rd, across from Great Dane (which does NOT get rail service). Since moving back last June, I've noticed how much GAF's traffic has picked up; there are always cars parked south of Jimps Rd on that siding. I haven't seen anything below GAF in quite some time; not sure if Southern States (at Gold Kist Rd) still gets hoppers or not. I have no idea when the last time they've been to Metter. Howard Lumber still gets quite a few center-beams. I've seen the power parked at Southern States off Northside/North Main and seen cars spotted along that stretch in town, but I've not seen anything at Bulloch Fertilizer in a long time. So it's still fairly active in and near town, but that's it.

Any other reports?

New $70 million plant to create 100 jobs in Bulloch County
The $70 million investment that Georgia officials announced Aspen Aerogels will make here is its commitment for just the first manufacturing line of what may become a three-line plant, John Fairbanks, the company's chief financial officer, said in a phone interview Monday afternoon.

"Our commitment is to invest at least $70 million - put it that way," Fairbanks said. "That's just what we intend to spend on the first manufacturing line, and our intent would actually be ultimately to construct three lines, total."
The need for rail access was a key factor in the choice of the particular site, Thompson said. This will require construction of a railroad spur from the existing Georgia Southern Railway line.

"We are going to pursue grant funding to help support the construction of that (spur)," Thompson said.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ashley2771 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 am

good to know GAF is doing well... they also used to spot rock hoppers for the asphalt plant next to Southern States... I've also heard that a paint manufacturer is coming to Metter and may become a customer along with the existing scrap metal place..
ashley2771

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:41 am

The few times I've looked, I haven't seen any rock hoppers at Southern States. I'm sure they still get them though. That's great news on Metter! Not sure what the scrap dealer still does; I've been trolling STB filings hoping not to see an abandonment filing!

I could see GaSR doing storage again; lots of idle coal cars.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ashley2771 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm

A guy who works for NS posted a picture of the GASR coming back from Metter thru Register a couple of weeks ago...
ashley2771

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat May 07, 2016 11:56 am

Was that on Facebook? Glad to hear there's still the occasional run to Metter.

And more good news: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/74187/

This is separate from the Aspen project; Gateway is really becoming a rail hub for the Boro. After seeing business decline south of Jimps to Register and Metter, and a decline to some of the in-town Southern States locations, it's nice to see GAF now, and potentially Aspen and the "Greyhound" company coming in. What I find really interesting is the mention of the potential of this spur to "incidentally benefit" the remainder of the park. It will be interesting to see how this is setup.

Given how busy GAF is, wonder if they'd expand.

‘Project Greyhound’ promises 40 jobs
Gets no tax break, but drives road and rail extension

The Development Authority of Bulloch County plans to use preparations for a new industry bringing 40 jobs and a $12 million capital investment to the Gateway Industrial Park as tools to maintain rail service and extend a road that could serve other industries as well.
The new project will get a separate rail spur from the one that will serve Aspen.

For a basic spur, projected to cost about $210,000, the "Greyhound" company is committed to pay the first $100,000, and the community, meaning the county and Development Authority, the next $110,000. If the cost exceeds $210,000, the company would pay the rest.

However, the county is applying for a federal Employment Incentive Program, or EIP, grant of up to $500,000 through the Georgia Department Community Affairs. If the grant is awarded, the county would use it to build the railroad spur specifically for this project, although it might incidentally benefit the remainder of the industrial park, Thompson said.
"We have received, outside of this project altogether, some concern from local companies who use this rail company about it being perpetual here in our community. ...," he said. "This will add a lot of sustenance to our rail company, because they are a pretty high rail user, we're told."
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu May 12, 2016 12:46 pm

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/74244/

The company is WL Plastics. They manufacture pressure pipe. Should be a good shipper.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby mterrell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Was back in the Boro today. The spur to Bulloch Fertilizer looks pretty rough, like it hasn't been used in quite some time. It's very overgrown over near El Sombrero on Fair Road.

Good to read about the Gateway business picking up.
mterrell

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 am

Bulloch Fertilizer actually had a car a couple weeks ago. I've got a shot of it somewhere after it had been pulled back up to Howard Lumber. Howard remains busy.

The Grinnell plant is being demolished: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/75401/ that's the one up by Maria Sorrell Road.

Grinnell plant

D.H. Griffin Companies, based out of Greensboro, North Carolina, has been contracted by the owner of the former Grinnell plant, located at 11021 Clito Road, to demolish the building. There is no news on any other development activity at this time for that location.

There was also some vandalism in the same area: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/75484/

KYLE SORRELL ROAD — About a tenth of a mile of railroad was reported damaged near Red Fern Plantation hunting preserve. There was damage to the railroad bed and to 168 railroad ties.

I imagine that must have impacted business. In any case, things look pretty good with new sidings by Gateway coming, even if some of the other business has slowed.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:11 am

It's been on busy week on the old Ogeechee. Earlier this week saw a 17-car consist pulled by GS' two GP's coming through town and heading up to Dover to interchange with NS. A couple of tanks from GAF, and a the rest were a string of hoppers from Southern States off 301.

The GP's have been running backside to backside so they can have the short hood forward whichever direction they're going for runarounds.

Today saw 2 more GAF tankers, a Potash hopper from Bulloch Fertilizer (second car they've had I believe in the recent past) and five centerbeams from Howard.

I'm lucky I now work on E Main St. right by the crossing, so I can hear them loud and clear. I'll have to explain the term "foamer" to my new coworkers LOL.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby mterrell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I indeed saw that Bulloch Fertilizer pickup recently, about a week ago. Hate to hear that about the vandalism. I saw downtown they have stacks of new ties, it looks like they are going to do some work on the track at some point.
mterrell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military